Kitchen flooring dilemma--help!

kchap1August 24, 2013
I have white oak hard wood floors in my living room and dining room. My kitchen has entryways into both these rooms, but is not totally open to these rooms. That is, the kitchen is a separate room. I am planning to use tile that looks like wood in the kitchen a shade or two darker than white oak. I'm going for a farmhouse look. Will this look too strange? I'm worried the transition between rooms will look odd. But I don't want to use hard wood because of durability concerns. Has anyone used tile like this while having hard woods in adjoining rooms? Thanks for any advice!
While I haven't done it with wood meeting tile that looks like wood, I think that the same principles apply. To do this, I would run a 3" to 6" border of wood tile in a darker color than either the real wood or the other wood tile, all around the kitchen to provide a separation of the two colors. I would also run the wood tile in a different direction than the real wood.
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:12PM
kchap1
This is very helpful. Thank you! I guess another question I have is, do you have any suggestions for tile (other than tile that looks like wood) to use in a farmhouse-style kitchen. Slate? Terra cotta?
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:17PM
I would continue with real wood unless you really have a lot of spills. Otherwise, the wood tile should work well for you.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:22PM
kchap1
Thanks so much for the advice!
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:23PM
Ann
I also like tile in the kitchen so I don't need to worry about it, but I wouldn't choose "wood look". Do you have pictures of the kitchen? If you decide against "wood look" tile, please choose a big tile, like 20" squares.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:58PM
kchap1
I don't have photos. We're just starting to remodel. Why wouldn't you choose the wood tile look?
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 7:08PM
Ann
I just like regular tile (porcelain not ceramic) better and it would pair very nicely with your existing hardwood without any "competition". It's a rather timeless look just like hardwood is. Big tiles would give you a current look. I wonder if wood look tiles might be a trend - just a thought. Also, wood look tiles might clash with your hardwood just as another hardwood might - not a problem with regular tile since it's a completely different element and look. I like the way regular tile and hardwood merge. I was wondering about the other elements in the kitchen (cabinets, counters, splash) so people could possibly make good tile suggestions.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 7:16PM
Lynne Mysliwiec
I have tile in the kitchen and there is an oak reducer strip to make the 1/4" transition (tile + underlayment + ditra meant that the tile floor is higher than the oak in living and dining rooms. If you use a threshold, or perpendicular strip of flooring of either type, you should be fine.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 7:20PM
kchap1
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I am just starting to make decisions for my Reno. I will have white cabinets and a black countertop (not sure of material yet). I'm going for a farmhouse/transitional/traditional look. So I like the idea of wood floors. But I have kids and pets and I don't think the wood floors will endure. So that is why I was looking at wood-looking tile.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 7:33PM
Ann
So, with your choices, a dark tile would be very nice if you decide to go with a traditional tile.
Multi-Tone and Multi-Finish Kitchens · More Info
]
Madison · More Info
]
European Influence - Contemporary Style · More Info
]
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:03PM
kchap1
Thanks. This is very helpful. Much appreciated.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:05PM
Ann
Please let us know what you decide and post pictures. It's always fun to see the outcomes of discussions!
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:09PM
Kitchen dilemma~Help~
Help...my kitchen has a black granite floor, cherry...
bventi
Living room dilemma! Help me start!
I just recently moved into a new home. I need assistance...
mjsilvas85
Splashback and wall dilemma: Help!
Please suggest in keeping a modern look 1.a splashback...
rayess
FABRIC DILEMMA PLEASE HELP!
So, I am almost done with my FR but I need (want) curtains...
Kathy Barnes
Color Palette Dilemma! Please help!
I am trying to help my son and his soon-to-be fiancee...
bichonluver3
Need help designing decagon kitchen/dining room
We have a completely new decagon shaped room with each...
jbwnaw
Colour advice for Roman Shades for White French Doors.
I want to put Roman Blinds on the white french doors...
maccar88
Kitchen Help
Please help! Here is the angled bay in the kitchen....
valzie
What should I put here?
I need to furnish and decorate my 13x19 living room...
mspanama
Help with deciding on cabinet hardware pease!
My cabinets are espresso and I would love to use nickel...
dgrace