Kitchen color scheme....help!!!
Natalie Guillaume
I am not in love with this kitchen!! Keeping all of the cabinets and unfortunately the yellow tiles. Can't afford new right now. Open to changing the wall color and was thinking of
Painting just the upper cabinets to brighten things up a bit. The rest of this 1914 house is all in cool colors (pale blue, light grey, light green) but these yellow tiles are really throwing me off. Suggestions and ideas welcome!!!
indianpatti
What about painting the cabinets a medium gray? It would go well with the yellow tile. Paint the walls a light gray .. or maybe white?

Gray, white and yellow theme will look modern and fresh.

I would add a roman shade on the window.
August 17, 2013 at 7:09AM        Thanked by Natalie Guillaume
motownmom
While the yellow tiles may seem like a massive issue to you, at least they are a pleasant looking yellow.

Did you paint the moldings white? If this were me I'd probably paint the walls white because the room seems dark in spite of having a couple of windows. It will then give you a blank pallette. Painting cabinets is easy but tedious in my book. In other words, it's not hard to do, but time consuming. This article on Houzz has great information:

I've painted my cabinets twice already. You are going to want to prime them first then paint.

How long before you resolve the yellow tile issue? If it is going to be a white, I'd probably paint the upper cabinets in a yellow that is as close a match as possible. The same white as the walls is another option if you go that route.

The colors you mention having in the rest of your rooms sound "cottage-y" to me. Not necessarily in a cottage style, but those colors are in all my rooms that have a cottage feel to them. Pale blue, light grey and light green all go with yellow. You could bring those colors into this room with fabrics and decor that have yellow and some of those colors in them.

It sounds like you will be doing this room in stages as you save up money. You can decorate around the tiles, or perhaps consider covering them with beadboard paneling. You'd need a chair rail at the top to create a finished look and molding at the bottom. You'd attach them with construction grade adhesive. Then you could leave the yellow tile as your backsplash if you chose, or paint those. I've painted tile before and they looked like they were always that color. Or, you could remove those, and it would be a much smaller area to remove. Beadboard paneling is fairly inexpensive. It's a look you could leave up and no one would know the tile was there. Or, if you have other ideas, you could leave the tile for now and remove it later.

Good luck with your project.
August 17, 2013 at 7:10AM        Thanked by Natalie Guillaume
N.O.R,LLC
What about remove the tile and paint the back splash for now and infuture you can lay tile.
Paint the grey cabinet looks nice,dont paint the wall cabinet.
If you are not planning to change the backsplash,paint the rest of the wall yellow tone and not to add another color to your kitchen.I m thinking if your accent color be yellow and the rest be cool colors.
August 17, 2013 at 7:53AM      Thanked by Natalie Guillaume
jackiemom22
I like the light gray, white, and yellow combination suggested above. Looks fresh and sounds like it would flow with the other colors in your home. Just an F.Y.I., I have relatives that had tile professionally painted in their kitchen and bathroom, and I was surprised at how nice it turned out. It really does look like new tile!
August 17, 2013 at 7:58AM        Thanked by Natalie Guillaume
Natalie Guillaume
Thanks all! For now, all of the tiles are staying. We're knee deep in gutting a bathroom and can't do any other major/semi-major projects. I like they grey idea. For one reason I just cannot wrap my mind around that yellow!! The walls were white before but it's just too much contrast to the yellow, although the color we painted isn't really any better. Keep the ideas coming!!
August 17, 2013 at 8:20AM     
bschr
Would it be possible to remove the cupboards from around the window and replace with some open shelving? It may let some more light in and allow the window to breath a little. I like the idea of pale grey on the walls.
August 17, 2013 at 8:32AM        Thanked by Natalie Guillaume
historichouse65
I would paint the cabinets (at least the upper ones) Benjamin Moore White Dove (or similar) paint the walls a pale "greige" Ben Moore Pewter (or similar), Dove White trim and a new window treatment. These colors would diminish the impact of the yellow tile. On the floor a coordinating runner.
August 17, 2013 at 12:47PM     
brickln
I would paint the walls the same color as the dining room- blue/gray or green/gray. Get a new linoleum or vinyl floor (which is what's really bringing the room down), and add some colorful café curtains or roman shades. The cool colors of your home will blend well with the yellow- use them in the flooring and fabrics. Yellow brings warmth to your kitchen- work with it.
August 17, 2013 at 4:08PM        Thanked by Natalie Guillaume
brickln
The cabinets will paint up well, but it's a lot of work, and once you go that route, I think you'll find everything else looks tired. If you don't have the time or budget to do it all, or you intend a full remodel down the road, it's probably best forego painting them now. Just clean them up with one of those restorative cleaners to get them as light as possible given their age. Once the kitchen has color that isn't white or yellow based, I think the tiles will bother you less.
August 17, 2013 at 4:26PM     
Amy Wax
I would go a different direction which I think will be a better long term solution. I would keep the yellow tile but try to match it with the Color911 app. The app allows you to photograph it and pull the colors from it. I would use a paint color for the kitchen a yellow in the same family, it could be a shade lighter or slightly darker. The kitchen cabinets are a rich dark wood, I would install high hats in front of the cabinets to lighten the room and show off the beautful wood grain In the cabinets. Adding the light will brighten the room and it will be much more pleasant in the room and show off the cabinets.
August 17, 2013 at 5:06PM     
Natalie Guillaume
Thanks for the suggestions! We are thinking to go with new 12x12 floor tiles (just the vinyl peel and stick for now) which will help it look much more updated. Painting the walls the same grey as the rest of the main floor, and then painting the cabinets only if we're still not happy after those major changes.

