Front of house - garage/balcony?
koganroachAugust 23, 2013
Hi! We just bought this house. Front looks run down and dated. Main issue, besides being ugly, is balcony above the garage. It is off my daughter's bedroom - but walls of balcony too low to allow her out there! Balcony is very large. I like modern/earthy feel. Modern horizontal garage? How do I raise height of balcony wall? Add a arbor? Would love your thoughts!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yoboseiyo
well, for the balcony, if you drill into the masonary to secure posts, you could use panels like these both for aesthetics and to keep her from falling through :: http://acuriolattice.com/

but you have to make sure those posts are secured.

i would also look into adding an arbor over the garage door, with some flowering vines from big pots on each side to bring some dimension and color.

can you trim/prune the plantlife in the front yard? right now the focus is on the garage door, and the focus really should be on the front door. and maybe get the garage door painted lighter? the tone of the gate would be nice.

you want people to notice YOU before they care about your CAR, so the front door (you and your family) should be the focus, not the garage (your car).
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 6:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
DMH DESIGN
I agree with yoboseiyo, in terms of how to solve the guardrail issue. Stylistically, I would recommend powder coated steel railing, Likely, it will be more costly than acurio lattlce, because it will likely have to be custom fabricated. Hire an architect to make certain that any and all life safety issues, attachment details, code and home owner's assn, reqs, as necessary, are fully addressed, prior to installation. This way, your solution meets with all reqs, and if and when you sell in the future, there are no disclosure issues. Happy Houzzing.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 10:08AM