Need help with my living room
cobrageech
Help! My 14x20 living room is a decorating nightmare! I recently bought a sectional to give us maximum seating but I am not happy with it. We have decided to relocate the sectional to another room and buy new furniture. I am thinking a sofa and 2 chairs but need help with style and placement. We are having a custom fish tank placed on wall opposite sectional. I would love to center furniture in the room facing the fireplace but that blocks a walk way to back door!! Please help!
cobrageech
Sorry! Darn autocorrect! I was saying I want to center furniture facing the fireplace!
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:05PM
Fixed that for you. :)

I love your room! Is your house overall traditional in style?
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:11PM
cobrageech
Yes
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 3:16PM
k8sl8
I like the sectional in the space. What is it about the piece that you don't like? Wall color to me is a bit off with the upholstery, would that help your dilema? Wonder too, if the the pieces flanking the clock are overkill... especially with the metal console table/stuff. Can you simplify a bit?
3 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:26PM
2dogssashatess
.I feel the clock is way too big
13 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:50PM
cobrageech
I like the sectional but we are redoing another room and think it will work better there. I was hoping to make this space a little more formal but still comfortable. Thinking leather for the couch b/c of my dog. Not sure how I feel about the clock either. The high walls are hard to decorate.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:54PM
Replace clock with big 40x40 art put in oil with color. Put clock on another wall.
7 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:54PM
More colful pillows on sofa. Replace tall item with a end table large with a big lamp.
3 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:55PM
Put panels on ends of windows.
2 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 3:56PM
mamastyle
I really like the clock and would like to know where it is available as I have just posted a family room I need suggestions for and this clock might work in my place
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 4:37PM
cobrageech
Value city furniture but it was at least 2 years ago
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 4:50PM
cobrageech
Putting panels on the windows brings up another dilemma. Not sure what type curtains to put on windows that works for 2 high windows and door.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 4:53PM
formerteach
Boy, can I feel your pain. My family room (approx 15X22) has 4 actual doorways as well as the eating area between the FR and kitchen. There were lots of questions that came to my mind: how do you plan to use the room; large scale entertaining or small intimate family time? How much "traffic moves through the open areas? And, you suggested you are pretty traditional and would like possibly leather. I am having some trouble marrying all of these. Do you like the hunt club leather or modern? I just redid my LR and before I started I actually spent hours going through the Houzz pictures saving the ones I really liked. When I was ready to start I had a really good idea of the colors and styles I wanted. Maybe taking a little time to think this all out might help. Just "search" for specific items like leather couch or loveseat. You'll gets lots of ideas!
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 4:56PM
sstarr
As someone with dogs, I don't think leather is the best choice. Their claws leave scratches which over time become a problem. You could of course get one of those Orvis fleece sofa covers
3 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 4:58PM
cobrageech
I will do that! Thanks! I get a little ADD when I think about decorating!
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 5:01PM
sstarr
;-) Make sure you take off the cover when visitors are coming!!
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 5:18PM
IMO, oversized clocks are not decor items, so I'd remove that ASAP. You'll have to determine if you want to treat this space as though it is a shotgun house by leaving a clear path through to the back door. Is that a well-worn path or could traffic flow in a more interesting, if not direct, way? A sofa and two chairs are the easiest way to deal with such complications.
5 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 5:26PM
oreosam
I recently saw a similar clock at Urban Barn
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 5:26PM
cobrageech
With teenagers in the house and a pool in the back yard it's very busy walkway!
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 7:04PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Wowee. You will always know what time it is. Move it to the kitchen, or near the garage...
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 8:47PM
That huge clock was meant for a space like over your fireplace. You put the TV over the fireplace and probably are trying to make the clock work, but frankly you need another tall large space for it. If not, why not sell it on Craigslist.
4 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 9:03PM
Julia Whalen
I agree with all the clock comments....the clock needs it's own space and it's the first thing you look at when you look at the room....simplify!
1 Like   August 22, 2013 at 7:12AM
lpllb27
Paint the walls a shade or two lighter than the clock. The clock won't stand out as much but the sofa will.
5 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 11:42AM
urapia
a small console table between the sectional and the wall would help center the piece to the fireplace without interrupting the flow.. also the visual "space" that this would create would make the room appear wider .. Be sure to put a tall plant or sculptural piece on the console to add color.. take a look at some Pottery Barn inspiration pictures if you like that look
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 11:07AM
Put console table behind sofa on wall with art items. To fill space more. remove lamp.
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 11:34AM
Place small plants on floor to coffee tray. No framed pic.
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 11:34AM
Put red base lamp next to sofa on lower end table. Put basket under coffee tab. By firepl where plants were.
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 11:36AM
86redvette
FOR HIGH CEILINGS, JUST DROP YOUR CROWN MOLDINGS DOWN ABOUT 12 TO 18 INCHES AND THEN EITHER LIGHT WALL TO A COUPLE OF SHADES DARKER ABOVE THE MOLDING OR VICE VERSA. WHEN MAKING A FIREPLACE YOUR FOCAL POINT TRY FOUR OVERSTUFFED COMFY CHAIRS WITH ARMS AND THEN MAKE YOUR CLOCK INTO A COFFEE TABLE.
3 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 6:40PM
cobrageech
Love the 4 chair idea but my clock as a coffee table I don't get!
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 6:45PM
portpiro
This is why I hate sectionals. Everyone seems all squashed together in them and they never work as well as 2 sofas IMO. I don't like single chairs much either unless their extra seating in room corners, probably because they remind me of my 50s childhood where everyone had a matching sofa and 2 chairs in their living room. I still prefer a 3 seater sofa and a 2 seater in an L arrangement or 2 sofas facing each other or even 3 in a U shape in a large room. I think you could fit a 3 and a 2 in your space. You may cut down that walk way by a smidge but that's not necessarily bad. At present it looks like the walk way has precedence in your room and everything else fits in around it.

