Before an After Kitchen Project
kmedl
August 21, 2013 in Before & After
This kitchen was part of a remodeling project that also included the living area and dining area. I posted the project on Houzz one year ago when we began the process. We decided to take down a partial diagonal wall that separated the kitchen and living area in order to open up the whole space. It is not a big house and this is the main space in the middle of the house.

With lots of good feedback from everyone at Houzz, we tore up the laminate hardwood and had new oak flooring installed in the whole space and then stained, completely reorganized the kitchen to improve the functioning, added an island, designed a desk space (to hide a huge ugly wall return vent), installed lots of can lights, under cabinet lighting, honed granite counters, and tiled backsplash.

The only appliance that still remains are the double ovens, but they will be replaced with 30" ovens, so we had that cabinet built large enough to accommodate the ovens when we get them. That's why that cabinet looks larger than the ovens.

We are not white kitchen cabinet people. It's just not a look that works for us. So we know some people will think its a lot of wood, but it is what we like. We still need to finish painting the window trim, get some type of window treatment, and possibly a rug runner in front of the sink. Any ideas on window treatment or accessories?

Here are 2 before pictures and a few of the after.
kmedl
Here are a few more of the after.
August 21, 2013 at 5:09pm     
abbyjean
I just keep looking and looking and finding more and more things to love! That sink is amazing! The bar stools and desk chair FIT so well. Nice colors and flow to the room. ENJOY!
August 21, 2013 at 5:12pm        Thanked by kmedl
Great update. The wood and other material choices feel warm and elegant.
August 21, 2013 at 6:11pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Thanks Dytecture. You were one of the people who made comments and suggestions on our original post a year ago.
August 21, 2013 at 6:22pm   
wisneb
Awesome job! Love that sink and beautiful wood floors!
August 21, 2013 at 7:05pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
wisneb, thank you! I LOVE my one bowl sink. First time I've had one like that.
August 21, 2013 at 7:34pm   
Ann
Very nice!!!!
August 21, 2013 at 7:38pm      Thanked by kmedl
Ann
Great choice of backsplash. So often, backsplashes get overdone - yours is great!
August 21, 2013 at 7:39pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Ann, it was hard to control myself in the tile stores. There are so many interesting and beautiful tiles! But I really wanted something timeless and not trendy, and we wanted the cabinets to stand out, not the backsplash or granite. So we went with a very simple travertine.
August 22, 2013 at 5:25am     
RosemaryR
Beautiful renovation, now sit back and enjoy your home, best wishes for joy and happiness.
August 22, 2013 at 2:45pm      Thanked by kmedl
Laurie
Your kitchen is beautiful! I have a question though. How do you like the microwave drawer compared to the over the stove microwave? I want the drawer, my husband wants the regular door kind but more at hand/elbow level. I have spilled too many hot soups on me taking them out since it is above the stove.
August 23, 2013 at 4:18am      Thanked by kmedl
Terracegallery
Great job!
August 23, 2013 at 4:28am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Laurie, We love the microwave drawer. A big reason we went with the drawer style was that I was tired of reaching up into the microwave, but also because I didn't want to break up the look of my cabinets above where the microwave is. I just didn't want to look at another appliance. My husband wasn't sure either, especially because it cost a lot more for the drawer type, but I have to say that he is surprised how much he does like it. So it was a combination of function and the design of the kitchen that helped us decide.
August 23, 2013 at 5:10am     
crchappell
Gorgeous! What are your countertops?
August 23, 2013 at 5:39am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The name of the granite is "Suede". We had the granite honed. They are so easy to maintain compared to a polished granite.
August 23, 2013 at 5:56am     
cornettoryandtim
Love it! The microwave drawer is an interesting and cool choice. Im loving the sink. thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us.
August 23, 2013 at 9:57am      Thanked by kmedl
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Love it all! Great update! Love the honed granite!
August 23, 2013 at 10:49am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. It took us a year to do these updates, but it was worth the wait. Now we are beginning the guest bathroom. Can't wait to get started on that one. It has the same cabinets that were in this kitchen before the renovation. Hopefully this one won't take so long :)
August 23, 2013 at 7:29pm     
quercus2
Very nice job. Especially like the sink. One thing I'm confused about, though, is the white trim on the window. If you have more time and money, you also might consider changing the ceiling beams. Either paint them to match the color of the ceiling or the tone of the cabinets.
August 24, 2013 at 6:06pm   
kmedl
quercus2, the painter has to come back and finish the trim on the window. He forgot to paint the brown wood. The rest of the wood trim will be painted white.
August 24, 2013 at 6:11pm     
pattipat
Love the kitchen, but glad to hear the window will also be painted. I like the microwave drawer and the wall ovens, but they weren't in my budget. I just have to ask, is that a down light installed in the side of the island? As my niece would say, that's cool!!
August 24, 2013 at 7:13pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I'm not sure what you mean by a down light. Its just a receptacle required by code. We have a pop-up downdraft behind the cooktop. Is that maybe what you were referring to?
August 25, 2013 at 10:11am   
Brown Bros. Masonry
Love it! Great work with the island addition. Added so much more functional/useable space and it looks amazing. Great work!
August 25, 2013 at 2:16pm      Thanked by kmedl
carolins
Love the sink and the bar stools. Nice details in the cabinet doors. Beautiful pulls and handles.
August 30, 2013 at 11:11am   
Our Kitchen before and after project 2013
We moved into this house earlier this year and the...
Project Update - Before and After
Please see a link to the prior discussion board. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/344061/Help---I-am-not-sure-how-to-add-color-to How...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
HELP with cabinet pull finish!
We are close to being done with our kitchen remodel....
My front entry is boring, boring, boring - please help!
My front door area is a snoozefest! I have two sidelights...
Entryway revamp question.
I want to replace my 36x83 front exterior door with...