Wall decor
clsternaman
I'm torn with the wall decor over the sofa in my sun room. Please tell me if this wall decor works or not. I like the textures and the blend of the casual and more formal designs, just not sure of the size or shape of the basket...or if something else would work better. Any suggestions??
R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
What I would do is find a pair of baskets that have a different shape and color and texture but fit inside the square baskets and display them inside the square baskets to make the display less uniform and square.
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 6:00PM
Diana
agree with comment. I like all the individual pieces but not loving them together. Not sure if it's because the couch is so low in comparison to the wall art or its the skirt on the couch that it to traditional for the 'artsy' wall art. In fact, the couch seems low to the coffee table too - it's more noticeable from the dining room. Sorry can't add what to do but this isn't really 'doing' it for myself.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 6:14PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The baskets don't really do anything. They're just......there. I would remove them and lower the ironwork. If you want to keep the baskets, try hanging them diagonally or put one on the coffee table to add some texture to the glass.
3 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 6:29PM
Honestly, it's a little bit ordinary. How about something like this:
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 6:56PM
Mamta Arjun
Remove the iron work.. Lift the baskets a little higher and arrange it diagonally. with some space in between.. There's too much ironwork all over the place. The baskets color and texture will accentuate the Sofa...
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 7:15PM
Maguire
I like it. I wish the baskets were a bit more interesting though. I think setting one on the coffee table, filling it with a couple of small books, a candle and small bowl or vase, and lowering the ironwork would also look great.
How about 2 of these $90 Dubois mirrors for some sparkle?
You have a lovely home. Love the wall color.
Moroccan Modern
Bayo Vista
3 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 7:26PM
abbyjean
I wasn't sure until I remembered that THIS is your sunroom and that deserves a different feel.....which that wall gives it! BUT I also like a basket on the glass table.....not the same, but some wicker to keep the look going. Enjoy!
2 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 8:55PM
HI -- Not a fan of what you have - too Tuscany show home -- would rather see a nice big square floral painting (36 x36 or 40x40) with a slender frame either in black or a gold/silver frame .
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 9:03PM
Terracegallery
They are so heavy and there is an awful lot of brown going on.
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 8:04AM
I could see this in place of the 2 big baskets;)

2 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 8:24AM
annaokelly
I like the concept but the baskets create a focal that is not interesting. How about an interesting botanical or other fun stencil in the center of each one?
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 8:31AM
felixgrantham
Baskets are not working, sorry. Your instincts are correct. Replace with art or a nice mirrror hung at eye-level (you may need to raise the ironwork).
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 8:32AM
indianpatti
I don't like the baskets ... doesn't pair well with your decor.

Margo's picture above would look very nice.
2 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 8:42AM
Comforts of Home
Even though you didn't ask your rug needs some adjustment. It needs to be under the coffee table completely. It could still be on an angle:)
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 8:50AM
You seem to have an overload of iron scrollwork in your two spaces. I'd remove some of it- maybe the baker's rack as they are not so in style right now. You could move it to the sunroom as a display opposite the sofa. The baskets are fine, but I'd prefer art behind the sofa and no metalwork. You could use one of the baskets on the coffee table and the other on the dining table as anchor pieces for some other decor item like candles or a basket of fruit or flowers. Your dining set looks to be French provincial, so you might change the shades to something more French, like toile. Or you could remove the shades and bling it up a bit by hanging some crystals on it. It is possible you could get away with painting the ironwork pieces - picking up a color from the rugs.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 9:36AM
clsternaman
I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you! I tried some of the ideas/suggestion and did adjust my rug to center it under the coffee table. I loved the Tuscan styled picture as well as the mirror idea. Will continue to search for the right piece..for now, I've switched back to the original piece I had in the room.
4 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 2:13PM
abbyjean
That is just a beautiful room! LOVE the couch and pillows and I actually like this pic there, too! Did you try a basket on the coffee table for fun? They are too pretty to put away!
3 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 2:20PM
Did you try one of those baskets right on top the coffee table with the plant set within?
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 2:55PM
Personally, loved the scrolly item above the baskets, that is why I picked a more slender rectangular shaped art piece to put under the scrolly;)
If any scrolly items should go., unfortunetly it should be the baker's rack, I know it is hard to let go, I too once had a beauty but alas it was time to move on. Go for a buffet piece;)
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 2:59PM
clsternaman
Margo, yes, I'll look for a slender more rectangle piece and I too like the idea of the scroll work above. Now for the baker rack. It resides is the eating area in the kitchen. The rack is not attached to the buffet. That said, if I remove the rack then what shall I introduce above the buffet. I'm unable to move the entire piece to the sun room as the only wall space I have is where the sofa sits.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:19PM
Maguire
That's a great picture over the sofa. You must be a decorator at heart, looking for things to change up. Is there a way to update the bakers rack? I wonder if wallpapering fiberboard panels and placing them in back of the shelves would give it a more contemporary look.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 5:41PM
LB Interiors
Love your decor. Great job! I like what you've done over the sofa. Maybe glue or wire a small group of branches light natural birch or natural branches on each tray. Asymmetrical, left side of left one and right side of right one, off center.

