OLLD 8/21
mefor
August 21, 2013 in Other
Good morning sleepyheads!! Rise and shine!! Have some coffee and look at these funkadelic tiles
mefor
I meant to post this close up, much more dramatic :)
August 21, 2013 at 7:25am     
Robin W
Good morning Michele. Those are awesome.

DD had a friend dropped off early this morning and I think they've gone back to bed already. In fact, I might head there too. Was up until 1am waiting for the 3hr 'shower ready' caulking to be shower ready. Lol.

We're headed to the Corn Maze at some point in time today... not quite sure when.

Have a great Wednesday!!
August 21, 2013 at 7:28am     
mefor
Hey Robin, sounds like fun. Did they already harvest the corn? They don't do the corn mazes here until October, but we are much further south. Have a good "morning nap" :)
Talk to you later
August 21, 2013 at 7:33am     
DIAspoton
WOW high impact tiles. small sections of this mixed with solids could be amazing.

just went to sign on here thru facebook as i often do. however this time houzz wanted to access my FB friends list.i thought they already could when i signed on thru FB so why ask permission now? what's changed? i declined and used my password. i hardly use FB anymore because it's too invasive. i hate the ads popping up the second you've looked at or read something in a category. i looked up hotels last week online in 2 cities and now have been bombarded with related ads on FB and AOL home page.
August 21, 2013 at 7:46am     
mefor
I know, it's very, very intrusive. As is just about everything these days. I used to not care about that so much, kind of , well who cares if "they" know what I'm doing or looking at on computer. I'm not ashamed of anything I do. But now they want to "see" you through your cable boxes and tvs, of course they say it won't be used for anything, but WTH, what if I'm getting "cozy" with husband? And the tv is on? Or the cable box? Is that something they need to see? Now things have become crazy intrusive. I look things up here all the time, wouldn't you think the companies would get sick of sending me emails following up on things I've looked at dozens of times. No, of course not.
Big plans today?
August 21, 2013 at 7:54am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Good morning ladies..........already getting hot and humid here today.........makes me just want to sit inside, which might not be a bad idea anyways. yesterday tried out the new weed wacker with edger attachment.....then had to make a run to Target to pick up a few household goods and pet food for the critters........and last night my hip and leg were killing me.........not what I would call a night's sleep for sure.

Hey did I tell you about the weed wacker FUBAR incident? Late last summer I purchased a Craftsman 2-cycle weed eater from Sears, used it maybe 4 times, then stored it for winter (drained tank, ran dry, gave cylinder a shot of WD-40..........the usual for winter storage). This summer hauled it out, filled with new fuel (proper 40:1 gas, oil mixture)...........hard as hell to start, and would simply die out if you tried to rev it up. Still under warranty , so I took it back. Growing up any time you had a problem with something that had the Craftsman name on it, Sears would usually just replace it.....period. Not any more. Sent it off to be repaired ...they had it for 4 weeks. Get it back and it still did the exact same thing. Took it back, they sent it off again........another 4 weeks. Get it back, same thing...........Third time I go back with it, I ask to speak to the Manager on Duty (MOD) .........................................................................................................35 minutes later, I'm still waiting for the MOD to come back to Merchandise Pickup area.........they never show up. I'm told by another associate that I have to call the 800 customer service number to resolve...........like hell, I leave and in 10 minutes at home I have both the Store Manager and Regional Manager's corporate email addresses........to which I fired off a rather scathing email last Friday with reference to the piss poor customer service and repair service I received. Saturday, I get a reply from both of them to call the store manager (his personal cell phone number include with the reply) on Monday........by noon Monday, I have a new heavy duty replacement weed eater with an edger attachment thrown in for my trouble..................they work great.

Need to lay out my string guides for the new patio and get my borders installed ...........will probably have to wait till tomorrow to get the bedding gravel.........can't keep taking the Vicodin all the time.

The instant pop up that are coordinated with what we've been surfing the internet researching are one thing, but has anybody else noted the number of product or website survey's that keep popping up? Every time I log onto Houzz I get directed to some Houzz survey..........click on some picture posted to houzz and I get directed to another survey..............here's a survey response...........I'm tired of your surveys.