The clock overpowers the current space but it may like fine elsewhere in the room. I think I'd remove the scroll thing over the TV and the scones either side of the clock. Not really doing it for me I'm afraid. A large modern unframed painting or print simply framed and colourful would lift the mood in the room. I think I'd also lay a toning runner in the walkway area to balance the room better. A longer narrower coffee table would work better too.
1 Like   August 25, 2013 at 12:31AM
mistyschell
Do you need ALL that stuff in that room? I think the whole room would look better if you took out all the knick knacks and decorator items, and kept it simpler. Nothing on the coffee table but one low lying decorative item, nothing on top of that bookshelf thing. The end table is nice, but the lamp on it is not proportionate. Not sure how you can fit that table in when you get the new couch though.

One sofa and two chairs won't look as good as two loveseats layed out the same way as your current sectional, with a square end table between them, topped with a nice short lamp.
The clock and sconces must go. Replace with two or three large framed oil paintings, or whatever art you're into, providing it suits the style of the sofa you buy.
3 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 1:09AM
Upholstery Techniques
Perhaps a matching sofa and chair would work best? Something cosy and comfortable would work well in this space. There's nothing better than large cushions for the the luxury sofa look. Something like the Winslow sofa - http://www.upholstery-techniques.com/luxury-sofas/winslow/
2 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 1:29AM
gloriartz
Apart from adding some window panels maybe another capert that will incooperate the colours of the floor, throw pillows, clock, walls as well as the sofa.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 2:02AM
lakeviewlady
Your idea of the sectional is perfect for entertaining and/or a large gathering. You made the right choice-and in my opinion it is not necessary to purchase another seating group. Slipcovers (and throws) for dogs and children are a much better choice. Sunbrella fabric would be my first choice for durability-it's washable and dries very quickly too. Leather with dogs-definitely not a good idea!
I've been in the design business over 25 yrs. and have seen 'evidence'...

