What would you do with this vanity top?
aropp87
This is our future bathroom. The paneling has to stay. The walls will be SW dockside blue, panelling, trim, vanity will be SW Dover white. Eventually the flooring will be replaced and obviously mirrors/lightening. Do you think I would be able to rip the backsplash off? Will it look funny where the panelling just stops? Also the linen cupboard doors, would you paint those Dover white, or paint them the wall color dockside? Thanks for your help!
mpoulsom
there's probably just sheetrock underneath the backsplash...so I would def take that off. Maybe just get a mirror that is big enough to start on the far left of the vanity top and go all the way across with it. Then it would be butted up against the wood paneling.
I would also remove the right door on the wall in the sink area.

If you get a large mirror to cover that whole area above the vanity, you can get a glass and mirror person to cut out any holes for electrical if you want to keep the 2 sconces/ and or electrical outlet. If not, the "future" sconces, a new light fixture could be mounted above large mirror.
August 23, 2013 at 3:11PM   
aropp87
Oh that is a great idea, I can move the lights to above a mirror. Thank you!
August 23, 2013 at 3:12PM     
mpoulsom
see how this mirror is in this bathroom?....you could do the same thing, just lower it. And if you don't want the mirror that low, you may could run a shallow white shelf right underneath a mounted mirror and put accessories on it. Just some ideas.
August 23, 2013 at 3:19PM   
mpoulsom
Another idea is to mount floating shelves above your toilet that extend flush with the right side of the paneling. It would give the illusion of a finished separate section from the vanity area.
August 23, 2013 at 3:25PM   
aropp87
Also a great idea, that would be a bit easier since we wouldn't have to move the lights then. Thank you!
August 23, 2013 at 3:27PM   
mpoulsom
floating shelves above toilet example........... so many options! lol

and they also make some pretty snazzy cabinets that fit above toilets now! :)
August 23, 2013 at 3:28PM   
mpoulsom
well don't worry about moving the lights...that is an easy fix. Do what you want since you are replacing them anyway at some point. Very easy to move the electrical in this case.

you could also just tile the backsplash area with a white tile that matches your dover paint in that area as well, where the old formica backsplash is now.
August 23, 2013 at 3:30PM   
mpoulsom
]

you could also just tile that whole vanity area from the top of the vanity to the ceiling which looks beautiful! I actually did this in my friend's bathroom and it turned out great! changed the whole feel of the bathroom.
August 23, 2013 at 3:48PM   
mpoulsom
here's the tile wall I did in her bathroom with a fixture above it and new mirror.
August 23, 2013 at 4:05PM     
Adrianne
If it's 1950's its probably not sheet rock but buffalo board.. Not a big deal but just know your going to tear off the glued on laminate and say "huh?" You might have to do some light spackling because the glue got into the plaster. If it is really bad you can tile that up after tearing the "full height" splash.
August 23, 2013 at 4:36PM   
indianpatti
I would not paint the linen cab doors a different color than the wall .. just want them to fade, not stand out.
August 23, 2013 at 4:40PM   
Maguire
I agree with mpoulson, you could add a mirror in the entire square above the sink. Purchase molding at the hardware store to frame it and make a sort of backsplash. Remove all the cabinet doors, putty the holes from the hinges, paint the inside of the cabinet your white and leave them uncovered.
August 23, 2013 at 5:16PM   
apple_pie_order
You'll need GFCI outlets, too. Get a set of four, not two, since you have to move them anyway. Outlets on each side of the sink would be best.

The woodwork should be painted in a satin or gloss enamel, not flat paint, in whatever color you choose. That will help you clean the finger prints off easily. A good couple of coats on the inside base shelf or floor in the vanity will pay off.

Other ideas above are excellent.
August 23, 2013 at 6:34PM   
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Dark creepy entrance way to basement apartment
We are moving into a basement apartment with a very...
Need help in designing the frontyard of my renovated home
I renovated my house in Germany extensively inside...
need help with wall color
My kitchen wall needs color. The area I prep and cook...
Is there a easy way to cover Pecky Cedar?
My mother's home has Pecky Cedar inside and out. Is...