Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dferber

Exposed steel beams performance in winter? Transfer cold inside?

dferber
10 years ago
The steel beams are great but in Ontario how do they perform? When it freezes how to keep the frost from transferring to the inside?
Also how to finish the beams to keep them looking good in this wet/cold climate. I live in Milwaukee WI and love this look but builders have told me it's not practical in our climate which the same as Toronto
My Houzz: Midcentury Modern Style Transforms a Vineyard Bungalow · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    BLDG Workshop Inc.
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure I understand the question, are you building a home similar to this in Ontario (in which case, please call us!), or are you simply making a reference to the climate here? Whatever the case, steel functions wonderfully. One needs to take care to detail the steel properly as it relates to the other materials, but there is no reason you can't use it.
  • Tamara Woolgar
    10 years ago
    Hi there, I'm a little confused as well. We don't have any exposed steel beams on the house. There is a wood encased post on the 2nd level underneath the patio, and a wood encased beam running perpendicular to that, but no exposed steel. Hope that helps, and good luck with your home! :)
  • PRO
    BLDG Workshop Inc.
    9 years ago
    Hi, please feel free to connect with us at 416.877.4741 or nathan@bldgworkshop.ca Cheers! Nathan
  • rileyspal
    9 years ago
    Wondering where we can veranda railing as shown? We live in Guelph ON.
  • Tamara Woolgar
    9 years ago
    Hi there, our 2nd floor patio railing was arranged through Penner Home Hardware in Virgil. I would imagine that your local Home Hardware would have the same suppliers. Hope that helps!
  • doughollieemma
    9 years ago
    The house displayed above, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a floor plan layout for it?
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz