Love your design and mix of woods
katpic
August 18, 2013 in Photo Questions
can you pls tell me the woods you've used on both sets of cabinets, island and perimiter and what treatments you did, stain, paint, glaze, antique? thanks. gorgeous balance. the island top is exquisite? what is that and how was it treated? is it difficult to maintain?
Platinum Designs, LLC - Ian G. Cairl, Designer
Hi and thanks so much for your note! The creamier tone, is actually a semitransparent paint (lacquer); the wood I specified on this cabinetry is Cherry, a more rustic grade... the paint is applied, then burnished, and other wear effect details added. This is then sealed, and a glaze applied and hand wiped. This does receive a top coat, all together about a 7 step process. The resulting effect is that one can actually see the grain of the wood through the paint, one of the reasons Ilike to use cherry as a base, rather than the typical hard Maple...the glaze has a strie effect as well, and where the paint has been burnished it grabs and locks into the paint a bit more. The lighter wood is Rustic/Knotty Alder. this has a blended stain finish that I developed for the client with various distrssing techniques, as well as a glaze applied too. The darker inlays are a burled Yew veneer, finished with a more Cordovan toned stain and clear coat...

The island top we made from Locally harvested Black Walnut. It is about 2.25" thick, made of solid hardwood (not laminated) We distress and burnish it with various tools, and then apply an oil-neutral finish to it...This makes a hygienic top as the enzymes within the wood are allowed to act upon any bacteria landing on it. For other tops we may apply a marine type finish that seals it much more, and doesnt require periodic oiling. These tops deal wiht sinks much better, but can show scratches more readily than the oil neutral finish. The Naturl oil neutral finish make a much softer, natural feeling to the top, so I tend to try to use this technique as much as possible... Typically, the tops needs oiling about once a month (more frequently initially) but this is a very easy process. There are many products locally available for this. As time goes by the oil saturaiton level goes up, and it is needed less frequently. Mild soap and water is all that is needed for cleaning. We do suggest a cutting block to be used, to protect it, although we have a few tops that are actually used to cut upon directly.

Thanks again! Ian
August 19, 2013 at 11:30am      Thanked by katpic
Fix my fireplace
Hi! I would love some help on redesigning my fireplace....
Need help with outdoor siding colours
Hello, We are looking to redo the siding on the house...
Are you a big fan of glamping or camping?
I'm not a camping fan at all. I can't stand not knowing...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...