We have just bought a red lounge suite and need help with accessories
bumbles12
The red lounge suite is going in a "hog bristle"(light beige) coloured room with bursa beige marble floor and timber furniture. It's so bright and I need help! Any advise please would be helpful. We live by the sea.
chemayne
Pushing this up the queue for suggestions
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 8:39AM
abbyjean
Not too bright at all! How fun to decorate with this! Choose another color to use in this room and let the two colors play together. Maybe a yellow or a blue. Get art with those colors for over this piece and some fun pillows. How about a small rug to warm up the space just a bit. Put some red on the shelves in the cabinet......that will really tie the furniture in with the accents, too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 8:52AM
I'm going to suggest chocolate as a balancing influence - perhaps chocolate and white trellis rug, and some chairs in a chocolate and white print. Add some print fabrics and it will all come together - perhaps hang a straight roman shade at the ceiling, so it forms a valance and keeps the view open, but adds softness and starts to tell a color story.

If you back print fabric with a ultrasuede on a pillow back it won't slide down the leather sofa - for isnpiration see http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=63&productID=8427&pStart=0&recNum=188
and http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=63&productID=5344&pStart=0&recNum=27

Chocolate red and white are a great combo - and red plays well with all shades of itself, so you can start to add art in neutral tones that pick up on the warm ochre of the timber, and also adds pops of red. You could publish sepia toned family photos and make a collage with chocolate toned matting and white frames.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 9:31AM
Dar Eckert
The only reason this appears too bright for you is the overabundance of beige in the rest of the room. Balance that sofa out with a bolder print chair and/or rug. Add curtains (not beige). Put a new finish on that cabinet in espresso (minwax gel finishes). Get a espresso coffee table or wrought iron etc. The sofa look lovely.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 10:15AM
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 10:19AM
bumbles12
Wow, thank you all for these fabulous ideas! I have heaps to think about they all sound great!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:01AM
charliebeth
I like the idea of navy or khaki and white with the red. Looks nautical and keeps it light, since you're by the sea.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 11:07AM
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Dar is correct. Bringing in white will help, as will a few items in a secondary accent color (yellow, navy, aqua, teal or black/gold are just a few thoughts). I'd flip through a few pages of these photos: http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/red-sofa-
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 1:00PM
epostley
The red sofa is beautiful. So are the floors which like stone or tile. Nice texture. Grey walls sound lovely. Suggest putting at least 3 large paint samples on the actual wall. You have tons of light. Grey is tricky. I like the suggestion of darkening your wood pieces. If not feasible, consider changing the colonial style hardware for something dark and simple. That will completely change the look. You can accessorize with large pillows in red, grey & white. Good luck!
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 2:41PM
bumbles12
We have just painted the room and unfortunately can't change the colour. We bought the suite after painting. :( Also my husband doesn't want to change the colour of the furniture but I do agree that the darker colour furniture would look much better. But I'm stuck with these colours now.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:41PM
Genevieve
Then can you paint the cabinets in an espresso like this one ?

