Help with home reno, please.
balu4
Ideas about color scheme, etc please.
karen paul interiors
No room is an island onto itself. Your kitchen will want to blend on some level with adjacent areas. Have you thought about colors your are currently using in adjacent areas? Is there some sort of favorite color or scheme that you would love to incorporate into your kitchen?
August 19, 2013 at 8:27pm     
cathieg
Are you taking this kitchen out or updating the existing cabinets?
August 19, 2013 at 9:10pm     
lvanderhoek
I'd think you'd want to get rid of the window coverings in the kitchen. If you are on a tight budget I might consider painting the cabinets? Perhaps an antique white to brighten up the place. A darker counter top would make the space pop. And new appliances always go a long way ....
August 19, 2013 at 9:50pm     
Stuart Mac Tile & Stone Inc.
I would change the kitchen splash as well. To a 4x16 plank tile on a brick pattern( subway style ).
August 19, 2013 at 11:20pm   
jillrenee74
This could be a great kitchen. If you stained your cabinets in a darker color. I LOVE gel stain, just sand the existing cabinets and then gel stain away. I would also add moulding to frame your island then paint the island in an off white gloss then antique the island. A cornice or valance over the window and raise it above the window...gives the window some height. Oh and new modern handles for cabinetry.
August 19, 2013 at 11:29pm     
jillrenee74
Sorry you can't raise the valance but it would still look great. Or some nice roman shades for the windows.
August 19, 2013 at 11:30pm     
Stuart Mac Tile & Stone Inc.
Is the 4 pic of a jetted tub?
August 19, 2013 at 11:57pm   
Stuart Mac Tile & Stone Inc.
I would take that jetted tub out of there and put in a free standing tub, open up that corner and then put a 12x24 tile and on the floor and 10x14 tile vertically on the wall all around that bay window.
August 20, 2013 at 12:05am   
balu4
This Reno was prompted by the popping up of our floor tiles. I've looked at replacing it with a natural beige travertine porcelain tile 12x24. I'm considering changing the countertops as well with quartz aurora snow around the perimeter & granite antiqua bianco. I felt it would look too busy if I did all the counters with the granite. I'd like to keep the cabinets the same (to keep the cost down), so I'm trying to work with that starting point. I'm unsure about the backsplash... Same as the floor .. In a honeycomb or smaller square tile, or glass mosaic options.... to tie it all together. And then of course the wall paint color... The whole house is a blush color... I want to change it... So any suggestions would be welcome.

The window coverings will be removed... To white hunter Douglas silhouette.

The dome lighting will be removed & replaced with cabinets & moulding to the ceiling...

I plan to change the appliances too... Not immediately due to budget constraints...

& a new under mount stainless steel sink with new faucet.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track.. I can't afford to make expensive mistakes..

Thanks
August 20, 2013 at 3:33am   
balu4
I'd like to keep the tub but change the tile & surround. Any color or style ideas? I was planning to use the same natural beige travertine 12x24 with something (a glass mosaic or something) to add visual interest..
August 20, 2013 at 3:41am     
bmwray
Glad to hear that you plan to put cabinets to the ceiling. I do not like the look of the current soffit. Are those plastic? Before you order full height cabinets, make sure those soffits aren't hiding anything that will be costly to move.
August 21, 2013 at 7:54am     
balu4
Thanks, bmwray. Yes, those are plastic & easy to remove.
August 21, 2013 at 8:55am     
cathieg
If the top cabinets are to be a different colour to the bottom ones you may find that using another two colours in the counter and island will be too much. That would be four colours going on there and then another in the backsplash, not to mention the paint colour. Have a look at the houzz kitchen photos where they have used multiple materials/colours and see what you think. I understand why you are tired of the blush and need a change. How about going with an off white in your most used areas and see how you like it? I know it will be easier to decorate, as this leaves you with a broader choice of colours to use in furnishings and accessories.
August 21, 2013 at 10:59am     
balu4
Thanks,Cathie's. I'm hoping to keep the cabinets the same color. It was the perimeter counter & the island counter that were going to be different.. The white quartz & antiqua bianco. Now, I'm reconsidering keeping the counters the same as well.
August 21, 2013 at 11:34pm     
soberg
I would really do all the counters the same in your kitchen. I think different counter materials are hard to do in the best of cases and really require a lot of physical and visual separation between the two areas. But your counters all flow together like one structure, so let's keep it the same.
August 21, 2013 at 11:42pm     
karemore55
It would be a shame to go through the trouble of doing all these other updates and still have countertops in 90's pink. If you can find it in your budget, please do go for the white countertops you mentioned - you won't regret it. I can see either of the colors below working in your kitchen with the white countertops. First pic shows cabinets with a little blue in them, and second is more of a medium Gray. I would paint rather than stain. Sanding and staining would be a big headache. For backsplash, you could go with a simple white subway tile in a staggered pattern, or a linear mosaic tile with whites and light grays, or something that picks up the cabinet color. For wall color, a warm white - possibly Cotton Knit by Behr - would work, but you would need to pick your other colors first.
August 21, 2013 at 11:50pm     
cathieg
This colour granite looks good with a similar colour cabinet to yours. However, if you want a fuss free, hard wearing counter you can't go past engineered stone. They have some great products around now that resemble granite and marble but without the maintenance and fragility.

