This Stately Veranda Makes a Statement!
Blue Ribbon Residential Construction, Inc.
August 19, 2013 in Before & After
The homeowner said they wanted their home to "make a statement when someone entered the neighborhood". And that, it does! With the addition of four 20' high columns that weigh about 800 pounds each, beautiful outdoor chandeliers and custom wrought iron railings, we were able to give them the effect they were looking for. An exquisite glass and iron door adds beauty and style to the entire façade. Topped off with Venetian Scamozzi Capitals, this home is one of our favorite and most memorable projects.
That is certainly a 'grand' entrance.
August 19, 2013 at 2:21pm     
The Color People
The words Grandiosity and Pompousity come to mind. It lost all its elegance and the sides no longer belong to the middle of the house. A perfect example that more is often less.
August 19, 2013 at 3:25pm     
2dogssashatess
wasn't crazy about the house at the start and frankly I think the addition made it far worse
August 20, 2013 at 5:54am     
soberg
If your clients are happy, I guess this should be considered a success of sorts. Architecturally, I find this poorly designed. The new front door itself is beautiful, although too tall, but the veranda is overscaled. It's so important to get scale and tone right. The gabled wing to the right would have coordinated reasonably well with the original main house, but is a mismatch to the new main house facade.

The statement being made here seems to be, "We don't know much about good design but we wanted people to know (think?) we have lots of money."
August 20, 2013 at 6:30am     
OMG ;(
August 20, 2013 at 6:33am   
Terracegallery
Soberg said it best....
August 20, 2013 at 6:36am   
andj32
Huge waste of their money. The new additions do not go with the style of the house at all. Perhaps if they changed the rest of the roofline as well but as it sits now it just looks so thrown together.
August 20, 2013 at 8:24am   
joecalta3
LOL! Looks like a funeral parlor. I am always puzzled why money is spent on sillyness like this, as opposed to upgrading quality of materials. For example this house has alot a roof visible... upgrading to a slate roof would have been a much better move.
August 20, 2013 at 9:45am     
mousemaker
a funeral parlor or a bank. I don't understand the big columns or the veranda. all that money for what? it's put together by a committee.
August 20, 2013 at 9:51am     
mefor
Yikes, I thought the before picture was the awful one, just realized it could get worse when I clicked on the after. It's soooooooooooooo much. Oh well, I hope they like it, mini Tara ;)
August 20, 2013 at 10:09am     
Laura E.
Just awful! Way out of proportion and just gaudy. Sorry.
August 20, 2013 at 7:26pm     
sstarr
The plantation idea is really over, has been for some time. As a country, we've moved on.
August 20, 2013 at 7:37pm     
Maguire
The one thing that was bad before, the fake shutters, are still there!!!!
It's too bad there weren't C,C, & Rs preventing this from happening.
August 20, 2013 at 7:41pm     
I would like to know what thi$ little $tatement $et them back?
August 20, 2013 at 7:45pm     
morristodo
I wonder what the neighbors think.
August 20, 2013 at 11:01pm     
Jassi Salam
vbnvbnvbn
August 21, 2013 at 12:09am   
glitterinhouston
Being that this is in NC, I believe that the changes are appropriate and quite nice. The overall appearance of the home is pretty fancy, "brand new" but fancy. However, I believe real shutters would have brought things a little bit more together. I'm surprised they didn't notice them and switch 'em out!
August 21, 2013 at 3:28am   
Terracegallery
This is not my style by any stretch of the imagination...but you CAN do things like this the right way where there is balance and proportion.....
August 21, 2013 at 6:20am     
cornettoryandtim
Not my taste in the least but if you're clients are happy you've achieved your main goal. I can appreciate the work it took though I don't know much about architecture and exterior design. I just know what I like and Im happily learning more. thanks for sharing.
August 21, 2013 at 9:46am   
Revolutionary Gardens
One flamingo in the lawn is whimsy. 100 in the lawn is a statement. 20 in the lawn is bad taste that got carried away. Point being, if you're going to go against the grain you have to go big or go home. If you don't take it far enough it's a fail.

That said -dang, you went big. It's not for me, but you and your client have some cojones for going there. Now it just needs landscaping that fits with the new style :)
August 21, 2013 at 10:21am     
mousemaker
Rev. Gardens, well said. I think landscaping might be the only save for this building. Cover it up with ivy and plant large trees around it. Hide it somehow!!!! Maybe they could take off the monstrosity that is the big veranda thing (on both sides) and the pillars too. make it a home, not an institution and an eyesore.
August 21, 2013 at 10:41am   
Revolutionary Gardens
Hide it? No no no. You misunderstand. The point behind my flamingo analogy is you gotta OWN it. This house is a bombastic Wagnerian opera but the landscaping is Kenny G. Turn that knob to 11!
August 21, 2013 at 10:57am     
Now THIS would have made a statement to the hood;) rest the arrow on photo for full effect

August 21, 2013 at 11:14am     
Terracegallery
When I grow up I want to live in a castle...and I want a look out tower where my long flowing hair can fall down...wait that is a children's story....or a combination of two...LOL I think people should have whatever they want...hopefully they are happy with this. All of the Christmas decorations seem to indicate they are. I bet the neighbors still came to their Christmas party. ;)
August 21, 2013 at 11:20am     
mefor
How could they miss it? ;)
August 21, 2013 at 11:22am   
Snaggy
It looked better before the make over !!
August 21, 2013 at 11:23am   
I bet they don't have a Christmas party.
August 21, 2013 at 11:25am     
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Opening up a load bearing wall.
Can a load bearing wall be opened up in the middle...