Second Floor Deck With or Without Steps To Grade
ajd123
On a new build there is a deck at the back of the house. If I add steps from the deck to the backyard grade it eats up quite a bit of backyard space, but adds the convenience of backyard access. Should I keep or remove the steps?
SawHorse Design + Build
Depends on what room the deck is attached to. If it is a family room where there will be lots of traffic and going through the lower level will be inconvenient, then the step are a good option. If it is a master bedroom, then you would want to maintain your privacy.

Can you move the steps off to the right side of the deck as noted in this elevation? How would they look from the fronts of the house?
August 17, 2013 at 8:41am        Thanked by ajd123
Scott Design, Inc.
I encourage access to the lawn. Can you move the entry to the stairs further to the right on the deck and then step down two or three steps to an interim platform and then take a right down the steps to the lawn. Would this approach keep the stairs out of the line of sight from the lower door?
August 17, 2013 at 8:43am        Thanked by ajd123
ajd123
The deck is off the family room on the main floor. Ideally I would like the steps to the right side of the deck and have them descend along the side of the house. Unfortunately, I believe the city's setback requirements will not allow for this. The deck without the steps is a much cleaner look, however, convenience was steps to the backyard are a huge plus. Especially when entertaining guests...
August 17, 2013 at 8:53am   
SawHorse Design + Build
What about making the deck even bigger? Then the steps may be able to come off of the left side of the deck if you double the size. You can have even bigger parties then.
August 17, 2013 at 8:57am        Thanked by ajd123
It depends on how you use the backyard and how 'safe' do you feel with people able to come up to the 2nd level deck.
August 17, 2013 at 9:10am      Thanked by ajd123
ajd123
Bigger deck and bigger parties would be nice, however, there is a bay window next to the deck which would not really facilitate enlarging the deck. I am not concerned about the "safety" or "security" issue of having 2nd floor access from the backyard.
August 17, 2013 at 9:16am   
ajd123
There is always to option of putting a wrought iron spiral staircase off to the right side?
August 17, 2013 at 9:18am     
Scott Design, Inc.
Now that I see the full elevation, it seems the only approach to such a narrow deck is the current proposed location of the stairs where they will not interfere with the lower exit..
August 17, 2013 at 10:42am      Thanked by ajd123
FINNE Architects
I vote for eliminating the stair from the deck. The stair actually makes the deck feel less contained, and the deck will be much easier to furnish without the steps. There must be other ways to get to the backyard.
August 17, 2013 at 10:49am        Thanked by ajd123
smileyface2013
I would not have stairs from the deck myself, as a preference. I think you could always put them in later, if you feel you miss them. I assume there is access to the yard from another location.
August 17, 2013 at 11:12am      Thanked by ajd123
DMH DESIGN
Ajd-Consider having your architect provide a stair design that has carriage, railing and tread only, to minimize the shade. Put it to the side of the deck which has the least impact relating to natural light into the ground floor of your home. Happy Houzzing.
August 17, 2013 at 11:32am      Thanked by ajd123
andj32
Spiral staircase would look nice and save a lot of space. We redid our deck and replaced the traditional staircase with a spiral and gained tons of space on the lower deck.
August 17, 2013 at 11:50am        Thanked by ajd123
ajd123
Thanks all for the insight. Think I will leave it off, and add it after the fact if necessary.
August 17, 2013 at 12:22pm   
Supreme Floor Company
This just the plans we are looking for.. for an upscale apartment above coffee house.were can I purchase plans for this..
August 17, 2013 at 7:53pm   
ajd123
This Is a detached single dwelling house.
August 17, 2013 at 8:56pm   
Bloom'n Gardens Landscape
I would suggest wider steps centered on the French doors, with an intermediate landing if space allows, and slim metal balusters.
August 20, 2013 at 6:01am   
Strange shape bathroom decoration with Porcelanosa tiles
I have a dilemma with the following shape bathroom....
i need help with my tiny studio apartment
I need help on how I can make it look better
Small bathroom
Is it okay to have a patterned shower curtain in a...
Modular Kitchen
These days coloured panels are used on drawers. Any...