Before giving up, please try rearranging what you have.
Begin by placing the rug in front of (and against) the fireplace hearth-instead of off center. Place the outside edge of the rug in alignment with the edge of the hearth. Keeping it close will assist in preventing 'curling' of the edges and also keep accidental tripping at a minimum.
Next, move the sofas away from the wall; they appear to be pushed back to make more space. Keep the outside arm of the sofa facing the fireplace in alignment with the edge of the hearth. Just these few small 'adjustments' will make the room appear larger~

Not sure about that sofa table 'floating' in a walk thru space. Instead, perhaps purchase a large wood credenza -it will provide balance in proportion to the 'weightiness' of the sofas -and provide added storage! Purchase an additional lamp-just like the one you already have! Great choice for size and color. Perhaps 3 pillows/or 5-(always use an odd number on a sectional sofa) with the same colors as the lamps, rug & walls. Stripes are preferable to florals- as the room is more contemporary.

*Adding more items to the room will not improve the 'balance' issues.
Also, a custom aquarium in a hall/walk through area is not a good idea unless it will be wall-mounted.
Your clock is fine where it is- the candle sticks are out of proportion.
Try removing & using them with the items on the knick-knack wall (one each outside edges).
From your photos that looks like the 'tallest' wall space, therefore the items should be positioned more
vertically- instead of horizontal as you have them now.
Good luck with these 'little' changes.
10 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 2:46AM
Jacqueline Parker
The wrought Iron is not doing you any favors, the clock and the candle sconces look bitty. You could change the finish on the coffee table( move the bitty bookshelf to a built in situation or hide it!!!) and make it more whitewashed( the high gloss reddy color is not good) I would paint it with some chalk paint in cream old white the same color as the sofa and add some interesting things on the table if you want to leave the red rug there then think table lamps in white drum or square shades with side tabeles( just also steer clear from black.)
Maybe paint the walls white and get rid of the green hue because it is putting the cream out and hang a very large canvas with main color cream/white. Alternatively a large white washed mirror maybe . There are so many thing you could do to add cohesion here.It could be a dreamy white and cream space.
2 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 4:14AM
19shirley
I think the sectional is perfect for the space. area rug all wrong. seems trend is for mono tone. maybe a muted color rug would work with an accent color worked in in pillows and art, foot stool, books, decorations on table etc. love the clock too. flanking sconces not so much. then again what do I know. seems what ever makes us happy is what "works"
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 5:29AM
terolynl
If you truly can't decide how to arrange the room try using folding chairs (or your dining chairs) and place them in different configurations in the room. Put two or three together to mimic the sofa or love seat you might be considering. No - it doesn't take up all the space the actual furninture does but it can give you a feel for flow within the room and between the furniture. I agree with 19shirley about what ever makes her happy is what works. A decorator would probably find lots of fault with my living room set-up but we are comfortable with it and it works for us. Everybody has an opinion - take it all with a grain of salt!
4 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 6:38AM
labbott16
I would suggest a sofa and two chairs. Center the sofa with the fireplace and so you have room to walk in the room on either side. Put two chairs (depending on size and space) on the left side of fireplace. Same L shape like the sectional but easy to move around. Good luck!
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 7:12AM
cobrageech
Thanks for all the great comments! So excited to make some changes!! Lakeviewlady love your ideas!!! Thank you for being so specific. That really helps.
1 Like   August 25, 2013 at 7:34AM
worth05
How about floating a sofa more in the middle of the room still facing the fireplace. Consider a sofa with a Chaise on the left (when looking at it) and maybe a chair on the wall that the sofa is currently on, that way you can access the room from either side of the sofa. The sofa with chaise wouldn't be exactly centered, but that would be o.k. The fish tank on the other wall and the size of the chaise would help visually balance the room.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 7:43AM
jennifermacht
Since that is such a pathway through the house, take down the small shelves and other small items from that wall. Center the large clock by itself on the wall. Put the console table behind the sectional that is against the wall, bringing it more out in the room. Pull the rug over to the edge of the hearth. That should be your natural edge to the room for furniture placement. Reposition smaller objects from big wall into the smaller space on the wall that now has the console table and lamp against it. Lovely home!
2 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:01AM
manyhomes
I would either eliminate the TV over fireplace or hang it on the wall where you are planning to put the aquarium.
Once you move the TV the room gets easy. I happen to love four chairs on swivels, turn for either TV or fireplace. It also gives you space for a couple of ottomans under a hall table on the wall opposite fireplace. Aquarium can go on long wall to right of fireplace. That wall could have bookcases, storage etc. you can do a lot with that room!
1 Like   August 25, 2013 at 8:07AM
nyoung10
I would definitely move the rug in front of the fireplace. Then pull the sofa away from the wall and put it more in the front of the fireplace. The house is beautiful!!
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:27AM
catnoel
Seems as if nothing is "grounding" the space - need pieces with substance and black *not wrought iron type" also adds a "grounding" effect. Otherwise everything seems too unsubstantial. Also, I'd break up the sectional and put the back of the sofa towards the walkway creating sort of a barrier to the room and then go from there. Worth a try.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:40AM
minichops
What about 4 chairs with a round coffee table.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:41AM
spitfire60
I was thinking the same thing on the one sofa table behind the couch. Move it to the art wall.. that will open that up.. also the corner of the sofa is it a separate piece??, could you move the corner hutch and merge the two pieces together for one long couch.. or to break it up, I have used a square table such as you have out front for the corner piece of the sectional. the two cushion, corner table and then the 3 cushion, I know that would leave the one piece but it would also open up your room immensely. If you really do have a space for it, the sectional. two couches, one a love seat and one a regular couch.. still leave the hutch out of the picture and keep the sofa table on the art wall. I find the TV/fireplace overwhelming, you could move the TV to the art wall and switch the art somewhere else like behind the couch in place of the Big Clock and as suggested The big clock over the fireplace.. you can always patch holes easily.. play with it.. And some wall color, Because mine is a condo with soffets, I have sand color on two walls and a gorgeous sage green on the other two. play with the colors.. get some samples and paint a 4x4 patch.. Again play with it.. Ask the kids .. or better yet turn it over to them, my son is more creative than I am.. I can see right away what you might need, but when it comes to me.. I'm stumped.. so my son is my eyes to see what I can't. Sell your stuff on Craigs List.. or whatever you have..
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:41AM
MJ Design & Interiors LLC
Lots of great advice. We all see a room a little differently. It is always a little bit of challenge to see true colors in photos on the internet. But, I would paint the walls a little darker neutral, like Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore -- it is a warm gray and looks great against white trim molding and goes with almost any color scheme.

