Wood tone baseboards, door frames, doors -do I paint?
pllw
Our 1970's ranch has all oak trim and doors. Would like to paint , but not sure how much . ( concerned about eventual resale) . Would painting only the trim in the bedrooms be okay ( they are all off a long hallway) and what about the bedroom and closet doors?
lindatpike
I have the same problem. Would really like to paint them white but the whole house has stained trim, baseboards, cabinets and doors. I love my house but hate the oak.
August 24, 2013 at 8:05pm   
brendakusan
Wood is not a religion. Paint. The house will look bigger, fresher, and lighter. Since house is not a century home with amazing trim - paint! Paint all trim and doors. Will affect resale value in a positive way as the house will look better!
August 24, 2013 at 8:21pm   
lindatpike
how difficult would it be? cost?
August 24, 2013 at 8:38pm   
JWinteriors
To paint the baseboards, door casings, closet and entry doors could cost about 5-600 per room. The wood needs to be primed , then painted 2 coats. You can select your rooms...the whole house doesnt have to follow suit. Some, paint the trim but leave the doors stained. Wall colors look so crisp and fresh with white trim. A perfect time to add white crown moulding as well.
August 24, 2013 at 8:46pm   
If you can do it yourself, it just takes time and paint is cheap. If you are fully employed, hire it out - a pro can mask and spray and use your garage as a spray booth for the doors . Definitely paint and study shades of white so you know what works with your color story - crisp white, off-white in several directions. High gloss for trim and doors is extremely durable.
August 24, 2013 at 9:16pm     
loves2read
just pay attention to the light in your rooms--
white is not always white and in some lights will show a pink tint or blue tint...can definitely mess with the overall look of the room...
We had our vacation house in FL repainted on inside before moving in and they used various beige/tan colors for walls but kept ceilings (only 8ft) white and trim white...used BM decorator white for trim...
Behr is supposed to have some very crisp/true whites as well...

I would say start in bathrooms since those rooms are usually self-contained and see how you like the white...
painting trim though will pretty much ensure you have to paint the walls just because they will loop shopworn with new trim color...
August 24, 2013 at 10:50pm   
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Suggestions for soft gray paint for tween girl bathroom
Reposting question with correct picture- searching...
Need to choose the right color white to paint kitchen cabinets
Kitchen is a small galley style in a condo. I want...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
What topics would you like to see more of?
Now that the shiny new Houzz UK has launched, we want...