I would also place the rug horizontal to the sofa and the coffee table likewise. I like your eclectic mix, it shows your personality and different tastes. Nice.
2 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 6:21PM
Maguire
Margo's piece is great, no glass, no reflection. It looks like an expensive piece of art. But for a piece you have tucked away, yours works. The baskets are gone, right?
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 6:27PM
Keitha
I like the baskets very much and think its just the opposite of some opinions above. Artwork is very ordinary! I think the texture of the baskets is a nice change.
4 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 6:30PM
LB Interiors
I guess I'm different and I like the original decor above the sofa. I also like the the iron on the buffet. It repeats the iron from the living room. I don't like the trends so much that everyone's rooms are looking like everyone else's. I like the feeling and style of your rooms very much. They are not what is usually recommended here on houzz. But I like it if you still like it. I like the difference of your design style. It's different. Love that! I feel the original placements above the sofa are creative and the proportion works great with the wall height and the window valance height. I like it a lot! Again, great job!
7 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 6:34PM
LB Interiors
I agree with 'Keitha"
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 6:36PM
I am a huge fan of this style, so warm and inviting. The colors, the mix of fabric, iron, baskets, love it all, BUT with that said, the top half of the bakers rack should be stored for a possible comeback? who knows. IF it were me I would obviously get the Tuscan Giclee print I posted and put the scrolly back over the top or find a similar (maybe better) one. As far as the dining room, I would probably put a mirror over the buffet. A great one of course;)
2 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 7:16PM
I found this picture as it is similar with buffet, mirror, round table, chandy and sconces ;)

4 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 7:22PM
Maybe this mirror from Ballard?

1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 7:31PM
Or maybe something more simple like this black and gold turned sideways. I can't seem to find one like in the inspiration photo above?

1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 7:44PM
Any thoughts of a new sideboard? Any interest in black or maybe painting your current one black? I like a black piece of furniture in every room;) http://www.houzz.com/photos/buffets-and-sideboards/black-French-Country

2 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 7:57PM
clsternaman
Like all the suggestions. I'm inclined not to go with trends so I appreciate the comment. A little unsure of a mirror over the buffet as it is in the kitchen area. Perhaps that doesn't matter? The other thing to consider is, I do have a buffet in my dinning room with a mirror above it and both rooms can be seen from a common area, so I would be duplicating the look. Would I want to do that?
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 10:50PM
LB Interiors
No, I don't think duplicating the look, you're right.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 10:51PM
Oh, no, now seeing more photo's, changes everything! I thought this was a dining room, not a kitchen? One buffet with a mirror over it is enough;)
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 4:31AM
If you took off the top half of the baker's rack, maybe you could put the baskets with the scrolly iron over it on that wall? Or maybe a nice large round clock?
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 4:34AM
Something like this could replace your lantern sconces if you want a more formal French look at the buffet. And here's a French/English eclectic dining room that might insprire you. Perhaps just adding toile wallpaper behind the buffet would be enough. My friend has a beautiful "garde-manger" in her store that would look wonderful there. I can get pix if you're interested.
Handcarved French Sconce
My Houzz: French Country Meets Southern Farmhouse Style in Georgia
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 6:06AM
Genevieve
Love the rooms and the colours that you have , so I found this for you .

0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 6:16AM
clsternaman
I like the sconces..And would definitely be interested in your idea for the bakers rack.
I have that exact dinning room picture stored in my idea book. Love it! I took inspiration from it as I painted a hutch and used in our bedroom, it stores the tv. Need a few more accessories to finish the update with that room as well.
2 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 6:19AM
Maguire
Lovely job on the hutch! Did you use a cream colored paint with a coffee glaze?
I like the new sconces too. I wish you could paint yours but they have a more heavy look.
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 7:05AM
Professional paint job! Very nice!
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 7:10AM
abbyjean
Normally I am not a fan of a baker's rack...been there, done that. BUT this one is not the norm in your kitchen with the base you have on it. And with the eye you have for decor, you have it set up perfectly for that space. It fits and I like it there. Love your home and soooo appreciate you sharing it with us here.
1 Like   August 22, 2013 at 7:18AM
LB Interiors
Nice Home! Great job! The bedroom hutch is wonderful!
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 9:12AM
Decorate a wall that has a mirror and decorate around that mirror
I have a wall that has a nice large decorative mirror...
dhenderson1030
affordable wall decor and rug decor for bedroom
hi everyone. any ideas for wall decor above headboard?...
Gisela Mamposo
Is this wall decor too small for this wall?
I really like this but I think it might be too small...
ecle
wall decor for a wall with a tall headboard
Wall the bed is against has a king size bed and 2 end...
woodsfamily5
How to decorate wall to wall bookcase?
Help! I'd love some suggestions for what to put on...
jonaekw
Update exterior
This whole exterior needs help! We are buying this...
Bobbie Howard
Solar Tubes
What is proper placement of solar tubes? In houzz...
747.2fra
Help me re-do this half bath
It measures 30" wide by 72" toilet wall to mirror....
jacissa
Would it be a shame to paint my old piano?
The 1st picture is my old piano in my living room....
benani1
Upstairs - carpet or mismatched contrasting hardwood
Last year I remodeled my bathroom upstairs and used...
Robert Ting