With your sectional, it really only seats four people comfortably and really only one person could stretch out on the sofa to watch TV or take a nap. I would replace the sectional with a sofa that has three seat cushions but semi-attached back. Across from the fireplace next to the sofa facing the fireplace put two large upholstered chairs most are 35x35 inches. Have the edge of one line up with the edge of the fireplace. You would have plenty of walk space as your teenagers dart in and out from outside. I would put the sofa table behind the sofa and put two lamps on it and put a canvas painting (you can get some great ones at Z Gallerie) that is vertical (rectangular) between the table lamps. Remove the sconces and I would put the large clock above the TV. Remove the tall chest in the corner and place a smaller scale upholstered chair at an angle. That would give you seating for six people. Between the two larger upholstered chairs place a narrow rectangular end table to have a place to put a drink or book or whatever. If you can run a cord under the chairs and sofa so that it is not that visible you can place a lamp that has more of a candlestick base to it on the narrow table. I would not do leather. I have two beautiful leather chairs that I paid a lot for that now have character scratches and marks from animal claws. I would use outdoor fabric -- there are some great ones that can be neutral and stand up to teenagers, animals, etc. Easier to clean. Sunbrella is one line of outdoor fabrics.

I would replace the coffee table with a larger square coffee table and replace the area rug with one that is a little larger and more in scale with the room and furniture layout. If the ceiling fan is not used a lot, I would replace with a great chandelier that is more open and transitional/contemporary style -- it would still work great with traditional furnishings and work better with a beach theme. If you have to keep the ceiling fan, I would get rid of the tassels. On the windows, it looks like you have wood or faux wood blinds. I would do a top faux roman shade valance and mount it below the arches on the two upper windows and the lower left window. It will give some pattern to the overall décor.

The wall where the large fish tank is going. Are you mounting that into the wall or will it be sitting on a large stand? The projection into the room does narrow the walk path.

It looks like a beautiful home.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:54AM
manyhomes
I have used four chairs many times and have found that a round coffee table doesn't work well. You really can't reach it comfortably unless the chairs are too close and it takes away the flexibility of having individual pieces. There are many wonderful small tables available.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:55AM
manyhomes
Picture above is from a previous house. I have some others with swivel chairs but not on my camera roll.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:57AM
Norma Sassone
This seems to be an on-going dilemma here on Houzz: The "open-concept" living/family room, with lots of windows and large doorways, and a fireplace wall flanked by huge windows, which is the only place to put the gigantic TV's we have all come to adore. In addtion, there are issues with traffic flow and egress to other rooms. Personally, I think it goes beyond a decorating dilemma to an architectural one. Don't house plan designers think about how the home owners will actually be able to fit their furniture in and walk through their rooms with ease?
5 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:08AM
uberv
Some things to consider...

Will this continue to be a TV viewing area? How many people and animals will routinely share the space? Will a sofa and pair of chairs or four chairs suit the use of the space?

You have a wider passage to the back door than you need. The ledges at head height make it uncomfortable to walk close to the wall. You can remove them and move the sectional out to the edge of the fireplace. Turn it so its back forms the edge of the passage way. You will have a sufficient corridor. The fish tank can then go on the wall where the clock is and be viewed from the sofa. You are making a big investment in a custom tank so it would be a shame to have it just given a passing glance as you walk through the room.

The clock may be slim enough to work on the passageway wall. The candle sticks and cross would make a nice grouping on the mantle to the side of the TV.

The furniture does not need to sit on the area rug. Pull it out to the edge of the seats and then move the coffee table out further from the seating. You should have at least 18 inches to navigate comfortably between a sofa or chair and a coffee table.

From the lamps on the sofa table and the electronics cabinet it seems that lighting is an issue. If there are any pot lights these can easily be put on a dimmer to make the room work well in a variety of uses. You could add sconces to avoid table lamps.

