Black or SS or a mixture of blk/ss appliances?? Crunch time!
busybee1141
Help!! Have lovely, and not too busy, hickory cabinets.
Trying Hard to decide between ssteel (mixed with some black, of course) or solid black appliances. DW is to the left, but the stove, micro and fridge are 2 ft. apart. Any suggestions? I have also been consider an all black dw and all black fridge, with a ssteel AND black stove and micro. Thanks for any suggestions. Dining table and chairs not in pictures is maple top with black pedestal, black chairs with warmish upholstered seats. Close to the hutch tones.
Terracegallery
I do not think I would like solid black with your kitchen....
August 24, 2013 at 1:51PM        Thanked by busybee1141
kadodi
I had hickory cabinets very similar to yours with black appliances... I thought it looked really good; however, my countertop was gray corian with black accent strip. I also had black & white check/toile curtains.
August 24, 2013 at 1:59PM      Thanked by busybee1141
busybee1141
New dining room set.
August 24, 2013 at 2:00PM     
busybee1141
This is the new dining room set. I really like it! This picture changes up the wall color a bit, but it still gives a good idea of the set.
August 24, 2013 at 2:01PM   
jkflag
If you want new appliances, I would try white. It is the new stainless and would make the window trim and pantry (?) trim on the red walls just pop out. And, the photo looks like up I could use more light in the kitchen. I like the table. Good luck. If your appliances are just going to be trashed, you could paint them first to check out the white look....
August 24, 2013 at 2:45PM      Thanked by busybee1141
Ann
I always like stainless appliances. I loved the change when I went from white to stainless. I have cherry cabinets.
August 24, 2013 at 3:46PM      Thanked by busybee1141
Ann
My chairs are black too. I don't think you need to pull the black into the appliances, just stainless (not stainless/black combo).
August 24, 2013 at 3:48PM      Thanked by busybee1141
pruner
The new dining setting is heading to a more open and modern look so go stainless and match it with new hardware on the cabinets and perhaps lighting? It looks like you have recently changed the wall colour from neutral so there is less light in the room - have you considered removing the pelmet between the units on the left and changing some of the upper cabinet doors to white to tie in the pantry unit?
August 24, 2013 at 4:08PM      Thanked by busybee1141
busybee1141
The neutral picture is from 2008. The "red rock" paint color does darken the kitchen a bit but since I painted the trim around the bay window and above the sink, it doesn't appear as dark as when they were the stained wood. My hickory cabs are new from 2006 - all custom made of hickory with maple shelves by an Amish family not too far from my home. So, no, at this time, I would not consider painting them.
August 24, 2013 at 7:31PM   
busybee1141
Also, though I love the freshness of white - I am afraid it would be way too white. Just like I am afraid all black would be too much black. ho-hum! Anyone have solid back and/or stainless - do you love or hate? Neither is perfect for care. Surprisingly, my bisque is probably the better of the two to care for, but with the newer hutch and dining set, and almost-new cabinets, it seems that it is time for a change. Some salesman said to flip a coin! :)
August 24, 2013 at 7:41PM   
busybee1141
Thanks to all for your input! Appreciate your comments. busybee
August 24, 2013 at 8:06PM     
Ann
I love my stainless and maintenance has not been a problem, but my kids are grown and gone. Frigidaire makes a very easy to maintain stainless. The Frigidaire stainless is just as easy as white or black.
August 24, 2013 at 8:07PM      Thanked by busybee1141
krismark0
I did a mix of both. My dishwasher is also black with a stainless handle. I will be replacing the microwave with either stainless or black as well and adding stainless knobs to the cabinets. I'm sure all stainless or all black would have looked nice as well, but I wanted a mix.
August 24, 2013 at 8:17PM        Thanked by busybee1141
busybee1141
Nice, krismark0. Black Ice! Your tile floor sure does tie everything together! And your counters! I am saving that decision for last. And it will probably take awhile to decide. Granite or quartz for them more than likely. And something to tie in the wood tones, appliances and dining furniture. Right now I am leaning towards a mixture as well, but that could change in a blink of an eye! haha :) Thanks for your input.
August 24, 2013 at 9:00PM   
krismark0
I think I would have been happy with all stainless too, but I am just a "black" kind of person. My cabinets are Birch so they have a similar look to hickory. Countertops are Quartz. I still need to figure out a backsplash though. Don't want to compete with the floor too much, or be too matchy with it either.

I bookmarked this page...would love to see what you end up with!
