Can this rose kerman rug support midcentury modern furniture?
margahill
Hi,

The fireplace and arched entryways in this room seem perfect for midcentury modern furniture. If I start over by removing the existing pleces, would I also have to replace the rug? Is there anything I could save from the room in its present state that would fit into a midcentury design plan?
Marc Russell Interiors
Sorry, nothing in there supports mid century modern. Good luck!
August 25, 2013 at 8:42am        Thanked by margahill
brendakusan
Personally, I feel persian style rugs fit in any decor style, if you feel comfortable mixing it up a bit - a little eclectic. The rest of the furniture has to go, the silhouettes are too traditional for mid-century. Sorry :-) Contents of your bookcases can stay, they just need a better arrangement.
August 25, 2013 at 4:05pm      Thanked by margahill
7j Design, Ottawa
I don't see anything working with Mid-Centry modern. If that is what you should start fresh.
August 25, 2013 at 4:24pm        Thanked by margahill
Another no, start over.
August 25, 2013 at 4:34pm        Thanked by margahill
quercus2
The walls and floor can probably stay. The fireplace, too.
August 25, 2013 at 4:36pm      Thanked by margahill
Terracegallery
Start from scratch...
August 25, 2013 at 4:49pm        Thanked by margahill
Genoveve Serge Interior Design, CID # 6795
Beautiful rug in another setting, not for mid century modern.
Floral print chair has nice frame, recovered in a white linen or bright solid could work with your plan. All else would have to go.
Hope that helps,
Genoveve Serge Interior Design
August 25, 2013 at 5:06pm      Thanked by margahill
brendakusan
Sorry to disagree with everyone, I think the rug will work in the LR, DR, bedroom, etc. Look at these for inspiration: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/leather-oriental-modern-176669
August 26, 2013 at 9:48pm        Thanked by margahill
I agree with most comments that it would be best to scratch the rug. But, brendakusan has a point that with an eclectic style, the rug may work. But, professional help may be needed as it would be very difficult to pull off.
August 26, 2013 at 10:16pm      Thanked by margahill
sjkingston
Problem with the rug is it is an Aubusson style which is a traditional old world style with a dominant non-neutral color scheme. No matter what else you do, it will dominate the room. It's not a Persian style like in the Apartment Therapy examples. So as Darzy says it will be hard to pull off without professional help. To give you an idea of how difficult . . . .go to Houzz photos, set it to Living Rooms and "modern" for the style. Then type in Aubusson. Zero Pictures came up. For "Contemporary" I got three pictures and only one had a rug. And for "Traditional ," 28 pictures came up but there is not a stick of mid-century modern furniture among them. if you truly loe the rug, you may be able to work with it, but it will be a challenge!
August 27, 2013 at 12:32am        Thanked by margahill
carolins
See... I think that if you love midcentury modern and if you love that rug... both will work together in creating a room that reflects your personality.
August 27, 2013 at 4:01am        Thanked by margahill
NexG Interiors
I dont have any idea.. I am too following your post..

kitchen designers | interiors decoration
indianpatti
It could work, but so many other rugs would look much better.
August 27, 2013 at 4:22am      Thanked by margahill
margahill
Thanks so much, everyone, for your responses. I am not skilled enough to deal with this rug, so I've decided to replace it. My plan is to reupholster the floral chair with a neutral solid and keep the sofa for now. I think I'll work on finding a new rug that can work with my existing sofa and reupholstered chair, but that could work as a foundation for a modern design later. Thanks so much for your advice!!
August 27, 2013 at 5:00am     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
This room does not take a pro to do it and yes the rug will work. Firstly as you stated the rug is a kerman known for its large central medallion in a large plain field and elaborate boarder. The rug is what is going to make this room unique rather than it look like everyone elses. The sofa and upsholstered seating needs to go and choose items with a sleeker line upholstered in a color(and it can be a neutral color) from the boarder of the rug. The wooden chair does not appear antique so I would lacquer it a color as well. Some musical elements as accents will pull in the instruments from the far end of the room. At the end of the day the rug gives you a great start and remember that mid century goes all the way to the 70s. Use lucite and chromes etc. possibly a Barcelona style chair. You have so many choices. Good luck!
August 27, 2013 at 5:39am        Thanked by margahill
sjkingston
Wow Carolins, you nailed it.
August 27, 2013 at 7:20am     
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Agree totally with Maison & carolins. It would not take a pro to make this space awesome.

The rug is gorgeous and should stay for sure. If you want to cut the presence of the pink in it, and hide the fact that the medallion will never be centered on the sofa, simply layer a solid or shag rug in a coordinating color over the center of the rug - in front of the sofa.

The problem is everything else. The furniture, accessories and fireplace are what needs to be addressed and in no particular order.

Paint the fireplace a warm gray, leaving the mantle dark. The bookcases and wall over the fireplace could be painted a lighter shade of gray with strict guidelines re: what is placed on the shelves. Only objects/books that are relevant to mid-century decor are allowed. It gets confusing and/or cluttered other wise. Artwork over the fireplace needs to be mid-cent. or musically inspired. Perhaps a black/white print of an iconic musician you admire from the 50s in a black frame. Or enlarged sheet music of a favorite song.

Replace or reupholster the sofa in a light neutral color, chosen from the border of the rug. The style of the sofa is generic and will read as mid-cent. with a modern fabric.

Get a pair of chairs for either side of the fireplace that are decidedly mid-cent., with backs that are taller than the sofa, and upholstered in another color from the border or artwork. Is there an aqua in the border? These chairs could be upholstered in a stripe too - aqua/cream, charcoal/cream, aqua/charcoal, for example. A hit of pattern won't hurt by the fireplace - especially if you choose to use a b/w print over the fireplace.
August 27, 2013 at 8:31am        Thanked by margahill
carolins
@sjkingston, thanks :-)
August 27, 2013 at 8:44am     
Sandy G. ltd.
fabrics/artwork
August 27, 2013 at 8:56am        Thanked by margahill
brendakusan
Thank you @carolins for that image. I knew it would work! Mid-century does not have to a colourless sea of bland colours. I recall owning vivid oranges,greens, checks. As in Carolins pic, and Sandy's above you need to be bolder in your colour choices to partner with the rug.

Don't get rid of the rug. Replace the sofa first, it is way too traditional for the look you're after.
August 27, 2013 at 1:53pm        Thanked by margahill
IMO..the rug doesn't work for a MCM look. For a an eclectic, unique look that fits your personality, yes, the rug can work.
August 27, 2013 at 9:57pm        Thanked by margahill
carolins
I'm glad that my collage shows that your rug could work with midcentury style furniture. Sometimes it helps to see items put together :-)
I do think however that you can keep your sofa, but if you change both chairs to more sleek lined ones, you'll have a good start towards a more modern look. And more modern lamps would make a difference too.

Good luck.
August 27, 2013 at 11:52pm      Thanked by margahill
celerygirl
Some idea how it can work with midcentury.It is cozy and stylish.
August 28, 2013 at 12:02am        Thanked by margahill
margahill
I'm definitely inspired by these comments to try working with the rug. It is a great rug and provides a good backdrop to the room. One thing I can do right away is work on the arrangements in the bookshelves. I'll post my attempts when I have time to work on it this weekend. Thanks so much for all of the encouragement and great ideas!
August 28, 2013 at 5:40am   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Anotoher quick thought - you could use an old piano bench for your cocktail table.
August 28, 2013 at 7:31am   
brendakusan
How much more MCM can you get than Mies van der Rohe?

September 11, 2013 at 7:21am        Thanked by margahill
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Spot On!

Perfect example of what margahill might think about her space. Absolutely perfect example! Oh, and just happens to be beautiful too! One lesson here is that it's ok - sometimes better - to throw some of those rigid design rules out the window - ending up with spaces that are exciting and fresh! Thank you brendakusan! Thank You!
September 11, 2013 at 8:17am     
0825sam
margahill - I know this post is a couple of weeks old, but I wanted to add an idea. I think it's great you are going to at least try to work with the rug. here is an idea for layering a flokati over it - just something different that might work with your modern pieces. This room is definitely eclectic, but just imagine more mid century pieces. I borrowed this idea for my own living room where my rug was a bit more traditional than I would have liked (I tend to prefer rugs more similar to the example photos posted above but, like yours, something about mine had more of a traditional vibe).

September 11, 2013 at 12:28pm        Thanked by margahill
Genevieve
Time sure makes us accumulate many treasures that eventually will become a bit overwhelming for us to have and display ,so I will say this to you I like the rug , and the sofa we can work with ,but pretend that you are moving and place all the items in boxes and begin with a clean canvas .
the rug will stay ,the picture above the fireplace mantel will be on the wall instead , remove those cushions they do not work with the rug , Now let me think:)

Get some new cushions shaggy like , find a new location for the chairs and get 2 new ones ,the ones posted above by Sandy and carolins are perfect and so is that table and lamp ,if you can eventually replace the rug do that the only reason why I didn't say to remove it is because rugs are expensive to replace and a good one will last you a lifetime and then some
http://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/mid-century-living-room.jpg.

something like this one for example

September 11, 2013 at 12:40pm        Thanked by margahill
sondramartina
My Persian rug is currently rolled up in the basement, this is old photo. I just wish it did not have that medallion in the middle .So I decided to try to sell it.Tonight I am having a guy who sells oriental rugs coming over to give me an estimate to buy my rug. Wish me luck and good deal.
September 11, 2013 at 12:57pm   
Nicole White Designs Inc
Love the rug, especially that pop of pink. It'll work just fine but you definitely need to bring in some key MCM pieces to properly reflect the design style you're trying to achieve.
September 11, 2013 at 1:02pm      Thanked by margahill
Genevieve
I love that rug the medallion is screaming "Let me show myself " just imagine placing a round glass table over it < can you see it smiling at you ?
September 11, 2013 at 1:03pm      Thanked by margahill
Genevieve
Another idea would be to paint one wall the same pink as the rug ,it would be an accent wall
get some new chairs ,

September 11, 2013 at 1:06pm        Thanked by margahill
margahill
Thanks for the great ideas. They have helped me see my rug in a completely new way. I am now enthused about adding in some MCM elements that allow for some of those fresh colors you all have been posting. Especially that turquoise! I'm focusing on revamping the bookshelves and changing out the art over the fireplace as a start. I think that will help set the tone that I can use to change out furniture pieces.
September 11, 2013 at 5:50pm     
Recommend furniture store for midcentury modern
Hello, I am in the process of shopping for my living...
Furniture layout in mid-century modern living room
Need help in laying out furniture for our living room....
Love Mid-Century Modern iconic furniture
Do you carry your own furniture? If you do, you have...
Midcentury Modern Outdoor Furniture
Any idea of the designer or manufacturer of these gorgeous...
Need help picking out countertops!
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and could really...
Asbestos Tile? What did you do with yours?
There is asbestos tile in two rooms of our home over...
Style concept dilemma
Here's another good example of our interior design...
Where would I get Factory steel doors installed???
Hi - I live in Northern NJ. I would like to get factory...
Need opinion on flooring for entry that leads to kitchen area
Our entry, along with a small bath, is wood flooring....