Living Room Design & Decor Help
spacidy
We bought these couches and this table recently but the room is not coming together like I wanted it too. I know I need a rug & drapes but I can't figure out what to do as far as style/color.

-Leather Chair & ottoman can be replaced
-Want to replace the Bar Stools
- TV needs to stay where it is over fireplace
-Sherwin Williams Wheat Grass is on the walls (green color family)

Please send your suggestions! I know i need stuff on the walls too but I just can't decide what! Also need some end tables but can't figure out where they should go (maybe one in between the Couch & Love Seat?)?
lisadolanroth
Consider swapping the locations of both couches. (Long couch on long wall might look better?) You have safe colored couches and safe colored floors...consider adding more of that nice green within the space. I would either shop for the rug or art first. Get a nice sized rug with more than safe colors but include the green. It will help tie the room together. Have some of your wall art include the green. Ditch four of the patterned pillows for two in green family and two from either rug color or wall art. You can keep the chair and ottoman but put it on the third corner to make a conversation triangle. Consider eliminating items on coffee table for a large but short colorful bowl and add a cool collection or Granny Smith apples.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by spacidy    August 17, 2013 at 2:38PM
abbyjean
You were just given great advice.....switch the couch and love seat and they will fit that space better and move the chair to the other side of the fireplace so each piece has its own space now. Try a floor lamp by the chair and a SMALL table for a glass for that space, too.....unless it can use the hearth for that. A table between the couch and love seat with a lamp on it makes good sense, too. Then center art over the couch. If there is room, try a nice palm in that vacated window area. Use green for your accent colors so the wall paint has a reason to be there....it is a great shade and pillows will be awesome in a pattern with it on that furniture. Include the chair when you get the pillows. Try a green patterned throw over the chair.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by spacidy    August 17, 2013 at 2:48PM
Norma Sassone
Love you wall color! I would work with that sage green and a pop of color like turquoise or orange to spice things up. Are you in love with the TV over the fireplace (I get annoyed craning my neck to watch TV so high up!) I think it would be much better on the empty green wall in a cabinet that closes with the sofa facing it with its back to the counter with the stools. Then the love seat could go in front of the stairs and not be blocking that doorway or niche under the stairs. I think the chair with the ottoman might be too much furniture for the room, if you add a cabinet and could go in a sitting area in your master bedroom, perhaps. The coffee table needs to be much much closer to the sofa and love seat, in order to be useful.See cabinets and color schemes below. Also on the other cabinet shelves you could pick up the sage and turquoise color scheme.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 2:49PM
spacidy
What about one of these rugs? Or are they too green? I don't really love the traditional Oriental rugs & I live in South Houston off the Galveston Bay so I am okay going slightly coastal.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:08PM
abbyjean
Not too green at all! OH! A rug like either one would make such a difference in that room, too!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:10PM
spacidy
Or these?
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:13PM
abbyjean
Your coffee table will sit about in the middle of the rug.......consider that when you choose the pattern......will having the middle of the rug hidden affect it too much? AND the rug will give you the accent color or colors. Which of those do you like for pops of color in the room with art and pillows?
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:25PM
spacidy
Ok - I moved the Furniture around based on some suggestions, what does everyone think now? Does this work better?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 6:31PM
Laura E.
For starters, the paint on the walls with its green tone does not compliment your brown/cocoa colored furniture. I would change the paint color to something in the brown neutrals - Truffle by Benjamin Moore or even warm cream. I would also add a pop of color with pillows and art work. Way too much beige and brown going on. I would add some cream and or pale blue colored pillows for contrast and maybe replace the brown leather chair/ottoman with a patterned chair with pale blue and brown pattern/design. Then you could get a rug with brown, cream, and blue. The paint has to go, though. It just doesn't go with the furniture.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:28PM
lisadolanroth
I really like the new layout!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:51PM
pegonia1
Love the new layout!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:55PM
Norma Sassone
This new arrangement definitely looks better. That said, I still like the fireplace perpendicular to the television for less neck craning while watching - but maybe that's just me. An awful lot of folks seem to like that high up placement. To me it is like being late for a new movie and you have to sit in the front row!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:55PM
abbyjean
I really like this room now! The pieces just seem to fit this way.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 10:05PM
HELP me design and decorate my small living room! !
I do not have an eye for decorating and I don't have...
blaird87
Living room design and decor
Looking for a way to space out my furiture for tv use,...
dixie415
Living room design/balance decorating
I can't seem to balance the area on both sides of the...
maryellenraymer
Need help with living room design & decor
I am not sure what or how to make a focal point in...
Charli Beth
need help decorating/ designing living room
Keeping the existing curtains in the room how should...
huz101
Is it easy to put hardwood in later?
Hey everyone, we may be buying a fairly costly house...
mehersingh
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Furnitures for my New House
I'm currently shopping for new furnitures for my new...
lindie88
wall color advise!
I want to paint my kitchen / dining room. What color...
sarahdyck77
color
is it ok and will it look good if I have SW Pure White...
card1