Michele, I don't worry about the "all seeing TV or cable box".........1) My TV isn't all that smart. 2.) Got rid of cable 2-3 years ago and the only web cam I have is on my computer and when I'm not using it I unplug the USB cable................besides, I always wear my tin foil lined ball cap inside or out.......you never know when big brother is snooping.
August 21, 2013 at 8:38am     
mefor
My tin foil hat is way more stylish than yours, here's one for your critters and an extra for you, just in case you're feeling a little gladiator-ish ;)
August 21, 2013 at 8:45am     
kimdee24
Good morning all! Running out the door, will check in later. Behave yourselves in the meantime...
August 21, 2013 at 9:00am     
mefor
Hi, bye!!!
August 21, 2013 at 9:05am   
S. Thomas Kutch
Kimdee........you're supposed to yell Four when you do that...........guess she's just playing through.
August 21, 2013 at 9:10am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Michele........I don't want to call attention to myself..........I roll incognito............
August 21, 2013 at 9:11am     
kimdee24
FORE!!!!!!! Gotta run....for real this time!
August 21, 2013 at 9:11am     
mefor
You sometimes need to get it out there, and by that I mean your "crazies" STK ;)
August 21, 2013 at 9:44am   
DIAspoton
have fun KD.

STK, i had a very bad customer svc issue with sears many, many moon ago. horrible. i absolutely will not do biz with them again. there are so many companies these days offering excellent svc. it's hard to believe a company can survive with such attitudes, especially since apparently craftsman quality is waning.. glad you won out in the end but hope you'll be able to find what you need from their competitors in the future.

michele, no big plans today. walked dogs between the rain.brought a few things down from the attic to try out.
suddenly realized i need outdoor curtains to soften the edges of the screen porch. so i've been putting up various colors,solids and patterns this morning to get the right feel before buying 8 panels. i like the idea of bright stripes but they'll be visible from inside the house so i need to consider that.
i bought 2 sidelight door panels last summer at a yard sale. glass panes only on the top 1/2. they were brand new and raw wood so i left them outside to age. dry brushed turquiose on them last night. works for me.

what are you up to today?
August 21, 2013 at 10:00am     
mefor
That sounds really great Mo, when will you learn to post, I'd love to see these great projects. How about doing the striped panels in gray and white or ivory. Shouldn't compete too much with the inside or the outside decor. :)
August 21, 2013 at 10:20am   
mefor
More
August 21, 2013 at 10:21am   
mefor
This one is green, but so airy. And the other one I put in for fun :)
August 21, 2013 at 10:21am   
armygirl1987
Hi all at my last coffee break and will be in in the next hour. Hope all is well.
August 21, 2013 at 10:58am     
mefor
Drive carefully!! Talk to you soon :)
August 21, 2013 at 11:06am   
armygirl1987
Home and lamps are here
August 21, 2013 at 12:31pm     
mefor
Going to school?
August 21, 2013 at 12:34pm     
armygirl1987
Yes, I am doing a grievance against a professor because she gave me a B.
August 21, 2013 at 1:02pm        Thanked by mefor
mefor
Good, go kick butt :)
August 21, 2013 at 1:06pm     
Jayme H.
Hi everyone...gotta go to work, maybe will be trolling later...Have a good one everybody!
August 21, 2013 at 2:00pm     
mefor
Hi jayme, I'll be looking for you :)
August 21, 2013 at 2:05pm     
olldroo
Morning all, looks like a day for quick ins and outs. Gotta get moving to do a heap of shopping.

Michele, love those perpendicular tiles, great colours too.

