What type of portico and shutters?
mickeyj8
we recently purchased our home and painted the exterior a grey color with darker grey shutters which i dont love. we ripped down the rotted portico and must replace it. i have gotten many quotes and couldn't believe how expensive it would be. i also would love to change the front door or the glass panels for now. i also don't love the color of the door.
would love to hear ideas...thnks!
Beyond Measure Design Inc.
I think your entry needs to be your main focal point of the home, its where you invite guest to come in & it needs to be welcoming. I would suggest painting your door a contrasting color to draw in your eye. As for the portico, there are so many options it really comes down to price/style. The look of this home is a bit colonial so I would go with a basic round column & place it on a stone base, this will give a strong connection as well as visually anchor it to the ground.
August 25, 2013 at 6:16am        Thanked by mickeyj8
mickeyj8
thanks so much for your reply Beyond Measure Design Inc. i really appreciate your help. What color as contrasting color do you suggest? should i paint shutters the same color?
August 25, 2013 at 6:19am   
Beyond Measure Design Inc.
I would do the door something brighter... a burgundy or wine color. If you don't like the shutters as dark grey maybe try a dark navy.
August 25, 2013 at 6:46am   
bluenan
Though more of an investment, a full porch will give you added outdoor living space. Sorry, but the shutters are not appropriate for your house and should be removed completely.
The Dillon foursquare
American Four Square - Front Exterior
A new craftsman bungalow with historic charm.
August 25, 2013 at 6:59am        Thanked by mickeyj8
With you hip roof Center Entrance Colonial, you want to stay with the lines.

I think what is bothering you about the shutters is that they don’t fit. Your windows have no separation and the shutters look dinky…which they are. Sized properly, shutters should at least LOOK as if when closed will cover the glass. It doesn’t mean they actually have to be operable, but at least have the semblance of authentic.

I would remove them and spend a little bit more have a carpenter trim them out with more woodwork.
August 25, 2013 at 12:44pm      Thanked by mickeyj8
You could also do a shed roof and have some custom supports milled.

Good example in this picture as to what I mean about shutters that fit correctly.
August 25, 2013 at 12:55pm        Thanked by mickeyj8
TMK Remodeling
A portico of this size would be in the $15-20k range depending on the style, architecture and materials specified. This assumes the current base is sufficiently designed and installed to support whatever load you intend to place on it.
August 25, 2013 at 3:39pm      Thanked by mickeyj8
TMK Remodeling
Your welcome. Pic attached of a more simple structure.
August 27, 2013 at 4:36am   
Pickled wood tables
I love two pickled wood tables that I've had in storage...
Affectionate, yet Affordable. Doable?
Working on a tight budget, but want to get maximum...
Colour scheme
Hi, need help on the colour/design of my bedsheets...
Front door colour
I'm stuck with these house colours for awhile. Soft...
Stair runner - thoughts?
Hi - I would love some feedback on this runner. The...