Need help with woodwork!
Katherine G.R.
I just bought a 1924 arts and crafts home and it has a LOT of woodwork. I love that about it, but I'm a little stuck with how to incorporate the wood in with the rest of my colors. Mainly, I think the wood is too light, and it'd be easier to decorate around it if it were way dark (like as dark as possible). I think the room gets enough light, and restaining it would make it easier to use more colors. I can do this project myself, but I wanted to get some more opinions on it. I definitely don't want to paint it and would like to make decisions that stay true to its historical character. Is it worth restaining all this woodwork? Also, the mirror is there temporarily. The woodwork is in good shape. Also its wayyyyy too shiny. I would like to have a satin finish if I restain it.

Another thing... is it possible that painting the room would accomplish something better? I do hate this shade of tan and would like to change it, so maybe I should paint first and see how it looks before changing the woodwork?
RosemaryR
I'd paint first, easiest and best choice for now. Redoing all the wood of going to be expensive or very time consuming. If your furniture posted in picture, pick color from fabric, poss. a sage green on the light side of sage. Lovely home. You will tons of advice, so have fun.
August 22, 2013 at 12:29PM     
need help on woodwork colour
not sure if i should make my doors and architraves...
need help to paint or keep stain on woodwork
My fireplace bricks and book cabinets-molding are walnut-...
Need help with decision of painted or stained woodwork/doors
We have solid oak flooring - basically a gunstock color....
Need help deciding to paint woodwork or leave it original.\?
I have a 1950's home with lots of original woodwork...
Need help choosing cabinet color for room with dark woodwork
My home has dark woodwork and a small kitchen. We...
Rug ok?
Does this rug look too small? Wrong color? Too much...
Accent Table Decor
Any inspiring pictures or ideas you can provide of...
Curtain Color Suggestions for new family room
I'd like to get feedback on curtain color for our nearly-completed...
Ideas to modernize dining room set? Please ???
I inherited this set from my parents and hate it. ...
Privacy solution
Hello design gurus, My design dilemma is to do with...