Traditional 1.5 story cape, conversion to colonial
capetocapemover
What are the logistics/cost of converting a 1.5 story 1970 cape with a low pitched roof into a classic colonial with a finished attic, and two small dormers on the front. The foundation measurements are approximately 26 x 36. The ceiling height in the first floor is low enough for a 6 foot male to stand on toes and touch ceiling. Great family neighborhood with beach access is the reason to do this. Our family won't fit in the current floor pan and the current roof pitch is fairly flat. I think this is the reason conversion to colonial was suggested rather than shed dormers. There is a kitchen and 1 bay garage attached to the right of the main house. The builder ball parked 125 to go upwards. Is this correct? Our family definitely won't fit into the house as is.
The most economical route is to add on top of existing foundation, otherwise it depends on how the rooms are configured and lot setbacks for doing an addition to the house.
August 18, 2013 at 6:15am     
capetocapemover
Thank you. The lot setbacks are fine. Would the 26 x 36 foundation accommodate a traditional colonial? What would the expected cost be?
August 18, 2013 at 5:16pm   
capetocapemover
Here is the house. We have an estimate of 140 for a second floor finished with 3 Bdrm 2 full baths wood floors plus third floor attic finished into 2 rooms with shed dormer on the back. Also looking to convert the 1 car garage into a dinette area. Will the scale be too small with the foundation size? We are really looking for a classic New England colonial look. Could see it painted white
August 22, 2013 at 8:05am   
Are all double ovens noisy?
Looking to purchase a KitchenAide double oven. Reviews...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Wall color in new bathroom?
Hi Guys, I have posted here before but the colours...
Tile issue
My bathroom is almost completely tiled, and I'm happy...
need help deciding counter top color!!
We have champagne color travertine in our kitchen....