August 24, 2013 at 9:21PM      Thanked by busybee1141
busybee1141
August 24, 2013 at 9:28PM   
unwantedadvice
I think black appliances would look the best but just remember the dust factor, so keep them wiped down often. Your kitchen cabinets look great!
August 24, 2013 at 9:32PM        Thanked by busybee1141
brendakusan
Either black or stainless. Your choice. Both work well with wood cabinets. I like black because I hate polishing stainless.
August 24, 2013 at 9:38PM      Thanked by busybee1141
wilmoodesigns
I think black would look the best. The darker against the lighter cabinets. Would definitely give it a wow factor as well as tying to your dinette set. As others have said black takes a bit of extra work to maintain but well worth it. Good Luck.
August 24, 2013 at 9:47PM        Thanked by busybee1141
Karin Madgwick
Stainless steel is timeless black will become dated very quickly.
August 24, 2013 at 9:50PM        Thanked by busybee1141
Ann
I agree with Karin. The comments in this discussion have been very surprising to me. In all the discussions I've participated in regarding appliance color (and that's been many discussions - it's a popular topic), there has been an OVERWHELMING percentage of stainless votes. I chose white appliances 8 years ago when our house was built and regretted that decision every day. I promised my husband I'd not change them for 5 years and at precisely 5 years, I replaced every one with stainless - it was a GREAT day! I love how much more "current" my kitchen feels. Stainless is wonderful with all woods (I happen to have cherry cabinets). Please give a good deal of thought to this decision. I'd hate to see you waste all that money because you ended up making a decision you could regret as I did.
August 25, 2013 at 8:39AM        Thanked by busybee1141
Ann
OK, this will be my last comment, I promise. Please, browse the Houzz kitchen photos for 30 minutes and find 10 kitchens you love. What color appliances are in them? If it isn't stainless in at least 8 of them, I'll be amazed.
August 25, 2013 at 8:43AM      Thanked by busybee1141
marysly
Black wouldn't be the way to go at all. You may think it will match but it will close in the space altogether.
Good luck
August 25, 2013 at 8:46AM      Thanked by busybee1141
indianpatti
I would get stainless ... black will not look nice.
August 25, 2013 at 8:48AM        Thanked by busybee1141
busybee1141
Wow, such a variety! Only thing I didn't "hear" was bisque! Believe me, at times I have been ready to go that same route - esp. since DH likes light colors. I have been tossing this around - get this - for more than two years!! But I have to keep thinking on it b/c my 20 plus year old DW and Fridge can't last forever! I hear they don't make them that good any more!! Designers who have come here over the past few years, for various reasons, have almost all said: Black! One said Bisque. The last gal, a friend of mine who just opened her own design studio, did it this way: white, ss, black. Huh? white? OK - talked it over and it came to this "white would probably me too stark, all black too heavy and dark, so stainless is the winner b/c it is in between too white or too black! Most stoves and micros have some black on them as well. My DH at times has said he didn't like black, then another time (like now), he doesn't like stainless. ANN, I have looked at pictures, a LOT of them, and I think they both look ok. And, yes, even with hickory cabs, the ss even looks good. Does it look better in pictures than it does in the showroom?
August 25, 2013 at 9:45AM   
busybee1141
I did find a Whirlpool slide-in range that I like. An electric smooth top, all black on top with control panel in front of the burners with SS and black, and all SS down below with a blackish glass. So a mixture, as most ss stoves are. I am pondering about the rest. The DW is off to the left. The other 3 are very close to each other - which is WHY all solid black concerns be the most. SO much black. So I could go all SS, with a few black accents, or I could go with a black DW and fridge, with mixture in the range and micro. I guess I will be starring at my room again and looking at even more pictures!! :) Well, thanks to all, again, for your input. Have a great day!
August 25, 2013 at 9:58AM   
Amy Stanley
My vote is for stainless, I was leery of getting this for my own new kitchen a couple years ago, I had bisque at my old house and did love them, white gets too dirty, black gets so dusty, if you choose your appliances carefully the maintenance is minimal and I think the steel will give you a pop of brightness- my dishwasher and fridge is all stainless, I have black on just my stove top and a small section of the matching micro-hood- hate it and wish daily they were solid stainless!
August 25, 2013 at 10:06AM        Thanked by busybee1141
lrb945
can't see stainless steel in your kitchen. black would be classy and stunning! stainless looks best with a contemporary steel-and-glass kitchen. sorry, folks; you have to stick with the feel of what is already there, unless you want a complete remodel.