I would stay clear of leather with dogs, especially the glossy leathers with a hard finish. The pricy aniline finished soft leathers will get a "patina" which may not be what you want in the long run. If you couldn't imagine stains on a marble or concrete counter then you may not like that look. Microfiber upholstery is durable and easy to clean. The suede texture gives it a rich look without breaking the bank.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:31AM
If moving sectional , which I think works. Get 7 ft sofa in a shade of gray. Place looking at firepl. Add 2 chairs out from wall 18-20"where clock is. Center clock on wall more . Opposite 2 chairs put 2 more chairs smaller and swivel barrel style in a print. Using a accent color plus gray. Higher back wing back chairs in a very dark gray, add teal pillows to them and mix up colors for sofa. Area rug 5 x7. Gray print with teal, or accent color. Chairs would still have room to walk to side door. You need 24". You could change shelves to clock wall do the same look. Then put clock on shelve wall that would open space more. Round coffee table, table between tall chairs, nothing between barrel chairs. Leave sofa table behind sofa. Remove tall case by window. Also small plants by FP.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:45AM
If you want to keep red rug, that would work turn to run other way and have a border around it. Gray furn in different shades will work print chairs should be gray with a touch of red and cream. Sofa could be charcole with white piping. Tall chairs softer gray add red print pillow.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:48AM
To roman shades on windows. In a dark rd. on door too. Leave half way down.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:49AM
4fickeras
At a quick glance, the sofa table, to me, looks dated and big. Try two ceramic seats or any two small table at the right height. Also, the candle sconces doesn't look right next to the big clock. I suggest adding another 2 art work in the same shape....group of 3's on the wall look nice. However, I also see too many art/picture frames on all the walls...makes it look too busy everywhere. Maybe group all the small art/pictures on one wall. The entertainment center looks small and dated, and the lamp on top of it looks out of place. Don't buy anything new. Just search around your house and see if you can find anything to replace the items I mentioned here. Good luck.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 10:01AM
ptmatthews
With that TV, and the traffic pattern of the house, I'd say this is a TV room, not a formal room, and that the sectional actually works well in this room. If you want to go formal, move the TV to another room and make the clock wall the focal point. Then arrange your furniture in relation to the new focal point. (I personally wouldn't use the clock because clocks are too utilitarian to me). What would be REALLY nice is to change the traffic pattern, but I know that is probably unrealistic.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 10:15AM
Amy Stanley
It seems like your sectional needs another piece- it comes up short of lining up with your fireplace thus adding an awkward look. Can the pieces be reconfigured or is it all one piece? The idea of a sectional is great you just need one piece more to extend that part of the sofa. I would move the table to the entry hall area under your groupings- wondering if your could spin your rug to run the other way and add a chair turned towards the fireplace on the end if that would bridge the gap. (if you did that I would lose the sofa table all together) You have worked hard to decorate and it shows I wouldn't start over just because some pieces bother others.

Just a thought what if you pulled the sectional off the wall enough to bring it down to line up with fireplace better then move the sofa table under the clock behind the sofa there and out of your pathway?
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 10:31AM
katydidit
Looks great to me. Since your hall is wide, I would put a tall, wide, shallow piece of furniture on that wall where the photos are. Something with room to put the pix mixed in with other items on the wall part.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 12:17PM
Tracy Mccormack
