Need help with tiny TV room
readbetter
This is the little 9 x 9 ft square back room in my Cape Cod style cottage. It was just gutted and the sliding door installed which goes out to a small patio and the yard. I use the room as my everyday sitting area to read, crochet or watch TV. The shelf unit is new and houses all my everyday stuff like checkbook, address book, calendar, books, TV, etc. so I cannot do without it. I need ideas about the sofa. The one seen here is 72 inches with the small 20 inch side table. Should I get one big comfy sofa or stick to the smaller sofa and table. The room has a ceiling light. I like leather because it holds up nicely with two dogs and a cat. The window is being replaced. The rest of my house contains white sofas and bedding. Any ideas?
Rina
It seems to me that you use that sofa mostly when you are on your own. The big question: are you comfortable on it? If you love being there, keep it. I would prefer something cosier, more rounded. Small is good. I don't mean leather, necessarily, but if that's what you want, stick with it. Something you just can't resist curling up in. I love your cushions and your lamp. Oh yes and the carpet. The ottoman looks a bit bigger than necessary. Any chance of one beautiful picture on the wall?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:36AM
Scott's Creative Home
A 72" sofa is a demi sofa and may be small for you and 2 dogs and a cat. It looks like you have the space for a longer sofa maybe 85" and have room for a narrow table. We sell some that are 16" wide.
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:36AM
franrg
What about two comfortable chairs with a table between them?
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:41AM
Is it just you using this room? If so just go 2 comfy leather chairs in a color like yellow. Put that table between them add a ottoman just one it can be shared. I would cover the whole wall floor to ceiling with panels, do in a cream print. With some yellow or what ever color you choose for chairs. You could make chairs recliners then no Need for ottoman, they take up space. Recliners come in all looks go the more modern look nots so bulky. And not brown. Mix it up. Add a big tall lamp on table. Lazy Boy carries some nice ones. Add same panels to end of slider too.
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:52AM
readbetter
I guess I have to decide if I want an occasional nap on a big sofa or the look of two chairs - which is an appealing idea. I live alone so I am the only one using the room and it is a room I use every single day so I want it pretty as well as comfy. Rina, the ottoman is a left over from another home so it can go. I will definitely get a nice picture or painting for the wall. Thanks to an earlier Houzz discussion, I got a great painting for my living room. So here I go again. Thanks so far.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:02AM
A small room like yours, with lots of light, could look great with darker colors. A small chair for your desk area that can do double duty as a stool for you feet while you sit on a comfy white leather sofa.

3 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:07AM
Angelina Vick
It seems like the biggest Q is if your couch is comfortable. And you said the space functions well for you. Is there anything you wish you were able to do or do easier? Now would be the time to adapt it to you.

Feel free to check out my art and see what inspires you. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/

Because whatever you put on the wall will be reflected in the tv, I would not recommend a mirror or glass covered art. Canvas will work best.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:24AM
readbetter
Angelina, actually the couch is not too comfortable and I wish I could stretch out more. This is my second bedroom and, every now and then, I sleep on this couch so a guest can have privacy sleeping upstairs in my bedroom. I would love a sofa bed but the room will not handle one when pulled out because the wall unit is so deep. I don't like the look or feel of a futon so I guess I'm narrowing down the fact that I would like a bigger, more comfy couch - maybe one in a lighter color. I have blue accents with white in the rest of the house.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:41AM
abbyjean
Is there room for the couch to go on the wall across from the deck door? I think you need to keep a couch if you use it to sleep on when guests come. BUT if you can move it to the other wall, I am also seeing a nice big comfy chair in the corner by the deck doors....maybe even a chaise, so you can automatically put your feet up....or at least an ottoman for it. Make it a pattern to break up the solids in the room. LOVE a room like this for you to enjoy!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 1:46PM
Terracegallery
Yes what is the wall like across from the sliders?
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 1:49PM
tgrdnr
Since your space is small, I would go with a more modern sofa with cleaner lines. This will visually open up your space if the sofa isn't as bulky. It would go well with your shelf and lamp. However, just because it's smaller doesn't mean you have to sacrifice comfort, do make sure you sit in it before you buy
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 1:56PM
Angelina Vick
Ok...the couch needs to go then, if it's not comfortable.

