Need help fitting a guest bedroom into my small theatre room
belvederestation
I have a huge, nice surround sound theater system I am fitting into a town home bedroom. My problem is that this room must also double as a very accessible bedroom for my elderly father who spends months at a time with us. What type of seating/ sleeping can i possibly fit in there that would be copacetic? A regular queen size bed will not fit with the big theater system.
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
You need to post a floor plan with the room size and door locations for anyone to be able to answer you. You also need to post photos. If your dad is elderly, the mattress on a futon, fold-out couch or pull down wall bed might be uncomfortable or too low to get up without assistance. Is he OK sleeping on a twin bed against a wall? It can be a decorative day bed, that is additional seating with lots of pillows when he isn't in town. You might also want to buy a recliner chair with the electronic lift system. It looks like a regular recliner in your choice of fabrics, but it makes all the difference in the world with an older person who might be getting stiffness or joint problems. He might be OK now, but changes in mobility will come on quickly. They can get up and down without having to ask for help. Make sure to have a strong table near his bed for glasses, alarm clock, flash light, any future medical equipment or anything he might want to reach during the middle of the night. Do not get a low bed. Keep a waterproof pad on the mattress. A padded one with fabric cover so the plastic doesn't make him hot. Wrap one around the inside cushion in the chair. He doesn't need to know. Make sure that he can turn on a light from his bed and from his chair. Find a lamp with an easy pull chain. You can also do a "clap on" light or a remote. Consider a ceiling fan. Other than that, furnish the room with comfortable TV chairs. Make sure that there aren't floor lamps or things that are easy to knock over. Be careful with any area rugs. They are easy to trip over.
August 17, 2013 at 10:09PM   
belvederestation
Thanks! This is extremely helpful. I have posted the floor plan below (hopefully). The room is a square 11 feet 7 and 1/2 inches on each wall. The home theater takes up the entire wall with the entry door, and there are big tower speakers beside the tv stand as well as speakers on the tv stand and in the corners of the opposite wall. My concern with a daybed is that it is awkward to sit on a day bed and watch a movie. There is no back and the pillows are never comfortable for very long; however, he will have trouble getting on and off a futon (you are correct about this), and it is not clear there is room for the much needed recliner with lift. Perhaps the recliner should be the bed? This does not seem healthy... I have a very comfortable couch bed, but it cannot be pulled out to its Queen size bed because there will be no room to walk in the room.
August 18, 2013 at 5:05AM   
Try saving the floor plan as 'jpeg' file as it didn't get attached.
August 18, 2013 at 5:56AM   
With the day bed, you can put a piece of plywood between the mattress and the box spring to make it a bit stiffer for sitting. You can also have deep large bolster pillows made to lean on. He needs a bed to sleep on. If you have him sleep in the chair, he will be miserable to live with. Are you good sitting on bean bags on the floor to watch movies? Look for a wooden frame bed with a wooden back. Or consider putting the twin bed to the side corner and putting 2 big chairs backed up the the wall opposite the TV. When he's there, you can move one of the chairs out of the room and move an end table next to his bed.
August 18, 2013 at 2:32PM   
August 18, 2013 at 2:33PM   
belvederestation
This is great advice. Thank you so much.
August 18, 2013 at 6:15PM   
apple_pie_order
Have you thought about devising a secondary place for the sound system and home theater set? If you can move the main kit and kaboodle to another room (living room?) in a few hours, once you know your father is coming to visit, you will be able to move it out of the way and into a more public area. Often you can just unhook the speakers and plug in another set in another room. It doesn't have to be a primo secondary set of speakers and accoutrements. A second cable connection is not very expensive to add in our area, YMMV.

I would look into Murphy beds. Much more comfortable than futons or pull out couches or inflatable mattresses if you are an older, not so flexible person. Other advice from Susan Berry is excellent.
August 18, 2013 at 6:40PM   
Need help for my small guest room.
I purchased the bedskirt as shown with the same pattern...
Need help with my small bedroom/art/laundry room.
I have a 12x12 bedroom. This room includes a normal...
Need help on placing two twin beds in L shape in small guest bedroom
Hi, is it necessary to place a small square table in...
Flooring choices
I've been thinking of putting a faux wood porcelain...
Need advice! My cats are shredding my beautiful Pottery Barn rug!
I spent months looking for the perfect area rug for...
Please help me with this space.
I don't want to cover the window and the rad needs...
Curtains curling on sides
Can anyone tell me please how to keep these curtains...
drapes
How bad would drapes be that stopped right above a...