Kitchen triangle
ktmguy84
So, I need to make a decision pretty soon on my kitchen.
Its a large layout and I am concerned about the working triangle.
On the plan, I am at 24.5' total run which isnt bad. 12' from fridge to sink, 7' from fridge to range, and 5.5' from sink to range. All center to center.

My kitchen designers though it would look funky having 30" cabinet to the left of the stove and 18" to the right, non symmetrical. If i center the stove on that wall in between the windows, I cant put my dishwasher to the right of the sink. On the left, is in the corner and thats no good. So I would have to move the sink.

They suggested the sink on back wall in the middle or right window. Awesome view, but its 15.5 from sink to ref, 9.5 from sink to range and 7.5 from sink to ref to range totaling 32.5'. View is still good in the original location. Looks at side yard. Proposed location looks out to the back yard. Six of one really. Back window, centered would be sweet though.

Seems like a long haul. I am torn.

Heres what I thought.

Move the range down farther from the sink and leave that sink where it is in original layout. I can eliminate overhead cabinets to the right of the stove, and add them to the left in between the sink and stove.

Thise woukd give me a sink, all uppers, and then the stove, with windows on each side.

Also, where the "x" is, to the right of the ref, that is now all counter. It is drawn as a duct chase which I dont need. We are moving the fridge left to gain 15" in between ref and the counter for a laze susan. Counter wraps around.

Ill have around 6' +/- of counter to the right of the stove with the extended counter even if i move it 12" or 18" to the right. It would solve the non symmetrical cabinets, which there arent many. I went with all lowers. There will be uppers in the right corner.

Island is just over 8'. I am going to have 4' all the way around in between.

Thoughts on the distance of the sink? I had this all figured out but then started worrying about the distance. I need to make a decision asap.

ktmguy84
Also, not so sure about the sink in the island. Kind of leaning away from that.
August 21, 2013 at 7:19PM   
Cindy Gaul
There are pros and cons! It is nice to have an extra sink for prep and/or cleaning up!
August 21, 2013 at 7:29PM   
ktmguy84
Not to confuse, I am referring to relocating the one sink, not adding a second. I am not sure I want to add a small sink. I don't have an endless budget. I was even thinking of doing the island later. I could do the far wall for the big sink and a small prep sink in the island at the end near the ref, but I think I would prefer one sink. The distance is something I would have to get used to...
August 21, 2013 at 7:34PM   
ktmguy84
I could also keep the sink on the back wall, center the stove on the wall in between the windows where it is, and add a bar sink in front of the single window to the right of that later on down the road. I am definitely not doing it now, but it seems to be a good spot. I will have to ask my plumber to give me a price to add that. I would just provision that cabinet for it.

Any other thoughts?
August 21, 2013 at 7:43PM   
jpp221
I would centre the stove on the wall, and centre the sink under the windows, and otherwise change nothing else. If budget is an issue (you mentioned deferring the island for a while).0, ikea has some very sturdy, good quality islands at low cost that will easily give you a good 5 to 10 years or more of use.

I would NOT move the sink to the other wall, a yo are contemplating--just too far when you cook. And I see from the sketch that you are toying with nudging the fridge over. Not sure why (what problem are you trying to solve), but I wouldn't.
August 21, 2013 at 7:56PM   
jpp221
PS I would consider shortening the mud room bench (unless you are having a hockey team over, that's a lot of bench), and putting in some closets.
August 21, 2013 at 8:00PM   
kitchen triangle vs. island?
what if my island is in the way of my triangle? how...
Kitchen Triangle Question
We have a U-shaped kitchen that we are renovating....
Kitchen triangle legs dimensions
"No leg of the triangle should be less than 4 feet...
Kitchen Triangle/No Window over Sink Possible
OK, I know this is an epistle: I have a 15' x 15' kitchen...
need help with kitchen triangle design
Don't know what size of window or kitchen island yes...
Please help with window treatment
I started sewing these curtains but I hate the fabric...
Need help with kitchen wall tiles
We are building our house and hence have no photos...
Need help with my Kitchen layout
Hi all. My husband and I just recently bought our first...
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...