Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyhome4u

Large open floor plan delimma

Rita M
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Help. Can see 4 rooms from great room. Master BR, dining room, keeping room and great room run together. Need critique and tips on pulling them together. All book shelves, and trey ceilings are painted red but this color is my least fav color and want to downplay. Trying to update with more modern color combos like teals, oranges, blues. Not sure about curtains and whether they are complimentary?My master BR can be seen and is all teals and browns which I love. link to my page to see rest of pics... Thanks bunches for any help.

Comments (35)

• yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    if you hate the red, i'd repaint the ceilings, or get them repainted.
    that'll make the rest of your decorating much easier, since as it is now, you're having to work with it.
    Rita M thanked yoboseiyo
  • Rita M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have definitely given heavy thought to completely phasing out the red tone but it would be at least $2000 to get red painted over bcz it will require lots of coats and 24 ft high trey ceiling included will need major scaffolding ect. plus cost of replacing red ottoman $600, plus changing out accent chair in keeping room $600, plus rugs under both dining tables have reds $1000, plus pillows and curtains starts racking up. EEK!
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    I actually like the cranberry - very pottery barn. It's a good accent color. Your home is very nice! The color I'd suggest painting is the yellowish color by the entry. Try to stick with 2 colors - green and 10% cranberry. I don't like the red ceiling in the dining room. It is too bold and exceeds the 10% guideline for an accent color. Also, I can't see what is red upstairs on the right. For dining ceiling I would search Houzz, Dining room, tray ceiling - see if there are better colors/treatments. You really can't go long with this pretty house. Good work so far!
    Rita M thanked crp1234
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Again, for main body color I would suggest one or the other - not both green and yellow. Gets too crayon box looking. You can still keep all your furniture the same. Painters aren't too expensive. We just had our stairway painted for less than $1k and they also painted all the windows white and the ceiling. Here is a picture.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    This was some crazy scaffolding!
  • Rita M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks. That is what I was concerned about was too many colors. The main wall color is called Camelback that covers all walls thoughout. It tends to look more goldish in some lighting than others. It was supposed to be neutral but it must appear yellow bcz foyer light is on in photo. The red tray in entry is 2 stories high and can be seen from all rooms also. I thought It was best to stick with same accent color to tie in all the rooms and avoid colors fighting. Can you give suggestions on a new color to cover the areas that are red while keeping the main wall tone?
  • Rita M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We just had entire main floor including upstairs halls in catwalk area 3 years ago and it cost $5800! I felt stuck in the greens/cranberry tones bcz that seemed like all the stores offered for decorating ideas then. Not sure I could justify redoing it all so soon. eek! Was hoping for minimal changes now that would allow me to move toward new color scheme to carry to next house.
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    10 years ago
    One thing that sticks out to me, is there is too many bold patterns going on with the pillows. IF you are looking for a different color scheme, I would think about all new throw pillows and a different ottoman. You have a nice neutral sectional, so anything will work with it. For window treatment think about hanging them on the upper windows. Right now where they are hanging it cuts the room in half and hides a little of the great big windows you have, plus since you can see them upstairs you want the room to be visual pleasing from everywhere in the house.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    You might remove all the color and start over with a new area rug, letting its colors determine the direction to take.
  • Rita M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about the other room?. How is most of my decor flowing? Pottery barn look?Is editing accent color and pillows my only issue? What are rules adjoining rooms and color schemes?
  • Rawketgrl
    10 years ago
    I don't see a problem, your home is lovely. If you are planning to move in the next few years anyway the new owners will paint the whole house a greige neutral, so just enjoy your beautiful home and work on the accessories and color scheme you want for new house.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Your house is beautiful! You don't have to overhaul. If you are just looking for ways to remove cranberry color - get a slip cover made for the ottoman (or get a dark brown leather) and repaint dining ceiling color. Let me see if I can find some dining ceiling treatments for ya. Don't fret! Your house is very nice. Also, make sure to always get 3 quotes. It should not have cost $5,800 to paint. Sometimes contractors overbid when they don't want the work. You would think they all want the work - right? No! Some don't want to hassle with ladders and scaffolding, while others don't mind and are comfortable doing that work and do it often.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/408019