With the space that you have...I would put two VERY comfortable recliners on that wall. They are so comfortable that they can double as a bed. =)

OR

Go with a longer couch...and use a coffee table instead of end tables.

I would go with the recliner option though. ;) Then you can keep the handy end tables.

A few art suggestions.

This is a gallery that is work inspired by the sea...many of them would fit your space well. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/inspired+by+the+sea/all

I can picture this on one side of the wall. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/ship-2-with-quote-angelina-vick.html
And this on the other side. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/ocean-4-angelina-vick.html

You have a window facing your tv, I would get some curtains that can block the light...unless it never bothers you? Either way...curtains will soften the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 2:03PM
readbetter
Good advice, thanks. The wall opposite the slider is a big closet with shelves and built in drawers that takes up the whole wall. If I keep the sofa on the smaller side, I might be able to fit a small chair in that corner.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 2:06PM
abbyjean
I can't get a feel for space in the room, but can you float the couch in front of the closet and still get in and around?
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 2:08PM
readbetter
abbyjean, I don't think so because you would walk into the side when entering the room. It is soooo tiny, you can't imagine! But I'm determined to cozy it up.
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 2:11PM
abbyjean
One more thought......what if you were to angle the couch. Scoot it down so the right arm is at the closet and then angle. Then you could still get to the closet and see out the sliding doors easily, too. Put the table and lamp at the window and then just get a chair for the corner???
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 2:17PM
readbetter
abbyjean, interesting idea and one I will play with tomorrow with the old couch to see how I like it. Actually, I have a comfy swivel chair that needs reupholstering upstairs that might work there. Angelina, thanks for the pics. I'm a reading teacher so that's why my name
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:02PM
abbyjean
A swivel chair would be awesome!!!

Are you Reading Recovery or in a classroom?
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:03PM
Angelina Vick
You're welcome.

My aunt is a reading teacher, very rewarding profession. Well, I don't know if you want reading to be part of your space...but those ideas came to mind.

If you describe what kind of art you like...I'm sure you will get suggestions.