2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 5:46PM
bumbles12
No unfortunately I can't change the colours of walls, furniture or floor, I have to make the most of what I have as far as they are concerned. :(. I have to do it with accessories.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:17PM
Genevieve
Then work with what you already have ,its not a big deal to make this work when we have to ,here is an idea

4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 7:32PM
Alexei Rebrov Art
I suggest red toned abstractions. Here is my collection: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/red-1
Not all of them are red, but all have red details either as main or accent color. Size/price depends on the wall width and ceiling height.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 7:34PM
Amy Wax
If you would like a more contemporary approach then the black and grey colors will give you that look. If you want a warmer look, and a little more playful, I would look at the color themes from the Color911 app. You can look for whatever stye you want and use the colors for anything from accent pillows to floral arrangements to artwork, whatever you would like to add to your space. There are several features in the app but I thing using the color themes would be great for visualizing the colors together and choosing a direction. I gave you a theme which I think has the warmth but also an accent color which is great for being near water!! I hope it inspires you.. if not there are many more color themes with red in them to inspire you!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 19, 2013 at 8:58PM
bumbles12
It's gorgeous but I'm sorry I don't really want wall paper as we have just painted, but thank you.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:14AM
b - the print fabric I pulled as inspiration had the ochre tones of your gorgeous timber in it, along with the red and brown and white. The walls and wood will actually soften the room - just look for fabrics that build on what you have now like that does. You can add the deep brown in other ways instead of changing wood tones. You might look for a pair of chairs to cover in a brown and white print / get slipcovers made for something you already have. You can add the rug and curtains that hang outside those terrific windows and these repeating the chocolate and white will help the red sofa be the punctuation in the room. Add some baskets so you also repeat the timber tones.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 20, 2013 at 11:59AM
Inna Brodkin
the sofa is such a great rich shade of red. I would stay away from black or white , the contrast would be too sharp. i'd stay with soft browns, red and ivory palette, , and use linen or ivory for lighter tone instead of white. It looks like you have enough of beige and light browns. You can add darker chocolate or coffee brown shade with dark chairs or coffee table. Soft linen or very light mustard yellow panels for curtains, make then semi cheer and light to let the breeze in. IF you live by the sea you'd probably want to leave the floors bare, if not go with some jute or flat weave rug in light natural shades. IF you like bold accents you can introduce cobalt blue or red ceramic vase or lamp so that there's some continuity to the bold red sofa.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 20, 2013 at 12:23PM
bumbles12
Hi Everyone, thank you again for your fantastic comments!!! I'm looking at a coffee table at the moment and I'm wondering if I could go for a dark brown coloured timber instead of staying with the lighter timber? It means I'm bringing in a odd piece of timber? What do you think? Or should I stay with lighter timber tone with maybe a glass top?
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 1:17PM
Sustainable Dwellings
We need pics of the timber (?) furniture and other items included here.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 20, 2013 at 3:45PM
bumbles12
The furniture that will be in that room are in the photos I have already uploaded. You can only see the couch in the picture but there are also two chairs in the red.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 5:44PM
vickivegas07
What fun! Love the red... Rich black and crisp white immediately come to my mind to really show it off. Some touches of glass and metal, whether in accessories or furniture will add sparkle, along with some great art, a mirror, pillows and a rug for texture, and some beautiful plants. A peace lily would also provide pops of white. Actually, that furniture is so fabulous, you can't go wrong; just follow your instincts! Your good taste is obvious from your choice of furniture. Looking forward to your "after" pics!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 1:01AM
sclawson
Turquoise plays against red really well, particularly in an oceanside home!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 5:47AM
tngrandmom
I own almost same sofa in this color leather and like you can't change walls or rug right now. I hunted and found a rough/smooth fabric for different shaped cushions (do you sew?) and or table spread put at odd angles to bring the brown/tan/reds together. I have wrought iron furniture my father made, some in black and one large large in turquoise with glass. I added a large area rug with the tans, little black and choose curtains close to wall color. I am complimented on the room, so even tho I'm not a professional, it is a comfortable inviting room. Oh, do you have ceiling fan? Color there may tie in with furniture as well. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 7:10AM
etet
Gonna'go out on a limb here and conclude someone that chooses "hog bristle" and three large red furniture pieces is a risk taker. When you made those choices what were you "seeing" your room would be like finished? Is there red elsewhere? (bedroom?) Our homes, for 50 years have all "turned out" earth tones. My thing seems to be textiles. Quilts, rugs, even folk art on my walls and flat surfaces. Are you paintings, sculptures, glass, trip reminders maybe shiny plastics? You are already whom you are. Express it! You will love the result! You nix the ideas of designers given here so you have your own ideas. Fill the wooden piece with what you love. . . bet there will be red and "hog bristle".

