Looking for living room design/decorating inspiration
kikiqlee
Looking for some design inspiration for our living room. We just moved cross-country, and all we have is a large, flat screen TV (and an IKEA birch-colored Poang chair & footrest, which do not need to stay).

I was thinking of putting the TV on a large table/stand against the far wall, a couch against the window nook area, with a chair or two facing the TV/wall, and maybe an ottoman as a coffee table. I'd like to keep the flow somewhat open to the kitchen/dining area. I was considering espresso-colored furniture, but I don't want to darken the space too much (there's a lot of light that comes in). There are light-blocking ivory shades on all the windows, so no window treatments are needed.

Any ideas for other furniture arrangements, design ideas, and color schemes? Especially couch color? I'd like the space to be comfortable but also fit into the style of the the apt (contemporary?) We also have a baby on the way, so kid-friendly furniture/fabric would probably be good.
Granite Grannies
What about a small sectional? I think a light gray couch would look great under the window. You could add some fun colored pillows for an accent. Like mustard? A blue patterened rug would be a nice contrast to your light floor. Happy Decorating!

Marin Remodel
Modern living
August 19, 2013 at 12:13PM        Thanked by kikiqlee
jessicamichelleinteriors
I see you have some grey and blue already in the area so as far as furniture goes i would continute those colours. Other colours that tie in with those two would definitely be some dark purples or maybe a yellow. Obviously, you'd have to decide to either go the light way which would be yellow, or the dark way, purple. I have attachedd two ideas for you to consider. perhaps low to the ground furniture would be a good option for you ( kid won't fall off couch...) i personally had a high couch as a child and i fell off and cracked my head open at 2 years old!
August 19, 2013 at 12:21PM        Thanked by kikiqlee
Dorota Mitoraj
Something like this may work for you.
August 19, 2013 at 12:58PM      Thanked by kikiqlee
Yes TV on that wall hope it's very big 50". To fill space. Put on a chest type in lacquered black. Placing tall silver and either yellow or lime green accents on it like tall pots at one end in groups of 3. A built in window seat would work end to end low. black and white chevon print pillows. Then fill with peacock color and gray pillows to it. Float a sectional in room with a chaise on each end and a 2 seater. Modern light gray chrome legs. Keep art and area rug contemporary. Area rug 8x10 float in front of sofa. Graphic design in grays, black and accent color. Window covers roman shades flat type. Charcoal. Leave half way down. Add a round glass dining table with tall back leather chairs 4. Table 40" get a modern base. Like dark wood. Keep art big and bold colors. You have a very nice contemporary space. Keep un cluttered. A 20" zebra round ottoman in front of sofa. In bare corners add bamboo. Ikea has some, plus art and area rugs. Could always go cow hide in black and white for in front of sofa float by TV.
August 19, 2013 at 1:15PM      Thanked by kikiqlee
Pier one has great buy on dining chairs and tables. On sectional there are glass and chrome tables that can slide under sofa and act as end tables on chaise. Pier one also ch Z Galleries for accessories.
August 19, 2013 at 1:19PM      Thanked by kikiqlee
kikiqlee
Thanks for all the suggestions! If I wanted a bit more contrast and had one dark brown piece (perhaps a dark brown leather couch?) how would you incorporate the other colors (gray, mustard)? I think a sectional might cut the flow into the dining area, so I'm thinking of a regular (3-seater) couch. I like the ottomans in jessicamichelleinteriors first photo, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the colors with the darker couch? Or would the color palette change? Thanks!
August 21, 2013 at 3:32PM   
Pure Home
What a gorgeous space!

Here is a link to some beautiful sofas.
http://www.purehome.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=desc&order=relevance&p=2&q=sofa

And, we took your room image and paired it with some items- clearly not where they would actually fit in the room- just an idea of cohesivity within your space! Good luck!
August 21, 2013 at 4:14PM        Thanked by kikiqlee
melyndaben
How about this color scheme. I'm liking the light wood furniture in a sectional style. You can pick any color scheme, but the purples and royal jewel tones are nice with the grey colors of your walls.
August 21, 2013 at 7:39PM      Thanked by kikiqlee
Natalie
Great space... Keep it monochromatic---bring in color with art... Pics for inspiration... Good Luck!
[houzz=False Creek Condo][houzz=ChromaLuxe][houzz=Honore-Transitional Dining Room]
August 21, 2013 at 7:57PM      Thanked by kikiqlee
August 21, 2013 at 8:00PM        Thanked by kikiqlee
Keitha
@melyndaben, nooooooooo!!!
August 21, 2013 at 8:11PM     
chemayne
The walls are a great backdrop for pictures and art cased in brushed gold frames like these examples:
PB Gilt Frames

The modern lines of this lamp complements the room.
Worlds Away Mod Table Lamp with Brass Base
August 21, 2013 at 8:20PM   
Too much tan? Living room design/decor help desperately needed.
We just moved into our new house, the walls were repainted...
Living Room design/decor help!
Please ignore the mess! We're not sure what to do to...
Need Design/Decorating Help for my 11' x 14' Upstairs Bonus Room!!!
I am currently building a house and have a small Bonus...
Looking for design inspirations for our rustic living room.
We love the features: the open beams, iron gas stove...
I love your office, it served as inspiration to decor my living room!
However, I'm strugling with my sofa, because is dark...
Rug help!
Hello, I'm a newbie to this, and a little nervous....
Pocket or folded doors and windows
I like the pocket door/windows, but find them extremely...
Need help looking for kitchen backsplash.
Help need finding the right kitchen backsplash with...
Need decorating ideas
Hi creative people: So, I'm moving into a new space...
Please help me with this space.
I don't want to cover the window and the rad needs...