What do you think of curtains?
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:21PM
readbetter
abbyjean, I have my own room where I have small groups of struggling readers. Reading Recovery is in first grade. I work with grades 3, 4, 5. Angelina, I'm not sure about curtains. There is a blackout shade on slider and will be on new window as the room is very sunny and hot. My new window will have the little grills on top. I might consider a print Roman shade with maybe a matching panel on slider??? The room is so very small I usually think "less is more." But I'm thinking that the room needs something to make it special. My living room has a white sectional with a big blue pelican painting and I'm waiting for my seashell mirrior. i hint at beachy but minimally. I'd like to keep rooms on the same theme. So maybe a beachy blue painting in this room and a simple blue and white fabric? What do you guys think?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 4:03PM
readbetter
Here is a pic of living room. I like simple. Imagine s white shell mirror over the fireplace.the windows will be replaced this winter.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 4:14PM
abbyjean
Well, well, well! I forgot your name, but I sooooo know this home!!! VERY NICE!!! I have followed your saga on several threads and loved them all!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 4:48PM
abbyjean
Blue and white with a splash of yellow.....my favorite ever!!!!
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 4:49PM
readbetter
Thank you so much. We had a great long thread over this room that was a lot of fun. It was called tiny, tiny cottage. So glad you are back with new my room.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:08PM
readbetter
I mean my new room. Ugh! I can't edit posts on iPad app
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:10PM
abbyjean
And guess what....I read it just the way you meant it! Maybe I need your services!!!! LOL
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:13PM
Ceratec Tiles & Stone
The 2 recliner chairs idea with the table in the middle is really goo,d it will make the room look airy.
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:23PM
readbetter
abbyjean, I guess I should post the final pic of living room when I get the mirror. You Houzzers really helped design the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:28PM
abbyjean
YES! I speak for ALL of us here when I say we would love to see that mirror!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:36PM
readbetter
abbyjean, ill attach it to my original tiny cottage thread so it won't mix up this one.
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:50PM
abbyjean
GREAT! Then all the newbies can enjoy your story, too!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:53PM
readbetter
I took out that ugly ottoman and I'm going to attach some more pics from various angles of the room so you can see just how tiny the space is. I'm thinking of a white sofa that is bigger, and maybe a simple nautical thing on the window and some art. I might ask my carpenter to build a bridge shelf on the wall unit. The matching one was too big. Help! BTW, I'm getting a head-start on Fall with the pumpkin pillows before I go back to school because I won't have time. Mostly, I will carry the beachy theme thoughout the house most the year with a little blue. Later, I'll add some pics of the other rooms. I want to be consistent with my colors and design if possible.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:25AM
Lynne Forrestal
Lots of great ideas here, which way are you leaning... sofa or chairs? Loved following your tiny tiny cottacge post too!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:41AM
readbetter
Thanks, Lynne. I like the chair idea but, for practicality, I think I have to go with a big sofa because I like to stretch out on a rainy day and watch a movie and sometimes sleep there when I give my bedroom to guests. White???
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:36AM
Lynne Forrestal
Sofa sounds great, and with the patio door, nice cool breeze to sleep by :)
fewer pieces, even if larger size in a small sitting room, I think is good. You've got great taste so whatever you decide on will be great I am sure. When you get some options chosen, post so we can VOTE LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:46AM
mefor
Is 85 too big if you take the table out? These are ikea, they have more slipcover options, these are just a few. Slipcovers are reasonable enough to get a few options for changing out with the seasons or on a whim. Perfect with the styles you have going on in the other rooms in house. I love a bit of a beach vibe, just ask my sis, carolins :)
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:54AM
mefor
Might help if I posted the pics :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:56AM
mefor
Also the ektorp chairs are big and comfy, two of them with a table between and a low footstool in front for feet up would be very comfortable. Something small and low like this or this, the woven ones are three stacked on top of each other, easily separated for use as footstools or stacked for mini table. And those are ikea chairs too, the black rattan and the white slipcovered. My beach house is full of ikea, homegoods, antiques and second hands.
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:03AM
Lynne Forrestal
Do you have an IKEA store near you so you can go and test drive the sofas? I need to travel several hours to an IKEA here, only been there once for a short time, not enough time to really see everything... but I did order curtain panels form there, ( not top quality) but they were what I wanted and soooo reasonably priced.
I like the striped choice posted above... get some pattern in the small room, since there is so much white cabinets doors etc... and will be better for camouflaging tiny foot prints too :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:20AM
mefor
I have those slipcovers as well as the white. This is close up of the stripe :)
It's actually quite nice.
5 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:32AM
Lynne Forrestal
I wish I had a beachy theme! I'd use that sofa for sure. Living in Wisconsin, beachy theme would look a little strange LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:34AM
carolins
I haven't read the other comments. I know, it's very bad that I haven't. So I'm probably repeating something. Ah well... :-)
I'd paint the walls light blue. White curtains for the sliding doors.
Did you know there are also chairs that you can turn into a bed? That could be a solution for you. You could turn it if you'd need to make it into a bed. I quite like the idea of these white ones, but would cover the middle part with a blue (patterned) neatly folded throw.
Holland Twin Sleeper
Upholstered Twin Sleeper
Tidewater SW 6477 Paint
Coastal Pelican Indoor / Outdoor Rectangular Pillow

Ikea has good ottomans that would be nice to put your feet up if you're watching TV. Dark blue perhaps?
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:42AM
mefor
Lynne, You could always use beachy colors without the beachy bits and pieces. Driftwood colored wood furniture, sandy colored paint or upholstery and all tones of sea and sky will give you that airy feeling, without the shells, fish and boat bits. Artwork with fields or lakes and sky could fill in for reference. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:46AM
carolins
Could be a nice throw blanket for over the chair (should you go for that option) http://www.allmodern.com/DENY-Designs-Khristian-A-Howell-Moroccan-Mirage-Fleece-Throw-Blanket-1301-fle-NDY2582.html

(the McPelican pillow was a small joke)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:00AM
What would make this room stunning is a cobalt blue on the walls. In a small room, it actually makes it feel larger to do dark walls as they recede, and especially terrific when you have white casework and trim and doors on the closet. It would make it feel very cozy.

