Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evamdesign

How to finish cabinets to make the new addition cohesive with the othe

evamdesign
10 years ago
Getting our home ready for sale and I appreciate your feedback. I have a few questions

As we needed more cabinet and storage space we added a utility station that houses our charging garage, recycling area and other odds and sods. We used slate tile to tie the other cabinet in with our living area that has a fireplace finished in slate for the hearth and ledgestone walls. We had plans on staining the beech doors in black brown to again tie in with that finish in the living area. But I'm not sure if that is necessary.

About the current kitchen. We have extra trim used that was used under the cabinets to trim the top of the cabinets. But I'm wondering if we should perhaps remove the middle cabinet with glass doors. Also should we paint over the red? Its about resale value, I personally love the red, I'm just wondering if it will put off buyers. We live in a bungalow townhome and potential buyers would be young couples or older couples looking to downsize.
I'll try to draw the floor plan so you have an idea of the spatial relationships

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• evamdesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think my biggest issue is all the different colors of wood. We have strand woven bamboo floors, pine ceiling and beech cabinets as well as black brown ikea coffee and end tables as well as a cappuccino brown dining table.
  • lkg1984
    10 years ago
    For cohesion, have you considered adding the same handles/pulls to the wooden cabinets?
  • mariaed
    10 years ago
    Love love love the red.

But I think for resale value I might repaint (but please take into account I have never had to sell a house). In part (and maybe just the photos) the room seems dark. But the idea Carolyn made above to paint it white above cabinets might actually be sufficient, it would also address my next comment.

I find the up and down "visual line" create by the top of the cabinets unpleasant. Were the walls paler shade it might be less noticeable. Can the middle glass cabinet be moved down the wall to align with rest? I can't tell what the silver thing on the wall is below that cabinet so not sure...

Good luck with the sale!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    The red may be just the reason someone buys the house. They would never have thought to do it themselves but they love it!
  • evamdesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Carolyn and mariaed, I love the red too. I originally wanted red cabinets but decided to paint the walls instead as its a bit less permanent. Carolyn our ceiling is also painted red, so I'm unsure about painting the area white above the cabinets. But I would have never thought of it, and I can see it helping. I'm just not sure how to do it. Or perhaps we could add a second short cabinet above each of the cabinets beside the corner cabinet to fill the space to the ceiling?
    1kg1984 I specially chose those cabinet doors (they have an integrated handle) so we didn't need pulls as its a high traffic area. But otherwise I would absolutely
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I hadn't noticed the red ceiling. You could leave the wall above the cabs white and just add trim, not little cabs above. Or paint the ceiling white along with the space above the cabs.
  • Susan Kingston
    10 years ago
    As a buyer, the red would turn me off, especially if I thought I had to paint the ceiling as well. Agree with Carolyn that painting white above and trimming off the tall cabinet would ease the visual up and down at the tops of the cabinets, also a a buyer, if the cabinets in the dining area are permanently installed (i.e. bolted to wall), it would bother me they are a different color wood. I'd color match to the kitchen cabinets and patent them white. You'll still have that pop of red from the hall cabinets.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would not paint the beech cabinets. We frequently mix painted and stained cabinets in the same room.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    I would leave red backsplash but paint ceiling and above cabinets white.
    For the wood cabinets, I would add matching hardware and stage it as a coffee station and/or bar.
  • evamdesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I am going to keep the other cabinets in their natural beech color as that was my instinct as well. I will see about painting above the cabinets. Perhaps next weekend, I have a wedding to go to out of town. I am also playing with the idea of installing a layer of cabinets above the current ones to get things flush to the ceiling. Would that make things look too crowded? I'll post pictures once I've done some work on this
Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living