Gotta' envy someone married to a guy who notices red couch and wall colors. Lucky you! Go for it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 8:26AM
daylilydiva
We have a red sectional - hubby picked it out and I'm surprised how much I like the color. We have wall and floor colors similar to yours. We 'grounded the room with a large oriental rug in black, righ gold, brown with some red accents to echo the couch.I thought I wouldn't like these colors during the hot months but just changing the throw pillows to a lighter color
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 10:13AM
bumbles12
Dear Etet, I'm definitely no risk taker, the only reason we have this suite is that hubby loves it, it was an excellent price and it is so damn comfortable! If I had of had my way I would of gone for off white. The only red thing I own is a Red Ipad cover! I honestly don't think the suite goes with the hog bristle in anyway but I have to make the most of it. I'm hopeless with colour but with all this feed back I have received I'm sure it will work out. l will do my best lol
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 4:03PM
Mamajo
I think a lighter softer shade of gray will be great for the walls. We used Lowes "Silver Screen" which is soft & not overpowering. Try a charcoal & gray or silver for curtains/drapes. Definitely need a pattern, random & overlapping circles works, and is currently a popular pattern, or whatever works for you.. Perhaps a rug to match or coordinate with the curtains, and I would go white with red & black for pillows and throws. Classic, bold, but not overpowering.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 4:20PM
bumbles12
Dear Sophielady, I love the idea on the cowhide. It would make it a lot easier for me if it worked. Thank you for the site info.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 4:20PM
Mamajo
Seeing those say stay away from black, try expresso. It is darker, but stays in the brown family.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 4:23PM
bumbles12
Dear daylilydiva, I really like the idea of the oriental rug too. It's just working out the right colours for the room....not easy for me lol
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 4:24PM
Go bold:
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 21, 2013 at 5:48PM
bumbles12
Looks great! Thank you, I will take it on board for sure!!!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:10PM
jean2413
Goveraxle, thats awesome!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 26, 2013 at 7:44AM
bkiely
Groveraxle, where did you find that lovely painting you posted pl?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 26, 2013 at 9:51AM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 26, 2013 at 11:16AM
bumbles12
I bought some fabric for cushions and I'm wondering if it goes or is it too much red? I don't have to use it. I thought I could incorporate another colour, maybe a block colour?
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:25PM
bumbles12
I had this print in the garage and thought I would try it here. What do you think? Any ideas please would be appreciated.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:12AM
bumbles12
In this photo the room looks a little cramped but it is quite a reasonable size room, we call it our sitting room. We are painting the whole house at present so we have extra furniture stored in this room at the moment.
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 1:20AM
beeloved
Great idea. I'd just toss on another pillow or two in and bring in a little of the blue in the print. Then call it a day. Sit back and enjoy.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 4:16AM
beeloved
By the way, something like the large scale multi-colour print on groveraxles illustration would be fantastic.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 4:18AM
NexG Interiors
Buy some covers for sofa.. place some pillowcase on it. They will give great look to you..

< a href="http://www.nexginteriors.com/interiors_decoration.html"> interiors decoration | < a href="http://www.nexginteriors.com/chennai_modular_kitchens.html"> chennai modular kitchens | < a href="http://www.nexginteriors.com/chennai_interiors.html"> chennai interiors
    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 4:26AM
beeloved
Bumbles, I just read though again and noticed the post where you say you aren't a risk taker. That suggests that part of you would like to mentally render the red sofa invisible. I think it's fine with the hogs bristle beige. It really will balance out just fine with the introduction of a little more red in your accessories and couple of print pillows. And given my durthers, I'd be inclined to vote with the poster (can't seem to find again) who suggested the cabinetry painting/staining/glazing the cabinetry a little darker.
Besides, I keep switching to the photo showing your exterior view and hearing 'we live by the sea' in my head and thinking you could scarcely go wrong no matter what you choose with a back drop like that. Congratulations. It looks like a lovely locale.
By the way, if you're at all handy with sewing, you could make a wonderful assortment of pillow covers and just buy a couple of very comfortable inserts. Change style every week if you like, right out of the linen cupboard. (Sorry, I think I'm just living vicariously now LOL).
