The right Shade Of Grey
Karyn Jolink
August 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to pick a shade of grey for the exterior of our cottage with so many shades to choose I am leaning towards Benjamin Moores Chelsea Grey HC-168 with Chantilly Lace for the trim and would love to paint my doors a turquoise I am sure that I want a warm shade of grey and nothing to light as I find the cottages in the area painted lighter shades look washed out and blah I have searched this site for some photos of exteriors using this shade no such luck if anyone has had experience with this grey or photos I would love some feed back or suggestions with photos of other Benjamin Moore grey shades that might work our lot has dappled shade with mostly beautiful white birch, hostas, and one day we hope some lovely green grass !
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
Hello Karyn, I saw your post and really like your idea about painting your cottage a warm gray color. The best way to determine which color to paint your cottage would be to buy some test-size paint in one or more shades and paint it onto the house in a patch perhaps 12" x12" or 24" x24" - or whatever size it takes for you to see how it looks at different times of the day and whether you like the color. The differences in gray colors can be very subtle. They can look gray on the paint chip (sample) but on the house they can look more brown, green, purple, etc. depending on the colors in the mix. I like the warm gray you have chosen, but I also can envision a darker shade of gray on your cottage because colors do fade over time. I posted a few examples of different grays from the Houzz site. These are not necessarily your specific color or Benjamin Moore colors, rather, just a few colors for you to consider. If you want to know the specific colors, in some cases, you might find it posted in the comments if someone else has asked about it, or you could ask the person who originally posted the photos and see if he or she can give you the paint colors.
For the Salem Renovation, from its page, the main field color is Copley Gray HC-104 by Benjamin Moore. The trim is Elephant Tusk OC-8, also by Benjamin Moore.
The Custom Craftsman is James Hardie's Iron Gray siding.
Walker Bungalow
Atlanta Cape
Salem Avenue Renovation
Sandywoods Farm
Custom Craftsman Home Exterior
August 23, 2013 at 8:59PM     
PRO
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Karyn....BN Chelsea Gray is a great color for the body, and look at BM White Dove for trim. The front
door BM Caribbean Teal.
August 26, 2013 at 10:25PM     
Karyn Jolink
Thank You all for your welcome advise I went ahead with the chelsea gray and on the weekend painted our little back yard shed We need to repair a few things on the cottage the sun room which is that white part that looks just stuck on we want to board n batten it and paint the entire body grey also i am looking for the perfect shat of turquoise for the doors I will look for the Caribbean Teal
August 27, 2013 at 6:14PM     
Karyn Jolink
before picture I feel once we are done renovating and can get into the yard and landscaping more the cottage and shed will look very nice
August 27, 2013 at 6:24PM   
PRO
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Karyn......Looks great!!!
August 27, 2013 at 9:21PM