husband likes oak cabinets
ess536
The house we just bought has a large kitchen (not complaining) with many oak cabinets (42") and an island,

The countertops are a dull green formica and need to be replaced ASAP.,, as does the sink, etc

While I want to repaint the cabinets, hubby is pretty firm that that they are ok as is.

I like a country look.. can anyone suggest types and colors of countertops that would go with the oak..not much natural light in the kitchen so want a light look.

Thanks....
Do you have any photos showing the oak cabinets ?
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 8:38AM
ess536
Here it is,, thanks in advance
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 8:48AM
ess536
We are in the process of replacing black appliances with stainless.. have new refrig and dishwasher
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 8:48AM
Jenny Youngblood
Oh I feel your pain on oak- that is such a heavily grained wood its distracting. but if you must go with it, you have two options. Nice granite countertops, simple backsplash, or solid color or flecked quartz more "country" backsplash with some possible color in it. I would do either a cream granite with gold in it to compliment the cabinets- in which there are several options- Venezia Galliano, Venetian cream, Colonial cream- in general search cream and gold granite here on Houzz and you can find some lovely options. With these I would stay in the "rustic" form of backsplash like tumbled stone, maybe accented with some bronze or copper rim or tiles. If you want a more solid countertop- look at all the beautiful options on Cambria, Silestone and Cesearstone website then you could do a mixed stone backsplash to bring in some color- I recommend something in a harlequin pattern for a traditional country look -- the two options below would look great with oak
3 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 8:51AM
0825sam
I know you said you want a light look but I am going to throw a black counter top out there. I tend to feel it updates the oak cabinets a bit more. This one is soapstone (love) but you could do a solid darker color in a quartz.
With black or brushed nickel knobs and cup pulls I think it would lend itself to a country look. The kitchen actually doesn't look dark in the photos.

1 Like   August 24, 2013 at 8:55AM
ess536
Black is not my thing...
As for backsplash... how would a subway tile look?
I am of the "less is more" frame of mind....( despite the picts with the accessories)
Also need thoughts on new light fixture over table. Thanks in advance...
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 9:07AM
ess536
more recent photo
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 9:17AM
apple_pie_order
The space is lovely, especially with the window and hardwood floors. The oak is a nice warm color. A simple subway tile backsplash would go well with quartz, granite or laminate countertops. Bring home a lot of samples. I recommend changing the lights first so that you see the countertop colors in the new light, not the old light. Lightingdirect.com has a wide selection of light fixtures with an easy to use interface. What lighting is over the main part of the kitchen?

You can also buy a roll of white shelf paper to drape here and there to see what the changes would be with white countertops. Wrapping paper works, too. You can also print out the patterns on Formica's website.
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 9:28AM
Agreed the cabinets looks to be in great condition and style. Consider changing the countertop and wall color as an upgrade.
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 10:00AM
Capitol Group Kitchen and Bath Center
Before you purchase a stone counter top, you may want to think about new cabinets as well. Painting will never hold up and you could find yourself wanting new cabinets in the next couple years and find out the stone fabricator cannot guarantee removal without breaking the top.

I see a lot of square foot of tops so a quartz or granite top will be a major investment. I like the oak but never suggest a wood grain floor with wood grain cabinets.

If you love this home and plan on staying for many years, take the leap and start over with everything or just pull the cabinets and tops, replace with a painted cabinet and stone tops with an under-mount stainless sink, glass backsplash tile, and more lighting. it will be stunning!

I can tell from the picture that the sides of the cabinets are wood grain paper over particleboard so the insides of the cabinets are most likely more of a builder grade. Today's mid-priced cabinetry offers functional upgrades like solid wood drawers with dovetail joints, full extension glides and soft close doors and drawers. Roll out trays in base cabinets, butt door wall cabinets with no center style, sink bases with acrylic cores, modified depth options, and a lot more multi-storage options.

Good luck with your remodel.
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 10:56AM
ess536
Sadly, new cabinets are not in our budget. Our $$ will go into new countertops..which as you noted we have many square feet...thanks
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 5:11AM
Cream or Gray- VOTE now on a color!
Question on a rug color--- should I do the cream color...
Scale for Saarinen Tulip Dining Table
I want to use a tulip table as my dining table with...
Need help decorating my living room
I am trying to update LR. Every wall has a opening...
Kitchen table seeing for 79 inch Oval tulip dining table
Hi Want to order the 79 inch oval but can it find...