Kitchen flooring dilemma--help!
kchap1
I have white oak hard wood floors in my living room and dining room. My kitchen has entryways into both these rooms, but is not totally open to these rooms. That is, the kitchen is a separate room. I am planning to use tile that looks like wood in the kitchen a shade or two darker than white oak. I'm going for a farmhouse look. Will this look too strange? I'm worried the transition between rooms will look odd. But I don't want to use hard wood because of durability concerns. Has anyone used tile like this while having hard woods in adjoining rooms? Thanks for any advice!
While I haven't done it with wood meeting tile that looks like wood, I think that the same principles apply. To do this, I would run a 3" to 6" border of wood tile in a darker color than either the real wood or the other wood tile, all around the kitchen to provide a separation of the two colors. I would also run the wood tile in a different direction than the real wood.
August 24, 2013 at 6:12pm   
kchap1
This is very helpful. Thank you! I guess another question I have is, do you have any suggestions for tile (other than tile that looks like wood) to use in a farmhouse-style kitchen. Slate? Terra cotta?
August 24, 2013 at 6:17pm   
I would continue with real wood unless you really have a lot of spills. Otherwise, the wood tile should work well for you.
August 24, 2013 at 6:22pm   
kchap1
Thanks so much for the advice!
August 24, 2013 at 6:23pm   
Ann
I also like tile in the kitchen so I don't need to worry about it, but I wouldn't choose "wood look". Do you have pictures of the kitchen? If you decide against "wood look" tile, please choose a big tile, like 20" squares.
August 24, 2013 at 6:58pm   
kchap1
I don't have photos. We're just starting to remodel. Why wouldn't you choose the wood tile look?
August 24, 2013 at 7:08pm   
Ann
I just like regular tile (porcelain not ceramic) better and it would pair very nicely with your existing hardwood without any "competition". It's a rather timeless look just like hardwood is. Big tiles would give you a current look. I wonder if wood look tiles might be a trend - just a thought. Also, wood look tiles might clash with your hardwood just as another hardwood might - not a problem with regular tile since it's a completely different element and look. I like the way regular tile and hardwood merge. I was wondering about the other elements in the kitchen (cabinets, counters, splash) so people could possibly make good tile suggestions.
August 24, 2013 at 7:16pm   
Lynne Mysliwiec
I have tile in the kitchen and there is an oak reducer strip to make the 1/4" transition (tile + underlayment + ditra meant that the tile floor is higher than the oak in living and dining rooms. If you use a threshold, or perpendicular strip of flooring of either type, you should be fine.
August 24, 2013 at 7:20pm   
kchap1
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I am just starting to make decisions for my Reno. I will have white cabinets and a black countertop (not sure of material yet). I'm going for a farmhouse/transitional/traditional look. So I like the idea of wood floors. But I have kids and pets and I don't think the wood floors will endure. So that is why I was looking at wood-looking tile.
August 24, 2013 at 7:33pm   
Ann
So, with your choices, a dark tile would be very nice if you decide to go with a traditional tile.
[houzz=Multi-Tone and Multi-Finish Kitchens]
[houzz=Madison]
[houzz=European Influence - Contemporary Style]
August 24, 2013 at 8:03pm   
kchap1
Thanks. This is very helpful. Much appreciated.
August 24, 2013 at 8:05pm   
Ann
Please let us know what you decide and post pictures. It's always fun to see the outcomes of discussions!
August 24, 2013 at 8:09pm   
My kitchen dilemma...Help me please...
We recently purchased a home but I really don't like...
Mirror Dilemma--Help!
I am mostly through a master bath renovation, and don't...
Paint Dilemma...HELP
HELP...Should I go with more of a cream color with...
Narrow Living Room Dilemma...HELP!
I want to put a sectional in my living room but I have...
Keeping Room Design Dilemma...Help Please!
I am stumped when it comes to my small keeping room...
Need Wall Lighting Suggestions for Kitchen
We have just moved into a new house and I am trying...
you can see my kitchen from the front door,
The exterior of the house is all siding and the floorplan...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...
A new appartment
Attach is my new apartment design i have made certain...
Need ideas for tile in shower
Redoing shower. Looking for white ceramic tile desughnsb...