Is this what you mean decorating in three
marybraue
I really don't know what else to do I am getting a Fireplace screen and tools.
AthenasBy Tanya
You could definitely find some kind of paint or finishing to re
Vamp the brick to a warmer or more modern color!!
August 22, 2013 at 4:42am   
msubreeze
Odd numbers are supposed to be pleasing to the eye. I also feel that it helps to keep things grouped in pretty close relationship - overlapping a little. First, decide what is the most important item. Is it the picture? Maybe get a larger frame that carries more weight. Move thing around until it looks pleasing to you! Don't worry about 3 - 5 may be more pleasing. Sometimes a little more greenery helps connect things. On a fireplace, symmetry may be pleasing (matching candles at each side). When you are tired of symmetry, you can put the candle next to eachother and move things around. I think a mantle is a good place to change with the seasons - add things you think of as seasonal - holidays (Christmas, Easter, Independence Day) or Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. Make it fun! If mine doesn't look right to me I keep adding things. The one on my mantle now isn't my favorite, but it shows you don't need to spread things all the way across, you just need weight and theme - I consider this a garden theme.
August 22, 2013 at 4:46am   
msubreeze
I'm not crazy about the vase color next to the plant, but try this: Move the vase and pic a little to the left (just like now, but centered) and put the plant between them so it actually covers part of the vase bottom and also touches the pic. Think of things as people at a party. Do they sit along the wall ignoring each other or is it more pleasing that they group together and even touch?
August 22, 2013 at 4:55am   
msubreeze
I swear - one last thing! If something seems to short, don't hesitate to raise it on a box, a set of books, and you can buy plexiglass stands, picture easels, and boxes at craft stores, too.
August 22, 2013 at 4:57am   
marybraue
This is how I changed it . I will look into a better frame. Some on suggested a mirror. And thick candle sticks . I am getting a screen and tool it is a wood burning . What can I do to the brick.? It does not look bad in person. It does not look good in photos
August 23, 2013 at 6:18pm   
Pure Home
Great job! With the height of your mantle, a larger scale framed picture would make a gorgeous statement!
August 23, 2013 at 8:29pm   
LB Interiors
This is a duplicate posting. Please close one. It's too confusing for us to help you and also for you to follow.
August 23, 2013 at 8:44pm   
Backsplash proportions need help
I am trying to figure out how to proportion our backsplash....
Living room ideas!
Hi all! Here's our living room. I would love ideas...
Flooring experts - black glue on floorboards under carpet
I want to remove the old carpet throughout the house...
Need help with curb appeal with side entrance
Need help and/or ideas for improving curb appeal and...
cupped hardwood floors
We remodeled our house 3 years ago. We had 3" white...