I have a story to tell about irons too - happened many years ago. Brand I bought (top brand) had their own shop and bought direct from them. Three weeks later it blew up and took out the main power switch to the house with it. Took it back to store, refused a new one, it had to be fixed. Two weeks later collected it and another 3 weeks it blew again, again taking out all the power to the house. This went on for 9 months, I meanwhile had to buy a second iron to use when this one was being "fixed", till I collected the iron from again being repaired, took it home and it blew up again the minute I turned it on. By this time the power company was fed up with replacing the main switches and were getting nasty to me. I had been through everyone at the store by this so rang their head office, told a guy my story, his comment ........... "The iron is obviously faulty" Gee was that rocket science???? The would replace the iron - one week later. Went to pick it up and it had been replaced with a reconditioned iron. They copped a stinking letter from me and I have never bought that brand again. These days of course, they would never have gotten away with it, our Fair Trading people would have acted on it.
August 21, 2013 at 6:34pm        Thanked by mefor
olldroo
Mo, I think nothing beats soft white sheer curtains - so romantic.

I think you mentioned something about tile sizes the other day, large tiles can look great in small areas, when I did my bathrooms the wall tiles are 330 x 660 (about 13 ins x 26 ins). On the walls I used them perpendicular and above the bath I only have one row of tiles. The grouting is so minimalist the wall looks great as the tiles have a pattern on them similar to marble, so it just looks like one slab of marble. The downside to using large tiles for renovations though is that often the surfaces are not even and you can get stepped effects, where a tiler can work smaller tiles to avoid this.

Angela, how dare a professor give you a B after all your hard work, you go girl.

All a twitter today, yesterday I bought myself a real whizzbang new SLR camera. Been promising myself a new one for the last 2 to 3 years, but I kept reasearching them so much and totally confusing myself, I just gave up. This time I saw one, liked it, checked it out on a few sites and just made up my mind without looking at anything else. Got a great deal on it too - now I just have to patiently read the Manual (I am not a manual reading person) and work my way through it. I'm thinking the beach next week will be a perfect place to really do it properly and I certainly will have a lot of subjects to photograph.
August 21, 2013 at 6:37pm     
mefor
Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy. It's funny how sometimes the people you deal with act as though you're taking money out of their pocket when you want something fixed or replaced.
Have a good shopping trip, get lots of disposable plates, bowls, utensils, cups and flatware. Get easy snacks to tote along and of course, don't forget all your Patti LaBelle music, lol.
Have a good day!! :)
August 21, 2013 at 6:40pm     
mefor
Love the determination with the camera purchase, looks like the impending holiday is already lifting you out of your funk. Can't wait for you to post some great shots from the trip.
August 21, 2013 at 6:42pm     
kimdee24
What kind of camera did you buy, Ms Roo? I bought myself a Nikon D3100 DSLR a year or so ago, trying to get back into photography again. I took a class to learn (re-learn) how to shoot in manual mode, it was a lot of fun. I really need to get out and practice more with it.
August 21, 2013 at 6:49pm     
mefor
See you guys tomorrow :)
Night
August 21, 2013 at 6:50pm     
olldroo
Night Michele. Don't worry, breakfast is the only meal I am preparing, I think I can manage to put some cereal and milk into a bowl and definitely paper and plastic is on the shopping list. Music can stay, will be too busy out connecting with nature again.
August 21, 2013 at 6:55pm     
Robin W
So so so sad. One of our medics passed away at home this morning. 43 years old.

My heart aches for his family - both biological and EMS.
August 21, 2013 at 6:57pm     
kimdee24
Oh Robin, I am so sorry to hear that! So young...
August 21, 2013 at 6:59pm     
Robin W
Hug your family tight tonight.
August 21, 2013 at 7:09pm     
olldcan
Night Michele, hi everyone.
August 21, 2013 at 7:12pm     
mefor
Thanks roo.
I'm so sorry Robin, so young, it's awful news
August 21, 2013 at 7:14pm   
olldroo
Kd - I got an Olympus OM-D they only came out around April last year. It is supposed to be the fastest camera on the market at the moment and is mirrorless so is much smaller than a normal DSLR. If I take the lens off, it would slide in my handbag like a point and shoot and the lens could then sit beside it. Came with twin lens14-42 and 40-150, which is a bonus and is 16mp which should ensure great photos for the ones I want to blow up and frame or do on canvas prints for the house. The only possible downside is that the flash is not built in, but it just slides on top if I need it. One of it's features is that it performs exceptionally well in low light so the guy said I will find I won't be using the flash as much. The photos I took in the shop without it were excellent.