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 5:46AM
beeloved
I keep noticing things I missed before. You mentioned coffee tables and I think you said the room is quite small. Maybe a couple of small, light tables. Or something on wheels. I notice your sofa reclines, so you don't want to lean back and have a coffee table in the way. For plain, casual living, I like the ones that designed to slip partly under the centre seat of the sofa and can be moved about easily.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 5:52AM
debs1109
Like your print above sofa and the pillow. I say add more pillows, look to add texture now not pattern ...use your print for color inspiration! Also, I LOVE that soda and chair. My husband looking for recliner that I can live with ... What brand is this? I would like to steer him towards something like this. Thanks for sharing!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 8:23AM
The room, especially with that picture, is looking a bit sterile to me. Perhaps darkening the walls would help. The red and white pillow is un-excitiing. I haven't fixed it, but here's an interim step.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 12:06PM
I would remove both tall cabinets. Add window panels on ends floor to ceiling. In a red, black, gray graphic design. Add a black bamboo shade under it. Center sofa on wall more add black Chest type end tables. Add tall lucite lamps, with black shades. Add black and white in with gray pillows to furn use a lot. Get a around ottoman 36" in a zebra print. Over sofa big 45" sunburst mirror hang 6" from top of sofa. Add black and white chevon prints accessories. You could also go chevron print panels on windows in black n white. Red is very bold. Need to use in small amts. did you say you just painted? A gray may work better, to tone down red.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 12:16PM
Dar on aug 19 2nd room is very nice. Look at ideas to go with your style.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 12:18PM
Genevieve has some great ideas. Aug 19.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 12:20PM
A wall paper or mural behind sofa would be very nice maybe a black and white New York sky line. Or the white birch trees. Go on line to ck.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 12:21PM
No more red on sofa too much, like picture.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    August 30, 2013 at 12:22PM
bumbles12
Thank you all for your fabulous comments, so many great suggestions ! It's such a help. The lounge suite is called "Lazboy". Although I wish it wasn't red it is so very comfortable.
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 4:07PM
AnAhitA Nazeri
Why do you have every piece of Furniture placed against the wall?? Looks mis-matched move couch to center with an area rug and create a sitting area , keep hutch aginst wall with a chair next to it. Pair your Red with Brown, grey , and black with silver accents. paint walls a soft grey ..buy a nice throw and hang it on the couch loosely makes looks for comfort, also on table place a tray with 3 Candles larrge , med , sm,,,same color . No more Red please it makes people anxious sitting in a red room because its a stimulating color..
1 Like    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 4:38PM
bumbles12
Hi AnAhitA Nazari, I totally agree. I actually don't intend to keep the couch on that wall, it just happens to be there due to the renos we are doing at the moment. I thought one of the red chairs under that print on an angle would be better and maybe a little table with a lamp on it? I can't change the colour of the walls as we have just finished painting it so I'm stuck with it. The room is part of a big room which has a partition 5ft wall separating it from the dining room. I'm thinking of putting the sofa on that wall and the other chair on its right hand side. As for the furniture in that room I do realise it's not a great choice but they have lots of memories to me so once again I'm stuck with them lol
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 5:03PM
AnAhitA Nazeri
Oh thats fine memeories always fit in somewhere I will offer my advice , in time all will flow together You will see thank you for writing
1 Like    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 5:30PM
AnAhitA Nazeri
How is all coming along ?? Let me know
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    September 1, 2013 at 9:34PM
bumbles12
Slowly at the moment, but definitely will let you know. It's a slow process lol. Thanks so much for your input, very much appreciated.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 10:49PM
AnAhitA Nazeri
yes I know Bumbles12 in time all will be to your liking , sghout out when you need help I do design , but I do not advertise my advice is free on Internet have a safe Labor Day
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bumbles12    September 2, 2013 at 8:14AM
bumbles12
Oh fantastic! I will shout out lol. Thank you again. You have a safe Labor Day too.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:48PM
I need help with accessories and arrangements in living room. I have l
Please help me with table arrangement and book shelf...
karenmacy
master suite redecorating
'We are redecorating our master bedroom! Just bought...
markliman
Historic 1930 Spanish home I just bought....paint colors & windows?
I just purchased a Spanish style home in an historic...
arkiegrandma
Color and Style - Art and Accessories in My Living Room
After some bargain Craigslist/Goodwill finds, Pinterest...
artfulartichoke
Need help with window treatments and accessories
I am trying to figure out how to pull together the...
tammyivie
The Space Above a Wall Mounted TV - Ideas? Blank?
In our living room/main family area, we have a wall...
Alex Stepien
Re- finishing floors . What color finish would look best?
We are having the entire first floor re- finished and...
floreslj
Please help in bringing some life to my living room...
Hi, We moved to our place few months back and since...
arunanegi
Patterns for backsplash and color for bar
I would like to put in some backsplash and paint or...
pricebrian4
Need Help picking a backsplash
Hello, I can't seem to commit to a backsplash. Please...
challenge34