I wouldn't add more accent colors
    To the walls. Accent colors don't have to be on the walls - with decor is enough. Here is an example of a beige (your dining room color) with a beige ceiling. I think there is a rule that you have to go 2 shades on your paint card darker for ceilings because they look lighter. You'll have to spend some time on Houzz double checking that and looking at ceiling treatments. This website has helped me through every stage of a MAJOR renovation.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Also rope lighting + trim around the tray ceiling you have would be gorgeous and cheap!
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/4369780

Here is another example of the ceiling just staying white. Since you can see it from every room, you probably want to avoid adding more colors on top of existing green and beige. Just my opinion. Hope this helps!
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Lastly, too many pillows on the couch. Put some of those is beds. They always say decorate and then remove 5-10 things. :)
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Would it be too expensive to change the green to the beige/camelback color? That would make it look a million times better. It appears those ceiling heights are lower on green walls.
  • Rita M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Totally grateful for your help and suggestions!. Actually ALL the walls are beige color called Camelback. the red (called crabapple)is only other paint color which is just in tray ceilings and book shelves....none are green. No other colors are on walls. Perhaps shadows and lighting in pictures are giving bad impression of wall color? Do I still stick with neutral in tray as well?
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Wow! There isn't any green? Half the was look green from the picture. The wall behind the sofa especially. If all is beige, then no you don't have to stick with beige for tray ceiling. I would still do a neutral, just a dark neutral. Since I can't really see the color beige very well it's hard to say for sure. Here is something just I just saw that might help.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Can you upload a picture of the bookshelves?
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/1739738

What do you think about putting a cool wallpaper on the tray ceiling?
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
  • Rita M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are more views. Perhaps can see wall color n accents better.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    If it were me - I would probably do wallpaper in dining room and take one shade from wallpaper for tray ceiling.

If I was trying to update more minimally, I'd paint ceiling either white/slightly darker than wall color/wallpaper ceiling/ or paint chocolate color. And definitely add rope light and molding to tray.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Ahhh I see now! Okay - new plan on ceiling in dining room. Since you have chair rail/wc don't do white or a dark color.

Recommendation: wallpaper the tray like the picture I sent you or just do camelback or a darker shade of camelback. Otherwise you will shorten the room.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    I would keep the red accents. Just not the red ceiling. They look good.

Pull off a few pillows & paint tray ceiling another color.

Don't forget to post your final results!!!!
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/87708

Example of same wall color on ceiling w WC.
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/1806164

Most of what I'm seeing on Houzz with your set up is actually white ceilings.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1806164
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    I also like greige if you were ever to repaint. That is what I did.

http://houzz.com/photos/406706
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Official thought...white ceiling. Houzz has changed my mind.

http://houzz.com/photos/1497364
  • Rita M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love hearing your thoughts. Here is pick of bookshelves requested above. I guess I always thought tray ceilings were details to highlight. Lots of homes here in Georgia tend to go with red on walls in dining room and many model homes here have varients on colors in tray ceilings.I will definitely look into more quotes to repaint! I was actually leaning toward changing to blue or green tone or grey but now I will rethink white. I have been waiting on new rugs with 3 year old so would picking a pattern for curtain or pillow be another way to inspire new colors for room?
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Yes, many home builders accentuate tray ceilings for 2 reasons: 1) a point of differentiation vs other models and 2) to entice you to upgrade and get the tray ceiling. Don't feel like you have to go color crazy. Usually a neutral of some type (white/beige/brown) is the safest way to go. Think about it, you grew tired of the red. Put your accents in the inexpensive/easy to change decor. Have you considered mirrors behind your bookshelves? A glass company can do that for you. Personally, I would stick with neutral paint. It makes it easy to change the look as often as you like with accessories. In my first house I did an eggplant accent wall, but had it painted over in less than a year. A wall is like such a commitment to a specific style/look. I'm more timid I guess...not to mention indecisive. I like to hit up Homegoods and grab something cool and don't want to worry if it clashes.