I still bought a nice carry bag for it with a long strap I can put across my body to have everything on hand but still be hands free, but I will just maybe make up a little bag to protect it if I do just want to carry it in my handbag. What I particularly liked also is that the screen swivels so you can face it inwards when the camera isn't in use and there is no risk of it being scratched.

I am quite into artistic photography, especially when I Iove to scrapbook my photos as well and this has an interesting feature where you can create borders and add artistic features to photos when you take them. Guy showed me briefly but I had no idea what he did so will have to go through all that in the manual. I did a 6 week photography course a few years back but I only had a point and shoot at the time, so will have to get out my notes and work out all the manual use again. I didn't bother with it too much at the time either as I mostly only take photos of the kids and they are such perpetual motion you don't have time to fiddle.

A friend of mine and her husband are photography nuts, they go away for two weeks and come home with 6,000 photos. They have the top photoshop programme and spend days editing and playing around with their photos. They have won quite a few awards too. She bought a new camera last year and I think it might have been the one you have and she is quite happy with it.

I'm still in constant touch with the guy I did the course with, he is a professional photographer, so I'm thinking I might see if he has any courses going before the end of the year where I can pick up more pointers specific to this camera.
August 21, 2013 at 7:15pm     
mefor
Like ships that pass in the night, see you tomorrow candace. Can't stay up tonight. Night, hope there was progress today :)
August 21, 2013 at 7:15pm     
armygirl1987
Hi everyone, night Michele. I need you to find a way to post. LOL. So sorry Robin
August 21, 2013 at 7:16pm     
armygirl1987
I got the Nikon 3100 this past Christmas too Kimdee.
August 21, 2013 at 7:17pm     
olldroo
Gosh, Robin, I am so sorry, 43 is so young, that is really sad. It must be sending quite a shock through the whole EMS family.
August 21, 2013 at 7:19pm     
mefor
Angela, left you another present :)
August 21, 2013 at 7:20pm     
olldcan
Robin, was he ill with something or was this unexpected, gee 43 is so young. I'm assuming married with children? How terribly sad .

Michele, like 2 ships LOL...that cracked me up. Tomorrow we might be like 2 bumper cars. Go get some rest, you might need it now that your company has cleared out. I'd have been on here sooner but Hubby s night to cook, often means were eating out :)
August 21, 2013 at 7:26pm        Thanked by mefor
Robin W
No illnesses that I know of.

As much of a jerk as he could be, we lost a darned good medic today. I had my first intubation on a cardiac arrest with him when I was a new medic. I told him I had never done it before and he looked at me and said something to the effect of 'that's not what I want to hear...' and then he walked me through it. Great teacher.

Aw man... I hate crying.
August 21, 2013 at 7:31pm     
armygirl1987
Nothing wrong with crying Robin. Let it out...
August 21, 2013 at 7:43pm        Thanked by mefor
olldroo
Angela is right, letting it out makes it so much easier to cope. Everyone is going to be pretty down for some time to come so give up the mascara for a while and let go.
August 21, 2013 at 7:46pm        Thanked by mefor
armygirl1987
I always feel better when I cry.
August 21, 2013 at 8:27pm     
kimdee24
A good cry does wonders sometimes.
August 21, 2013 at 8:37pm     
armygirl1987
Night guys.
August 21, 2013 at 9:22pm     
mefor
Hi, started 8/22 :)
August 22, 2013 at 5:16am   
OLLD 6/21
A message from the OLLDS to Sir David of Ironwood Builders: We...
OLLD 4/21
Morning everyone! David, don't be a stranger, ok? The...
OLLD 3/21
It's spring .. officially; so why do we have a prediction...
OLLD 2/21
Morning girls, and, i hope today, roosters… Did...
OLLD 10/21
Morning everyone, happy Monday :) What's happening...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
I need to figure out how to fit my furniture in this living room!
I got new couches and cannot figure out where to put...
Backyard Ideas
Hi I recently pulled out bushes that our builder had...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
Living room unworkable?
I have two big teenage boys who like to watch TV with...