Help needed! help decorating newly painted living room.
forestdr
1968 ranch remodel....needs ideas for the living room
Well, I love the furniture that I see in photo one. You would benefit greatly from some large art on the walls, and from pulling the furniture away from the walls. Interior designers can work wonders and you have a great start to a beautiful room. I'd call in an interior designer to help you finish it. Usually a good interior designer will actually save you money by helping you avoid expensive mistakes. You dont seem to have made any so far, but we'd like to keep it that way.
August 19, 2013 at 6:49pm      Thanked by forestdr
forestdr
thanks...photo 2was the before when we got it last dec...I cant decide what to do really...what kind of art will go with it....any ideas...
August 19, 2013 at 6:57pm   
forestdr
here some other picts
August 19, 2013 at 6:59pm   
There's a lot of art available online and in your own hometown, no doubt. You have to decide what kind of art you like and sometimes that takes a stroll through a few local galleries to determine.

August 19, 2013 at 7:13pm        Thanked by forestdr
indianpatti
Color ... you have a blank, white canvas. Colorful curtains, pillows and art.Love the pic that Carolyn posted above.
August 19, 2013 at 7:19pm     
You can find lots of art available on houzz if you go to the search box and search "products" for abstract paintings, or whatever kind of art you like.
August 19, 2013 at 7:19pm        Thanked by forestdr
Alexei Rebrov Art
You have a perfect wall behind the sofa for a bright abstract multi-piece.
Here is a description of materials used for this and other aluminum prints: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/show-liquid-light/products/8012-30x61-5-design

And here are more wall designs: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/wall-design
August 19, 2013 at 7:23pm     
forestdr
Love this...wow...thanks
August 19, 2013 at 7:34pm     
Alexei Rebrov Art
The main benefit of accessorizing with art prints that you don't need to paint/repaint walls each time you get tired of the main color. You just switch the art with another one and previous can go to your other room or so.
Choosing and discussing art can be very pleasant exercise too.
August 19, 2013 at 7:37pm      Thanked by forestdr
Art. And drapes.
August 19, 2013 at 8:03pm      Thanked by forestdr
Vibrant Abstract painting studio
paintings
1. Title-power, size-33"x66" , acrylic on canvas rolled,
2.Title-Inner Power, size-33"x66" , acrylic on canvas rolled,
3.Title-Inner Dream, size-48"x48" , acrylic on canvas rolled,
August 19, 2013 at 8:11pm     
jillbean216
could i ask you what color of paint is on your walls and trim?
August 19, 2013 at 8:14pm   
forestdr
Living room walls Valspar Bonsai.. Valspar signature extra white.
August 19, 2013 at 8:25pm   
cathieg
I like Carolyn's suggestion of art, second post I think, and the choice by forestdr above. These seem to have form and bags of colour. Essentially, art comes down to personal taste, so only you can decide what YOU like, and then the decorating can follow. You will first need to decide whether you want to dress the windows, as this will determine the size of artwork that would work in the space. If it were me I'd put up some side drapes at least, to soften things a little. Are you able to pop some florist foam, or the like, in the bottom of the vase to increase the height of the twisted willow? It is not proportionate to the height of the vase. It's a beautiful big space, good luck.
August 19, 2013 at 11:41pm      Thanked by forestdr
You're going to need quite a big piece of art, even with stationary side panels on your windows, probably 42 x 42 or larger.
August 20, 2013 at 7:04am   
forestdr
Thanks Carolyn...when you mention side panels what re you talking about? Any picts? And also don't know if I'm going e drapes yet but any suggestions
August 20, 2013 at 2:18pm   
abbyjean
Just in case Carolyn does not get back as she is BUSY......side panels really are drapes. They are just on the SIDES of the windows and do not open and close to cover the entire window.
August 20, 2013 at 2:24pm        Thanked by forestdr
Add black and white chevron panels to ends only, extend rod in brush nickel 4-5" pass windows. in middle of windows a 45" or bigger sunburst mirror. Ad accent color pillow to sofs and chairs mix it up even put a zebra print in mix. Add 2 square 20" zebra ottomans on end in front of coffee table. Add silver metal end table next to sofa. Tall lucite lamp black shade drum style.
August 20, 2013 at 2:49pm   
Art over back of sofa in bold contemporary design 40 x40, use some of yr accent color in art. Keep it it one main accent. Place 3 pots in various size and height group in 3 s in silver. Or mercury glass on coffee table. Keep it un cluttered.
August 20, 2013 at 2:52pm   
Pure Home
You have a great looking room here, our designers just agree that a little bit of color could bring some warmth into your space. -PH Design Team
August 20, 2013 at 2:54pm      Thanked by forestdr
Like light in dining. But furn too traditional for your room. Change to a more modern dark wood round 40-60" not sure of size of room. High back leather chairs. In teal Pier One has them. Also check Stein mart and tJMax for decor items. Put a big white modern bowl on dining add teal or peacock color balls, pier one has them. Hang art low.
August 20, 2013 at 2:56pm      Thanked by forestdr
Add small table next to chair. Art on floor too small for room also too dark. Go silver brush nickel frames. If any. For that big wall go very big art 6x7 ft. Oil. Invest in art it will set your room part from plain to WOW. Z Galleries a good place to shop.
August 20, 2013 at 3:00pm   
Terracegallery
Your space is absolutely gorgeous and it is clear that you have great taste in furniture...you should continue that quality with art. Do you want A LOT of color in the art? or would you prefer a more monochromatic look as you have going now? Here are just a few ideas....I am happy to superimpose any of my pieces into your space.
August 20, 2013 at 3:09pm      Thanked by forestdr
Terracegallery
Your pictures are dark so it is kind of hard to get the lighting right on the art...but it gives you a basic idea.
August 20, 2013 at 3:10pm   
anne dee
this inspiration pic may give you some idea for color but I am not sure it fits with the rest of yr space which seems more traditional going by yr pic of the dining room furniture

August 20, 2013 at 3:11pm      Thanked by forestdr
One of the differences in the two photos is the lighting and no doubt forestdr plans on adding some. It can be spotlights directed at the art, or floor lamps and table lamps. All are important.
August 20, 2013 at 6:02pm     
forestdr
thanks for your nice comments....the living room it is bigger than you can see in the pict...it is a long rectangular room (living room)...table but 8 foot ceilings though. About the dining I'm planning on getting a s different dining set, the breakfast room set is it contemporary too..

.
August 20, 2013 at 6:05pm   
The drapery panels you see below are stationary side panels. They are there to look like they might close, but they are not made full enough to actually do so. They offer color, interest, and a softening effect on the room.
Living Room Mediterranean Dining Room
August 20, 2013 at 6:14pm   
Terracegallery
Pick anything that catches your eye from my portfolio and I will be more than happy to superimpose it into your space...I am off to bed now, but will check back in the a.m. Have a nice evening everyone.
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-sharon-cummings.html?tab=artworkgalleries
August 20, 2013 at 6:15pm   
ilovemodeling
I think definitely go with bold colors. Art, maybe a splash of orange or pink...
August 20, 2013 at 8:38pm   
I want to renovate my kitchen to look more modern. What should I do?
I'm thinking black granite countertops and painting...
Living Room Project
Here is my living room project that I have been working...
Builder Grade to Craftsman Style
I have a pretty plain jane little white house and I...
POLL: Kitchen-centric or Outdoor-centric?
Which space is your favorite? Can you believe this...
need advice about front door colour and shutters and garage door
We want a different a stronger front door color; there...