Dining Room Help
AlyssaAugust 18, 2013
Not sure how to decorate this dining room... putting in hardwood floors, but need some added touches... The wall color and curtains are staying put... Help please! It looks so... plain :( I do not want to add a buffet or any other big piece of furniture to the room.
smitajim
I think you can go with nice floral print table clot or table runner with some cushions on chairs
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 8:32PM
T Mack
New chandelier to jazz it up, and I love when the hand rails on stairs are painted black. Wish I had stairs to do that to! Love the curtains!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 8:39PM
bmwray
Wait until you get the hardwood floors in. That will make a big difference! You could always put down an area rug to add punch, but with little ones, I prefer bare hardwood...easier to keep clean!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 8:43PM
collettec
I don't think the mirror adds anything to the side wall. I think you could use some bright bold art there with some color. Other options would be something like color blocking using something like Flour carpet tiles on your new hardwood floors. Given the graphics of the drapes, another option, if something you would consider would be painting the wall where the mirror is, as an accent wall in a bright bold color, perhaps a blue or red or even doing a fun color blocking treatment there - something like this:

Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 8:58PM
abbyjean
How about a nice big palm plant in the corner of the room? Right of the deck door.

I agree with removing the mirror as it only reflects the kitchen. I know the black frame looks good, so find a picture with a black frame and hang it there instead. Same size would work, too.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 9:01PM
regina5697
I can tell you're not afraid to do bold things from your choice of curtains. The table is somewhat country. I can't tell the design style of the chandelier from the photo, but I think a new one would be a good decision. Hang it lower. I agree some art in lieu of the mirror... A landscape in a clean, modern frame will help bridge the gap between your styles.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 9:21PM
bmwray
If you replace the light, something with a black drum shade would be nice.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 9:22PM
julianne1112
Try some paint, you can make easy improvements, painting a few things black. Do a shiny high gloss, and an extra color for a "pop"
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 9:25PM
julianne1112
Oh you can also redo the chandelier yourself painting it w spray paint, white or black ( high gloss) and even add some faux crystals to dress it up. I saw a girl do it on a blog and it turned out nice. Ill send u the lady's blog if you'd like to check it out
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:27PM
julianne1112
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 9:34PM
pcmom1
Yup, lower the light. And check out Ballard Design for shades. I would add an indoor/outdoor area rug to help ground the table (which seems a little small for the space), in something bold like your curtains.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 10:31PM
chemayne
I notice that the curtains are not touching the floor/carpet. Any chance of rehanging the rod or releasing the hem?
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:47PM
bmwray
I noticed that about the curtains too. Any chance you could raise the rod and add another stripe to the bottom?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 10:49PM
Karin Madgwick
I would paint the table and chairs white.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 10:57PM
Alyssa
The table is black granite, with dark wood legs and chairs
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:05PM
Alyssa
We made the curtains, but i do not know a thing about curtains - i thought they were hung at the right length???
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:06PM
chemayne
They are a tad short. Once your hardwood flooring goes in, it will become more noticeable. Simple solution? If the bottom hem can be unpicked/released and ironed out, you have a quick fix.

I also agree with the others that the chandelier should be lowered but the mirror needs to be raised a little as well.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:23PM
simps214
I agree with others-lower the chandelier but no need to replace it! Just add some shades if you'd like to update it. Also, I usually love mirrors but not if it reflects the kitchen. Some art-like others have suggested OR blown up pictures would work well too.

Less expensive than good art pieces, black and white photos would go well with the black and white curtains.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 18, 2013 at 11:41PM
Rina
A few additions warm the space up -- cushions, a plant, a painting instead of the mirror, and a throw. Less elegant than some of the solutions proposed above, but cosy. (I'd recommend a better painting than my scribble in the frame suggests.)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Alyssa    August 19, 2013 at 3:13AM
Need help w/ finishing touches in our dining room!!! Help!!
Looking for suggestions on a mirror over the buffet...
Kim Anne
New house: Dining room help
After moving to a new house, I wanted to switch the...
amydhanes
Living Room/Dining Room Help
I would like to spruce up the living room and dining...
Susan Logrippo
Living/dining room help
We're about to buy this house and would like some input...
mzadamz
Open Concept, Kitchen, living room, dining room HELP!!!
We have no idea, how we should complete the kitchen,...
beeton2137
Buying this house need ideas to add architectural accents
I will be moving in March but would like to get some...
packerfan81276
Real estate in Walla Walla, WA question?
I'm considering building a remodel project on a older...
Michael Leistiko/Builder
Will a 30 inch wall oven fit in a 30 inch wide cabinet?
I would like to purchase the new 30 inch professional...
gharris8
What would you hang over this fireplace? How to arrange furniture?
I haven't been to the furniture store yet because I...
Julie Smith
Living room floor
I ripped up carpets in my living room. But I'm having...
Rebecca Zingler