Need help with woodwork!
Katherine G.R.
August 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought a 1924 arts and crafts home and it has a LOT of woodwork. I love that about it, but I'm a little stuck with how to incorporate the wood in with the rest of my colors. Mainly, I think the wood is too light, and it'd be easier to decorate around it if it were way dark (like as dark as possible). I think the room gets enough light, and restaining it would make it easier to use more colors. I can do this project myself, but I wanted to get some more opinions on it. I definitely don't want to paint it and would like to make decisions that stay true to its historical character. Is it worth restaining all this woodwork? Also, the mirror is there temporarily. The woodwork is in good shape. Also its wayyyyy too shiny. I would like to have a satin finish if I restain it.

Another thing... is it possible that painting the room would accomplish something better? I do hate this shade of tan and would like to change it, so maybe I should paint first and see how it looks before changing the woodwork?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
RosemaryR
I'd paint first, easiest and best choice for now. Redoing all the wood of going to be expensive or very time consuming. If your furniture posted in picture, pick color from fabric, poss. a sage green on the light side of sage. Lovely home. You will tons of advice, so have fun.
August 22, 2013 at 12:29PM