Kitchen backsplash ideas
difio
Kitchen light cabinets perimeter, dark island. Travertine floor.
Here is one idea with travertine backsplash in a subway pattern.

August 20, 2013 at 9:48am     
difio
another view
August 20, 2013 at 9:49am   
difio
I didn't want travertine as the backsplash. Would a ceramic look good? I don't think a glass would go.
August 20, 2013 at 10:05am   
gypsyrose17
Just don't use porous tiles such as travertine or really small tiles with a lot of grout above the range...food and grease spatters are difficult to clean from those surfaces, especially since the range is usually so deep its a stretch to reach the wall to clean it easily...or maybe I just have short arms:).
August 20, 2013 at 10:16am     
Amy Stanley
I think a ceramic tile would work, are you thinking of staying in the light tones for a more monotone look or were you thinking of pulling more brown out to warm it up?
August 20, 2013 at 10:25am     
difio
I'd like to warm it up. Didn't really think brown. Was thinking a yellow, green, taupey green.
August 20, 2013 at 10:55am     
0825sam
I like something like these for your backsplash. I like the handmade look of these tiles and am personally a big fan of the herringbone pattern.
Glendale 2
No 1
August 20, 2013 at 10:59am        Thanked by difio
Gantt's Decorating
Your kitchen looks beautiful. Instead of doing the boring and I think ugly backsplash tile everywhere, why not pick some really special tile with a colorful mural or floral framed out with edge tiles just over the range top and keep the rest painted the wall color. Over the burners is really the only place that you need to worry about anyway. I don't have any pictures for you, but I know these things exist. I feel strongly that tiling entire back splashes is a fad that will pass. Kitchens already have too many hard surfaces. Keeping the wall color under most of the cabinets is visually unifying. Good luck whatever you decide. Bill
August 20, 2013 at 11:05am     
Marilyn Wilkie
Well personally, I think that complete backsplashes surfaced with tile, stone or another material like tin are here to stay. The sky is the limit on choices. In the past there was only linoleum or later melamine type products. But now with so many choices they complete the look and also protect the area under the cabinets from spills and splashes. But having said that I also believe that the time to pick a backsplash material is at the same time that you pick out your counter material. Some counter materials are not easy to coordinate with a suitable backsplash. I don't find them boring or ugly at all. Do you have a close-up photo of your counters?
August 20, 2013 at 11:17am   
difio
Granite countertops with OG edge
August 20, 2013 at 11:40am   
Judy M
I would get several different samples of off white subway tiles and see which one looks best with the cabinet, the counter and your floor. Is the floor travertine?

I think that's why travertine was suggested.
August 20, 2013 at 11:48am   
difio
I do want to warm it up. Since the floor is travertine and the counters are granite.
August 20, 2013 at 12:42pm   
Amy Stanley
I agree the off white or possibly even bisquit colored subway tiles would look nice- can you get samples of the colors you were thinking and put them near the granite to see your ideas?
August 20, 2013 at 12:43pm   
barrandbaisel
Dont count glass out...there are some beautiful ones out there in the colors you like , also glass subway tile. I have a pale green glass tile accent in a rental that is just lovely and just put in glass and granite in another house as a backsplash . I like the slick glass surface but do have concerns about keeping the grout clean and nice.
August 20, 2013 at 1:04pm   
Jessica Decker Kinzler
My kitchen is very similar. I've been toying with the idea of a solid color cream tile in a cool shape. Walker Zanger has many options.
August 20, 2013 at 6:40pm        Thanked by difio
ErthCOVERINGS
ErthCOVERINGS Stone strips can be a great alternate. no grout lines! www.erthcoverings.com are the innovators of this stone series, they have a great colour selection.
August 21, 2013 at 8:25am     
ErthCOVERINGS
Also, for a herringbone pattern, there is a beautiful stone with a timeworn finish by Giovanni Barbieri (italian stone designer) that could fit with your designs.
August 21, 2013 at 8:40am     
hurst visual solutions
my small kitchen has a clear glass counter with stainless risers. Serves as backsplash because there is nothing to splash... I don't really understand. This glass serves as an eating area, people can talk while you cook and I see you also like that idea. Cabinets of mine have interior illumination and there is a dropped track lighting system. Keeping it simple..
August 21, 2013 at 10:01am   
hurst visual solutions
You were talking about back splash for stove and I didn't catch that. I simply have a washable paint. Keep it wiped down and if your arms are too short. Invest in a squeegee.. I tend to want less rather than more things in the kitchen, it's busy enough as it is. I did have a friend who had a custom tile decor done but it cost her! If you can't clean your wall, how can you wipe down your backsplash? I'd go with a highly washable paint.
August 21, 2013 at 10:06am   
difio
It wasn't me who said my arms were too short. LOL.
August 21, 2013 at 1:19pm     
difio
@Jessica, I ordered a similar tile in green but smaller from Overstock. I returned it. It was too small. I love the arabesque shape!!
August 21, 2013 at 1:29pm     
Jenny Youngblood
If you want something unusual but fits your Traditional style, look at Encore and Artistic Tile backsplash. If you like arabesque here is a nice one from Encore
August 22, 2013 at 5:40pm     
Jessica Decker Kinzler
Jenny, I really like that. Where could I buy that? Sorry I don't want to high jack the thread....
August 23, 2013 at 7:20am     
Granite Transformations
Our bronzite subway tile would look great in your kitchen. The right color scheme and lighting. You can see the tile here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

Good luck with your selection, you have some other good recommendations above too!
August 23, 2013 at 7:24am     
Sustainable Dwellings
I really think the travertine subway style tile would be nice with a mural somewhere (over sink or stove) .
August 23, 2013 at 7:28am   
johndoe98
Here is what we did to our backsplash.
August 23, 2013 at 8:14am   
Jenny Youngblood
Jessica- that is an Encore tile. You can look up local dealers on their website. It is so beautiful in person.
August 24, 2013 at 8:26am     
Please Help with Backsplash Ideas for my Kitchen
Hi, Our kitchen is almost complete! We chose American...
need help with easy to clean kitchen backsplash ideas
Dear houzzers, I am trying to design my kitchen keeping...
Ideas for kitchen backsplash?
We want to add a backsplash to our kitchen, and could...
Kitchen granite and backsplash ideas
These are my new cabinets. I have selected Giallo...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Living room/ family room
I'm having a problem trying to decide how to best design...
Living room/ family room
Living room/ family room
Need help with dark hallway
Closing up a doorway to convert room behind which is...