What am I going to do with this huge wall??
Erin Ralph
No fireplace, no cabinets. We are on a budget!
Is this part of the kitchen or an eating area?
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 9:21AM
Angelina Vick
What room is it?
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 9:25AM
carolins
Ha, yes, it would be good to know where this wall is located in your home.
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 9:26AM
Erin Ralph
This is the living room. The picture is taken from the kitchen (which is open to the living room.
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 9:28AM
carolins
Will the TV be going on that wall?
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 9:34AM
carolins
So... while you're still in the building stage, would it be a good idea to put a beam in there to break up the height?
2 Likes   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 9:55AM
You could paint it an accent color…a good wall on which to do a different color. Then position your sofa and get some great, inexpensive stretched canvas paintings and hang at eye height. Before you electrician does the wiring, have him put a ceiling fixture, not centered in the room, but closer to that wall which will have the sofa underneath. Then a nice large chandy will fill in that top expanse nicely and will look great from the kitchen viewpoint.

2 Likes   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 10:14AM
Erin Ralph
I though about the beam (idea from Carolins), but could not picture. Looks fantastic! The TV will not be on the wall yet, but I would like to have the TV visible from the kitchen. I love the sofa, lighting & pictures as well (thank you Judianna20), but the TV would not be visible from the kitchen.
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 10:24AM
Erin Ralph
I could however, have the beam across, TV in the middle (on a stand) and two canvas pictures on either side at eye level. HHMMM. Lighting???
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 10:27AM
Gesang Incorporated
Where the beam is being suggested a good crown molding would do (Although I do like Judianna20's idea). But if your style is more traditional (than seen in Judianna20's pic), contrasting molding across a high expansive wall brings a psychological sense of coziness by "lowering" the ceiling without actually lowering it. Hard to explain, I know. The crown molding can actually form a shelf where decorative items can be displayed. And, since you are on a budget, the crown molding is something you can have a carpenter do without going to great expense (or your could even do it yourself if you are skilled that way). Here is an example pic. (you may have click on it to see it in full)

If you do a shelf with molding, you may want to ask the electrician to provide an outlet up there for some subdued lighting.
0 Likes   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 10:42AM
Erin Ralph
That looks great! Thanks for the picture. I see exactly what your saying about creating a lowered ceiling effect. My husband is very handy, therefore I will bring the crown molding to his attention. Thanks to everyone! Soooo much help!
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 10:48AM
carolins
Erin, I just looked at your ideabooks to get a sense of your style. And I saw the pics of your home. Wow! What a fantastic plot of land. Very nice house too.

If you're anywhere near an Ikea, take a look at their TV/storage wall options. They have a new catalogue out that you can download or browse online. Lots of ideas in there that may give you inspiration too.
2 Likes   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 10:58AM
Erin Ralph
Thank you so much! Very nice compliment! I will check out Ikea right now!
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 11:00AM
No beam. Please don't break up that big, beautiful wall. And you don't need to decorate to the top. If the TV goes on that wall, an Ikea system would be a very affordable solution for now. They have a bazillion configurations. This one is $528.97:
1 Like   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 11:18AM
Erin Ralph
I am searching through the Ikea catalogue now. We don't have one in Virginia Beach, but definitely worth ordering a catalogue! Ha! I am glad to see that someone said it was beautiful though!! Thanks!
3 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 11:22AM
Your closest Ikea is in Woodbridge, 6 hrs. away. If you decide it's worth the trip, make a list. Trust me; you will find a thousand little things you have to have like the cushiest bathmat ever, and those kitchen brushes with suction cups on the ends, and the dog butt wall hooks... Oh my, it may be time for me to go. Fortunately, it's only two hours for me.
2 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 3:42PM
Fred S
We often move the upper section of wall back over the ceiling joists in the other area 18".
0 Likes   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 4:22PM
Flagship Construction Company
Build a 24 " wide sofit at top plate level. This will lend it self to decorating and lighting accents. Inaddition if dec. painting that volume wall is to much the sofit will help
1 Like   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 4:34PM
jmcgregz
This is currently what's in my living room. A very large painting above a fireplace.
1 Like   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 5:24PM
Western Design International
What is the overall style of the home, what kind of finishes?
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 6:12PM
Western Design International
you can add definition to the wall with the look of built-in cabinets and specialized up and down accent lighting. Here is a simple entertainment wall setup (on-site built) that is mostly sheetrock build outs with some basic cabinet units below the TV and thick shelves. Simple.
This is a very quick and dirty sketch.
0 Likes   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 7:52PM
Western Design International
from the side
0 Likes   Thanked by Erin Ralph    August 22, 2013 at 7:54PM
Light In Art
You could put a big fire stone, that would look artsy as well as bring a lot of light to the room. We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 2:47PM
Fred S
There ya go, recess the upper part of the wall, put stained glass out flush with the wall, and back light it in the cavity made by recessing the wall.
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 5:00PM
debra752
I would put an accent piece at the top like a barn star and then make a family tree wall out of it with painted branches and pics along them !
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 5:30PM
Help on Renovating Bathroom
Want to renovate our bathroom any suggestions?
I need help with my kitchen!
Hello. I am a new homeowner and need help with ideas...
need help for living room in my apartment
8 meters length 4 meters width with a large window...
Bathroom Dilemma
Hello! I am seeking help with a bathroom design. We...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...