August 25, 2013 at 10:17AM      Thanked by busybee1141
tkost83
Stainless steel is a medium "gray" color. If you put white appliances in your kitchen, your eye will immediately be drawn to the lightest parts of your room. It will travel from appliance to appliance, as opposed to the overall look and feel of the room. Plus stainless steel will be easier to incorporate into any future changes than starkness of white or the depth of black appliances.
August 25, 2013 at 2:14PM        Thanked by busybee1141
Amy Stanley
Stainless spans all kitchen styles and is timeless. It is not reserved for contemporary only.
August 25, 2013 at 2:19PM        Thanked by busybee1141
quercus2
Your kitchen has a lot of dark finishes, stainless would brighten that up a little. We're hearing a lot about how stainless is/will become a dated look, like busy marble countertops, glass tile backsplashes and (I predict) dark wood floors. But I'm not seeing this happening.
August 25, 2013 at 2:42PM        Thanked by busybee1141
Always stainless it's timeless. All should match, if you want a finished look.
August 25, 2013 at 2:48PM        Thanked by busybee1141
kadodi
I wrote the above comment about having black appliances with hickory cabinets. We had trouble with our dishwasher and fridge and was planning to sell our house so we replaced all the black appliances with stainless a year or so ago. It did NOT brighten or lighten the kitchen. The black appliances didn't get dusty and didn't show dirt. The stainless was a PAIN to keep clean. We have cats and had constant issue with paw prints on the dishwasher. My husband and I both preferred the black over the stainless -- at least in our kitchen. I have to also say that we had a wall color very similar to yours... berries & cream. We lightened it before putting our house on the market. Ours house was built in 1941 so the kitchen was not huge... no eat in area, we had a separate large dining room. The kitchen had 2 windows and the back door which was 1/2 glass. I didn't think the black was too dark at all. I've been searching my pc for pics but so far, no luck.
August 25, 2013 at 5:37PM        Thanked by busybee1141
busybee1141
OK - decision made! Stainless steel it is! And, yes, I will have to get use to it. I am not too crazy over the gray sides of my Kitchenaid frig, but I didn't want the black either. Maybe I will put a picture there! JK! I am considering new countertops, granite or quartz most likely, and perhaps the gray side of the frig will not bug me so much!! I am getting used to it a little - have had them 2 months or so. At this time, I am keeping the "red rock" wall color. This picture also shows my newer dining room set. I want to thank everyone for their input and for taking the time to comment!
November 25, 2013 at 8:53PM     
zendie
Stainless for sure. Black would NOT be good,
November 25, 2013 at 9:09PM      Thanked by busybee1141
unwantedadvice
@busybee, the new appliances look great. I had preferred black but the stainless is quite nice. Good choice and enjoy!
November 25, 2013 at 9:30PM        Thanked by busybee1141
Ann
Nice! Good choice!
November 26, 2013 at 7:08AM      Thanked by busybee1141
saratogaswizzlestick
Stainless was a great choice and so is your dining set. I love your cabinets, they are beautiful.
November 26, 2013 at 7:21AM      Thanked by busybee1141
busybee1141
Thanks, the cabinets are made of solid hickory and the shelves inside are maple. An Amish gentlemen and team south of me made them for me. Indiana! I met him at an Amish furniture show and first saw them in ash. His price was more than some made with particle board inside, but still so reasonable I knew I had to have him come out and give me a quote. Voila! and here they are!
November 26, 2013 at 9:14AM     
busybee1141
FYI - Also, the table has 2 leafs for it and opens and closes beautifully b/c of the "gears" inside. The table is 42" wide; if it had been a 60, I could have stored the leafs inside the table - so now they are stored elsewhere. So be it. Table and chairs: Palettes by Winesburg, Amish maker out of Ohio, purchased through a local furniture store. The table and chairs are maple; stained on top, black pedestal on the bottom. Because I wanted it that way, I had to spend more - but we do like them.
November 26, 2013 at 9:26AM   
Your Opinion
We know the picture is a bit dark, but what do you...
Need help to style this buffet
I don't like what I have on this buffet. Any suggestions? THis...
Yay or nay? Mirrored kitchen cabinets
Creating a disappearing strip of cabinets in your kitchen...
Which wall for pictures?
I just moved and I want to put this up, but I'm not...
Need help with paint colors for great room
The first two pics are the room as is. The faded denim...