Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssm712

Creating a pond in my backyard to manage water in Florida

ssm712
10 years ago
We just bought a home in Naples, fl. Imagine our shock to find the backyard now has about a foot of standing water. Anyone have ideas on creating a landscaped finish with a pond to handle the excess water in August. What happens to the pond in winter. Help!

Comments (6)

• ervikingo
    10 years ago
    If you plan to have fish (at least to control the mosquito larvae) Unless you plan to provide water during the dry season, it will not be viable IMHO.

I have used swales or depressions on my backyard. Make it interesting as part of your landscape and it will work all year long.

You could also do a collection/filtration system underground. Does not need to be really complicated. You could dig and replace dirt with gravel then put a mesh with topsoil and sod.
  • ssm712
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks. Since water seeks its own level, I didn't think the water collection approach would work. Do you have recommendations for good landscape architects?
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    SSM, I would suggest your sit down with your local authorities to discuss this issue before you do anything. Having lived in Florida for most of my life, and having worked much of my professional career (Architectural designer, Sr. Project Manager and General Contractor) there, I can tell you the regulations when it comes to standing water and run off containment are confusing and extensive and they take them serious...........there are regulations for wet lands, retention, containment and it's best to touch base with all the agencies who will have a say in what you can do and what you can't do.............trust me, they take it seriously and ignorance of the laws or regulations garnishes no slack from them what so ever.

I had a client just east of you who decided during the course of a complete remodel and addition to a farm house (old citrus operation with packing warehouse) that he would just fill in a small pond that was in the area that he was going to design as the back yard and pool area of his grand plan just how serious the regulatory agencies can get................. we're talking small pond that my grandson in 3rd grade would have no problems skipping a flat rock across the pond to the other bank..............tied his project up for almost a year, cost him thousands in fines and thousands more in remedial modifications (had to dig another pond and create a larger wet land).

Talk to the regulatory agencies, the local authorities and while you're at it...........I would talk to the Agent who handled your purchase and find out why the standing water wasn't disclosed a an existing problem..........at the least, that your property is in a flood plain that during unusual wet conditions (season in FL) that it tends to flood......... Much of this area (Naples, Ft. Myers, etc.,etc.) is low to begin with and periodic standing water is not uncommon. Especially, in light of all the rain SW and much of Florida has received this year..............when you're driving around that area, notice all the homes that seem to be built up on mounds with what are essentially swales in between them, behind them and along their road frontage...............they are there for a good reason..........to handle the rain and water issues of that area..................Welcome to SW Florida.
    ssm712 thanked S. Thomas Kutch
  • ssm712
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks a ton to both of you. Previous owner says they've never had the issue before, yet neighbors say they did... Oh well. We have to figure out what we do. All recommendations are welcome. Thanks again
  • ervikingo
    10 years ago
    Very true. In my case, we had the landscape architect design these and then they were submitted to Broward County Water Management for approval.