Still brainstorming though....any other ideas are welcome!!!
August 17, 2013 at 5:35PM     
yoboseiyo
i like the idea of changing the upper cabinets to open shelving. that would make the room much more modern and open feeling. plus it would allow the light to spread out into the room more.

if you're not so much for open shelving all the way, you could take the doors off the two cabinets just to each side of the sink and paint the backs the wall color, and the bodies the same color as the rest of the cabinets.

if you paint the cabinets, i would do an almost charcoal on the bases, and a pale grey or white on the uppers.

and a pale pale pale grey on the walls.
grey and yellow look lovely together, and will make the tiles seem like a deliberate design decision, rather than an "i have to live with it" thing.

i feel like matching the wall color to the tile could be very difficult, and if you don't get it right, it'll look like you were trying, but not able to get there, which is not a look you want to have.
August 17, 2013 at 5:41PM     
bschr
I agree with yoboseiyo, the colour combo of yellow and grey is a natural. With the new flooring, the space will look a lot fresher. Btw you have beautiful trim on your window and door.
August 17, 2013 at 5:50PM   
brickln
Great plan, Natalie! There are always many projects ahead when you own an older home. Gray/yellow is such a strong trend right now and there are so many decorative options to make the space perfect. Look forward to your updates!
August 17, 2013 at 6:33PM   
Natalie Guillaume
Thoughts on these options? Hubby likes the darkest one but I like the far left one. Not in love with any yet but maybe a few says of staring at them will help lol

We will paint the wall grey soon, too!
August 19, 2013 at 4:35PM   
brickln
Either would look good, but if you want to tone down the yellow, I'd go with the darker choice.
August 19, 2013 at 5:51PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
How about painting the tiles white then you could play around more with wall and cabinet colours and tiles also. I don't think the grey with yellow would look nice if you keep the cabinets that colour - they need to be painted.
August 19, 2013 at 5:59PM   
jackiemom22
Since your kitchen has limited natural light, I would recommend a lighter floor. I think the option on the right may make the room feel too dark and closed in.
August 20, 2013 at 7:52AM   
The Taylor'd Room Interiors
The yellow tile is definitely something you can work with! I would not worry about it. Your accent color is already chosen for you, and luckily yellow is a really easy color to work with because there is plenty that goes with it. Personally, I would suggest going with grey colors for the rest of the kitchen.
August 20, 2013 at 7:56AM   
apple_pie_order
The floor tile in the middle has some gray colors mixed with whites and off whites. It may go well with the grays you already have. Can you show the tiles next to the gray paint you have in the rest of the house?

I agree with painting the walls the same gray as the rest of the house, or perhaps a shade lighter. Clean up the cabinets with a restoring finish and a new coat of varnish from the same line. Change the lighting to something brighter when you have the budget.

If you can photograph your kitchen again in daylight with the lights on, that would help people comment on colors more accurately. Looks like a good, functional layout.
August 20, 2013 at 8:22AM   
apple_pie_order
Great spice rack, by the way.
August 20, 2013 at 8:24AM   
Amy Stanley
I think your flooring should be decided not only by how it works with the yellow tile, but also your cabinets. Are you going to paint them or leave them wood?
August 20, 2013 at 8:29AM   
Natalie Guillaume
Okay here are some better pics. Morning and about 2pm lighting!

I think we will only paint the cabinets if we feel we need too, Nd even then only the uppers most likely. So I'm picking based on them staying, with the possibility of painting them white.
August 21, 2013 at 6:43PM   
apple_pie_order
Good photos, now we see how much color variation the lighting makes. Any photos of the cabinets in daylight? Or the gray paint in the other rooms?
August 21, 2013 at 7:12PM   
Natalie Guillaume
Here are the cabinets in daylight, and our living room (photo when we were still remodeling!) with the grey that would go in the kitchen. It's pretty light.

The cabinets are in good shape, so I'd like to not paint unless needed but I'm open to options!! :)
August 22, 2013 at 3:30AM   
taniawb
I would paint the wall the same grey as the living room and go with the center floor tile. Then if you are painting the cabinets go with the darkest grey from the same paint chit, in a high-gloss finish. Or you could clean the cabinets up and update the hardware on them, since they appear to be the same wood tone as your firplace trim, and that warm wood is a nice contrast against the cool grey walls.
August 22, 2013 at 3:55AM     
apple_pie_order
Thanks for the photos. The living room gray would be fine in the kitchen with the wood cabinets and the yellow tile. The middle (gray) tile would be a good choice, too. The tan tile would be my second choice. The vinyl tile will always have tiny gaps between tiles, so be prepared for it to look a lot like what you have. There are some new products that are almost like grout that allow you to fill in those tiny gaps. I haven't used them. They might, however, allow you to spiff up your current vinyl tile.

Nice drawers and stove arrangement. There are tips online for improving old drawer slide-ability if the drawers need some help.
August 22, 2013 at 6:32AM     
need help with a lighter brighter color scheme in my kitchen
right now the kitchen has dark floors, dark wood cabinets,...
Need help with color scheme for kitchen
Hi everyone, I am demolishing existing kitchen in...
Kitchen update- help with color scheme etc.
We just bought a new home and I love the layout of...
Kitchen help- color scheme/floor/counter
I will be redoing my floors and counter tops in my...
Need help with color scheme for living room/kitchen...
I just bought flat with an open floor plan combining...
Need help with awkward wall space
Need help with what to put on akward wall next to corner...
Help! What color handrails, shutters, door and gutters??!!!
1979 duplex. Moved in recently. Really love the beach...
Should we knock down this wall to let more light into the bathroom?
We're starting a bathroom reno but are trying to figure...
Tile for backsplash - which would you choose?
We have narrowed our choices down to the two pictured...