Porcelain or travertine?
dlsbws1978
We are tearing out an old tub with shower over it and replacing it with a tiled shower. Which is the best to use for easy maintenance, porcelain or travertine?
Porcelain tile will have easier mainteanance than travertine. Be careful, also, about the type of grout that you use.
August 19, 2013 at 6:02pm   
fredm51
Porcelain for little maintenance, and now they make the tile that is slightly different from one tile to another. Not everyone but like six and with turning the tile makes it look random like real stone.
August 19, 2013 at 6:06pm   
A trend in contemporary design is no pattern at all, with just a nice solid color, but certainly when you're looking for a stone looking product such as fred references, you can find it in the better porcelain tiles.
August 19, 2013 at 6:09pm   
Mega Builders
No contest - maintenance wise porcelain wins hands down.
Good luck!
August 19, 2013 at 6:37pm   
dianahb
Agree-- porcelain in terms of maintenance and toughness. There are some beautiful porcelains out there.
August 19, 2013 at 8:04pm   
Patrick Peyton
I totally agree. If you are simply concerned about maintenance, then porcelain is a no brainer. With that said, I think that stone wins on both aesthetics and value add. Good luck.
August 20, 2013 at 1:07am   
dianahb
Well, I would never put travertine in a shower. Have you looked at the porosity of travertine? If you wanted natural stone, you'd do well to pick something other than travertine. Porcelain is just so tough, and there are so many really nice porcelains out there. Check out Crossville and Walker Zanger (admittedly, at the more expensive end of the spectrum) has spectacular looking porcelain.
August 20, 2013 at 4:53am   
dlsbws1978
Thank all of you for your comments. When I went into a tile store yesterday the ladies said travertiine is the way to go and would add the best value. I came home and began to research the two and thought that travertine was not the way. You have confirmed my thoughts!!! Porcelain it is. Thanks again for rescuing me from a bad decision!!!
August 20, 2013 at 8:16am     
fredm51
I have seen grout additive that reduces resealing, I have not used it but it is worth looking into.
August 20, 2013 at 8:12pm   
What type of glass inserts should we get?
Transitional kitchen/great room, Carrera marble subway...
This or That: Nonstick VS Stainless Steel
Which do you prefer? Vote for your choice below...
Coffe table
I am finally getting close to being done with my family...
What would you put here?
Hi All, Last time I asked if I should take this backsplash...