I'd move the tv to the wall with the clock....then swing the sectional around to face that way so it's back is in facing your walking path. Cozier and then you have an opportunity to dress the mantel. You have lots of pretty stuff ~ just move things around and play with the space.
1 Like   August 25, 2013 at 3:24PM
catnoel
I'm finding this so funny. Us HOUZZ people are not shy at all in giving advice. Your house is lovely and doing different iterations of furniture, etc, you'll come to find something that you like and that works. Would love to see it when you get there. In the meantime, enjoy all the interest.
2 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 3:56PM
Bettie Waddle
Just a small idea. Replace, recover or paint all the electric outlet covers, light switches, smoke alarms and thermostats to match or blend with the walls. It's surprising how much difference this will make in the busy-ness of the room.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 5:02PM
1970raeann
If you are using your sectional in another room, then maybe this space doesn't require a couch. The room could certainly handle 4 comfortable chairs and a nice ottoman grouped nicely around the fireplace. I did see a tv over fireplace if it is to remain, you could still get a cozy affect by putting a love seat under the clock and two nice casual chairs across from it . just depends on how many people you want to accomodate in the room at one time. Also, floor lamp in corner by the window could add nice ambience.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:19PM
millsdt
Put something with color where the clock is and take the sconces down. Also the book shelf in the corner doesn't belong and the coffee table is too big. Perhaps a glass topped coffee table with a wrought iron base or frames. If you get rid of the sectional get a smaller sofa...84" and maybe you could angle it and flank it with upholstered chairs. You could get 3 inch shutters for the windows. From the photos I think you might have two windows so if I did draperies, hang them from the top of the wall and hang one on the left side of one window and the other on the right side of the other window!! Also change the wall color, put up some crown molding and get a color scheme that you like .rug, pillows, draperies!
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:23PM
ndarkroom
I would remove the clock and sconces and replace them with a large piece of very colorful art and add coordinating sofa pillows. Pick a wall color in a neutral shade that compliments the artwork. A neutral rug with a pattern, and texture in fabric accessories. I would remove all other furniture and accessories in that part of the room until I get the sofa area like I want it - then only replace what coordinates and is useful and beautiful.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:32PM
gnecg
Hi.Adding color much better even in a tiny room or busy room.Hope it helps how to arrange & bring the color in the lounge room.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 10:03PM
gnecg
I love your rug.I have red shaggy red rug in my lounge room & couch is the same like yours but leather chocolate brown b'coz I have 4 small children but I used hi-gloss round white coffee table.
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 10:07PM
Carolyn Adams
I have a similar problem but I was thinking of a sectional now I don't know. I want to use my fireplace in winter. I have a loveseat and two chairs, bookcase, corner cabinet, large cabinet for wines and glasses, and sofa table. O, and a rug, large plants, and three tier stand, telephone booth, think that's it. I know it to much but don't know what to let go.
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 5:41AM
spitfire60
Panel windows, I like lots of light. those shades that move up and down would be great.. just lower the top for privacy if they are really tall.
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 6:46AM
Studio Van Herik
Have you thought of angling that sectional? Just slightly.......instead of putting it flush up against the wall? While it might eat into your passageway/walking space a bit, it might be worth a try. While I, too, like the clock it is overwhelming that wall a bit.........hope that helps
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 10:44AM
aimran
hi cobrageech, please do post photos when you make changes.. would like to see the decor.. You have great stuff and teh sectional is fine.
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 10:05PM
Jennifer Lock
Hello,

