Paint oak floors and stairs white??
maddiegirl210
All - our atrium is getting painted a light blue gray (Barely Blue - Valspar) and the trim white (decorators white - Benjamin Moore) but I do not like our orange oak floors. Not ready to replace them yet, but any suggestions for painting them? My paint guy recommended a PPG paint that dries very quickly...the question is to paint or not to paint the floor and stairs? And is white the right color?
HI -- Maybe it would be better to re-stain them a darker color or a weathered grey which gives a white washed look . I think it may be best to ask this question at a good quality paint store , like Benjamin Moore or another . My fear is what it will look like with wear and tear over time . The house I grew up in had painted stairs and got the worn look after a few years .
August 24, 2013 at 7:49PM     
nussear1
You might like the color better once the walls are painted. I would not paint the floor....read up on it...have you looked into having someone sand it down and re finishing it a color you like better??
August 24, 2013 at 7:51PM     
maddiegirl210
I have read some about painted floors - the issue is that we have carpet and a different color flooring all on the first floor. I was trying to get it to match a little more. And yes, I've done some reading on it...still torn. Lastly, I do like the white weathered look and yes, have considered staining, too. Here are pics of the other flooring on the first floor that follow the orange oak...
August 24, 2013 at 8:03PM   
nussear1
Save up and have the foyer re stained to match the wood in the kitchen. I painted my stair treads black...I love them. Modern and traditional....I get a ton of compliments. I painted my stair rail black too. Good luck!!
August 24, 2013 at 8:12PM   
maddiegirl210
So staining is the way to go! Guess ill have to be patient but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. Oh and can you post a pic of your black treads and rail? Very curious if that would work for us. Thanks all!
August 24, 2013 at 8:22PM   
nussear1
Yes!! Maddie...I just realized I was commenting on some of your other questions and did not realize it was the same asker!!! funny!! I will post some pics. I was commenting on your dining room last night as well. Funny. I think you should look on Etsy for some drapes....type in aqua and white striped or chevron drapes...see what you find!!! It will be worth it in the end. We pulled our golden oak last summer and laid a dark brown in our living dining and entry....so worth the 3 year wait!!!! I will see if I can find a pic or two on here for you to see how my foyer looks. Your kitchen is awesome!!! Love it!!!
August 25, 2013 at 6:19PM     
maddiegirl210
Thank you! And yes, it's all me :) we just bought our house and in trying to figure out all this design stuff! I appreciate all your advice!!
August 25, 2013 at 6:45PM   
nussear1
Here is dark brown wood with black painted tread. It was orange oak.
August 25, 2013 at 7:00PM     
nussear1
Here are a couple more views. Hope to replace carpet soon but we have a big slobbering dog so low priority... Lol
August 25, 2013 at 7:04PM     
Creative Interiors by Kim
Very Nice nussear1... I like your use of mirrors on the entry wall!
August 26, 2013 at 5:54AM     
nussear1
Thank you Creative Interiors by Kim
September 1, 2013 at 6:00PM     
vixenhouse
What is the thought on carpeted stairs, rest of house being hardwood? Thanks.
September 1, 2013 at 6:43PM   
Wall color
Looking to add a new wall color. Something that will...
Window treatments on Door & Side Light?
We have woven wood shades everywhere else on this floor....
Need opinions on color of mantle for refaced fireplace...thanks
Refaced our fireplace with stone and replaced the hearth...
Quick color question
The painter is coming Thursday or Friday to paint our...