Range hood - 30" range
michellewoods
It seems that some people say to have a range hood that is bigger than the range. I have a 30" dual fuel range. Do I buy a 30" or 36" hood?

Thank you! Michelle
Either should be fine. I think it is ideal for maximum ventilation to do a larger hood, but how that looks depends on the style you choose and whether the hood it is incorporated into your cabinetry. We used a 30" low profile hood with our 30" range, but we got a very strong one with a high CFM and it works beautifully.
August 19, 2013 at 5:44pm      Thanked by michellewoods
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I prefer a hood that matches up with the range size and it makes for a more uniform look when planning the surrounding cabinetry. Having said that, there is no hard and fast rule. I do agree with feeny, most people don't give enough consideration to the power of the hood when planning and therefore, most hoods are undersized for the job they need to do (undersized meaning low cfm's not physical size). Try to go with a minimum of 400 cfm.
August 19, 2013 at 6:21pm   
designerladysmcd
If you are using a micro hood or 8/9" metal hood with cabinetry above, keep it 30. If it is a decorative hood, either metal 'chimney' style, or a matching wood one to your cabinetry, go 36".
August 19, 2013 at 6:26pm   
Fred S
M1503.4 Makeup air required.

Exhaust hood systems capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cubic feet per minute (0.19 m3/s) shall be provided with makeup air at a rate approximately equal to the exhaust air rate. Such makeup air systems shall be equipped with a means of closure and shall be automatically controlled to start and operate simultaneously with the exhaust system.
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_15_sec003.htm
August 19, 2013 at 7:14pm   
Landscaping Design Ideas for a Sloped Area in Backyard
I have this large area in my backyard that I would...
Placement of art
Would like your opinion. I have some bird panels that...
curb appeal
What can I do to add more curb appeal?
Entry table or not?
Would it be better to add a narrow console in this...
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...