For furniture ideas and inspiration check out the collections that Bryght has, I am sure you would find something perfect for your space.

If you are thinking of trying to find another sofa than you might want to check out the Helsinki Modular Sofa http://www.bryght.com/product/190/helsinki-modular-4-seat-sectional-with-ottoman

If you don't fancy that be sure to check out the other styles just in case.

Happy Decorating!
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 11:41PM
ciprix
If is not too late for my comment. I would say that you should replace the future sofa on the other wall, that way you would have the view over the fire place and a big wall to cover with some furniture for library, TV and paintings. The wall can have some other powerfull color like red. With this arrangement you will obtain more room in perception. The double layered windows should have some courtains like panels (IKEA has some) and the textures of the courtains may vary.
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 8:39AM
aimran
how long is the fish tank and if it isnt mounted can it be placed infront of the window next to the fireplace? and the clock hung above the fp, with tv taking it's current place.. and then positioning your lovely sectional in such a way that one arm faces fp, the other the tv, floating in the room?? this way you get a passage way to the door to pool.. place the console under the tv.. and have the lamp placed on an end table you may have.. This is all just re-arrangement and centering of seating.. I don't know if this has been recommended before or not..
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 11:59PM
spitfire60
You don't want a fish tank in front of a window. it will algae like crazy unless you keep the shades/curtains closed, the rest of the layout sounds good
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 6:02AM
aimran
oh i didn't know that (thanks), as my aunt keeps one.. haven't heard her complain.. but upkeep is definitely a big concern in all decor stuff.
0 Likes   August 28, 2013 at 10:01PM
maryalicetrainor
We had a long and narrow room like this in our previous home. We bought an extra long sofa and a club chair and this worked great for max seating. However we had the TV on the other long wall facing the sofa. WOuld you consider moving the TV?
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 7:42AM
keepgoing24
hi i think you should centre the furniture...and your house looks traditional in its approach so please ont go for leather...get elegant traditional upholstered chairs and a 3seater sofa...ans please add some color to the wall they look plain..
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 6:30AM
Window To Nowhere - Ideas?
Here is your design challenge. I am starting a rehab...
Townhouse Fireplace needs an update
My townhouse came with a standard fireplace that just...
Need help with my bathroom.
My bathroom has no windows. It has a white wall-to-wall...
Which way should coffee table drawer face?
Should coffee table drawer face the couch for convenience...
WANTED: Interior Designer Matchmaker
Hello Houzz Community, I'm interested in looking for...