You will need to bring home some samples of whatever you choose and put it up to the cabinets to see how it looks and to make sure it doesn't emphasise the pinkness of them. Try and find something that neutralises the pink. Ask about this when you consult a dealer.
August 22, 2013 at 12:22am     
balu4
Thanks, karemore55. The counters are being changed .. All to antiqua bianco... It's the cabinets I'm considering keeping the same... Or perhaps changing the color to a shade of white...
August 22, 2013 at 12:25am     
karemore55
Yes, I thought you were thinking of painting them as opposed to changing them out. If Gray isn't your color, white could work, but maybe bring in a bit of cream and grey with the backsplash to warm it all up. I assume the floor tile will stay, at least for now? It looks like it has a bit of pink in it hey? Again, Gray will come to the rescue by toning down the pink. Back to the cabinets - whatever you do, don't leave the color as is or you will forever be stuck in the 90's! (Isn't there a song about that?)
August 22, 2013 at 12:44am     
Stuart Mac Tile & Stone Inc.
Ceaser stone is a great option for countertops. Almost maintence free and very stylish. And I agree with subway tile for your kitchen splash, glass linear mosaic would look good as well.

For your bathroom, if you like the tub then keep it for sure, but yes change the splash and skirt and floor with the 12x24 and you defiantly can add an accent band of mosaic.

As cathieg said, please get samples and show your picks.
August 22, 2013 at 12:48am   
balu4
Thanks, Cathie's & karemoore55 for those great suggestions. The floor tile is being replaced... By gani marble porcelain tile. I'd initially considered the travertine natural beige, but felt the whiter marble look tile with the grey in it would be a better choice.
August 22, 2013 at 12:52am     
balu4
Yes, I will get samples & post them...
August 22, 2013 at 12:53am     
Stuart Mac Tile & Stone Inc.
A little bathroom inspiration for you. Image found on Google+!
August 23, 2013 at 8:54pm   
Stuart Mac Tile & Stone Inc.
Some kitchen inspiration for you. Not sure if you have everything decided yet or not but found this image and thought to share with you.
August 24, 2013 at 10:07pm     
Inna Brodkin
if you do go through the trouble of replacing cabinets and countertops than I would seriously consider changing the shape of the island. the current configuration has way too many angles to bump into, it does not look like working in the kitchen or passing through it would be comfortable.
August 24, 2013 at 10:28pm   
balu4
Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions... Yes, we're now considering changing the island to a rectangular one.. With an overhang for a couple of stools.. I want to keep it counter height.. For my buffet dinners.. & perhaps installing a wine cooler at one end.. & also considering the wall oven in the island on the side facing the stove... I can see how repos can snowball... So many wonderful ideas... Lets see what we finally do...
August 25, 2013 at 9:21am     
balu4
Sorry.. Typo... It should be renos not repos...
August 25, 2013 at 9:22am   
marysly
A soft gray on the walls.
Window treatments have to go.
Replace the cabinet hardware to nickel.
Good luck
August 25, 2013 at 9:28am   
cathieg
I think your on the right track with a rectangular island. We have one and I use backless stools so I can tuck them into the overhang when we do our buffet dinners. I have one concern regarding putting the oven there, as when you have a group of buffet attendees moving about the island the oven could still be hot. Haven't seen it done before. I know when we had a convection microwave in the peninsula there were all kind of regulations regarding venting as well. It is a necessary part of reno's...all this agonising.
August 25, 2013 at 11:44am     
Scottish Stained Glass
Pretty kitchen! Have you thought about stained or leaded glass for the window? Its a great way to keep the natural light and have privacy. Below are a few examples. Please let me know if you would like more info: 1-866-846-5758. Thank you!
August 27, 2013 at 5:07pm   
Need Reno' Home Stretch HELP! Lots of Pictures in the Post
Ok so I am excited I figured out how to attach pictures...
1960's Ranch home Reno. Hall Bath Help!
Since we only have 2 bathrooms,( we are making the...
End of reno draws near. LR/DR decor help please!
In October we downsized to a small mid-century ranch....
Kitchen Reno Conundrum,head SPINNING.Please HELP!
Issues GALORE, issues that have never seem to have...
Closet height 9 foot, but closet door 6 foot 8: Please help with reno
I am in the midst of a closet reno throughout my house,...
Flow from room to room
What are the best suggestions you can give for flooring...
Need help with color in this all white open concept design
1200 sq ft open concept room . CONTEMPORARY design...
Why does every color consultant try to get me NOT to use grey
I've visited several different free consultants at...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Need help with layout of living room/dining room area in condo.
Moved from house to condo 15 years ago. Now feeling...