Need help with updating kitchen
rmfinn
Recently moved in to new home and want to update the kitchen. Planning to paint cupboards and replace counter-tops. The tile flooring and backsplash will remain. I am leaning toward a white/off-white color for cupboards and quartz counter-top (back and forth with light vs. dark quartz). Any suggestions would be welcomed. Appliances are stainless steel and rest of the home is oak hardwood with brown/black (dark colors) furniture. I am more of a brown/black/taupe person so would prefer neutrals...
studio10001
With pale cabs, a darker countertop will provide better balance and definition.
I would suggest, with this neutral palette, that you look for a more sharply defined print on the stools and in accent rug/accessories.
August 23, 2013 at 11:35AM      Thanked by rmfinn
hazeldazel
The cupboards don't seem that bad, but if you have the money to update them - cool. What is that weird space in the corner? Like there used to be something there so they only did a top cabinet. Perhaps put a pull-out pantry style cabinet that's the full length there? Definitely change the countertop, it would make everything look so much more updated. If you're changing the cabinets I would consider removing the peninsula it really looks so choked off, but yet you can't move it out more due to the slider. In fact, it looks like you can't get by if the fridge door is open? It would lessen the seating area in the kitchen though so it's a tricky decision for sure. Post pics when you finish.
August 23, 2013 at 11:53AM      Thanked by rmfinn
laurav507
I would lose that corner hanging cabinet if you are looking to modernize. also dont chop corners off peninsula when you get new countertop (looks Like a dated idea). No one ever sat at ours so we ditched it and put in an island. If no one sits at yours consider removing it and gain room for traffic flow and kitchen table. If you are going to paint cupboards lighter I would go for a darker counter to balance with the darker floor. Quartz, Silestone, Soapstone or even a HD laminate if you are on a budget. And there's always a ton of granite options. Good luck. Will be a great update.
August 23, 2013 at 12:17PM      Thanked by rmfinn
Amy Stanley
I actually like your cabinets, the tile is nice and I feel like a new counter-top could change the entire look without painting. Perhaps you could have some corner shelves made to fit under that cabinet so it isn't hanging by itself. This Silestone color would look great in your kitchen as it sets:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.marblecityca.com/data/stone_images/modified/slab/1331243789/487.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.marblecityca.com/stones/quasar&h=312&w=395&sz=44&tbnid=RgCS6UTzbin_MM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=124&zoom=1&usg=__FwzaSKOjNCtzaW8nFwk_7tW4DRg=&docid=pHwHTovpsdWYDM&sa=X&ei=nbcXUuWGE5Os4APl0YHgBg&ved=0CDYQ9QEwAw&dur=390
August 23, 2013 at 12:32PM        Thanked by rmfinn
rmfinn
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will be buying some sort of cabinet for under the "odd hanging" cupboard to balance that out. They had a water cooler there but we don't need one as our fridge dispenses water. Changing the peninsula to an island is a great idea, but we can't on our budget. I have been looking at the Q Quartz "Rushmore" sample for the counter and white/off white for cabinets. My painter wants me to pick the granite and have it installed before we tackle the paint color as he can do up some templates. I am struggling with this process as I thought having the cabinets painted first would be easier.
August 24, 2013 at 7:34AM     
studio10001
You have a smart painter.
August 24, 2013 at 8:43AM   
ems2409
Do you have a Lowes? They have quartz by Allen and Roth, color nutmeg that might balance nice with your floor. It's a tan background with specks of white and brown in it.
August 24, 2013 at 8:58AM   
HI -- Congrats on your "new to you" house ! Looks like a late 80' early 90's kitchen --- great potential here. The end cabinet was most likely a custom cabinet made to be over the pre -owners accent table or something. You could remove that cabinet and lower it to the floor , then add a nice glass front cabinet above . If you are going to paint make sure you do a good prep , and maybe send out the doors for a pro sprayed finish , then paint the rest yourself. A professional sprayed finish will last a lot longer and have a better over all look. If you are changing the hardware and the new handles have a different screw set , then fill the holes before you paint . So this involves picking out the hardware first of course . Having the counter top match the cabinet color will give a nice tailored look . Or match close to the back splash . A good white is "Cloud White " by Benjamin Moore . I will get back to you about a dark color that you might like -maybe for the just the lowers if you like that look -- Pratt & Lambert paint -- Clove Dust -2267 --- Tobacco - 2248 ---- Stonehenge - 2260
August 24, 2013 at 9:21AM   
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
Need help updating small condo kitchen
Can anyone suggest who can help me with picking out...
Need help with galley kitchen update!
Hey everyone! We bought a house about a year and...
Need help with kitchen update
Painting kitchen cabinets white... Any suggestions...
Bedroom / Bath colors?
We painted our bedroom in beautiful gray tones and...
Help me pick the best soaking tub.
The tub can be freestanding or built-in. I want a tub...
Ideas to modernize dining room set? Please ???
I inherited this set from my parents and hate it. ...
Making room for curtains? What are rules for window treatments?
I hate how my builder put my windows right next to...
Where to put microwave?
Originally it will be where in the first pic. Now...