I'm reminded of a unique high end room with a reproduced navigation map in white on cobalt blue walls over white wainscot - your white trim and bookcase would really make those deep blue walls stunning, and you could do a small blue and white print for your shades/valance with blackout. I like the idea of hanging these high so when they are open they let the light stream in/ make a valance / or just have a tailored valance and keep a simple white roller shade underneath - less $ and very neat and clean looking. I think for the compact room shades are preferable to curtains for their neatness element.

I think the leather works well when you have animals and it is paid for - but I have slipcovers and could also see a ticking stripe or denim / they wash up well. Since your other room is predominantly light, this one being deep could work well for you. Here are some color ideas - ben moore's midnight navy http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/midnightnavy - they show it in a room on the ceiling - very unique. There is something about admiral blue (royal to the point of cobalt) and symphony blue http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/symphonyblue that are also worth testing depending on your sofa decision. If you were to keep your leather, going with the symphony tone would make the most color harmony, but if you are shifting to a sliipcover sofa in white or ticking, then midnight navy may be your favorite choice.

Here's a fabric for roman shades - dark walls w/ white sofa http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/blue/sultana+lattice+-+iman+home+fabrics+luna.do - works with admiral and midnight
If you keep your leather and go for the symphony blue wall - then you want this luscious fabric http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/blue/kalah+blue.do

Finally, i can only say how sad i was to see your tiny cottage living room without the original mantelpiece swan- you may just like to move it around, as most of us do with our homes from time to time - but often the advice here 'of the multitudes' 'dumbs' down a room / leads people in a direction that actually loses the most stylish / original / charming thing about a room. If that is why the original wooden swan is gone then I am very sorry. I vote to relegate the pelican to the basement and bring back the swan post haste!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:03AM
mefor
I like this deep navy as well, it's true that with all the white in room a dark blue would be very fresh on wall. And kind of cozy in the evenings for tv watching. SW Naval. Also, light blues, sand and a stone/khaki/putty color would look good too. Lots of options that would work well with the rest of house, but give you a little different vibe. I know this may be hard for you, I have read the other discussions you've posted and I'm aware of the "color phobia", but you may be ready to stretch your wings, lol. McWings. ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:24AM
edithsmom
Readbetter, I'll add my opinion on the IKEA Ektorp sofa which we have, with two changes of slipcovers...very practical with a dog, however, our grand cat pulled the threads in the weave (down the front), so they are maybe not good with feline friends. Also, while I lounge, read, watch movies and have had to sleep on it a couple of times for more than one night...it is comfortable for all except sleeping.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 11:22AM
readbetter
Oh boy! Now we're talking. I have much to read, view and think about. Thanks and keep 'em coming!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 11:51AM
readbetter
So - I've spent all afternoon "shopping" and all your good areas are in the running. What you don't know is that, before this room was gutted, I painted in a deep, dark taupe and I liked it. I wouldn't do that color now but you guys are arousing my curiosity about a dark room again. Just had this painted though so not sure but this winter I'll think about it when my carpenter is here. Maybe once the new window is in, I can start putting together a visual. This room is never dark because it faces west. We will see. My color phobia was indeed challenged with my purchase of that big blue pelican - which I absolutely love. Sorry, no chance of moving him to the basement. You guys always give me so much to think about - and I will. Thank you. Keep the ideas coming!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 1:51PM
readbetter
Angelina, BTW I forgot to mention how much I liked your ship picture.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 2:43PM
readbetter
Here is my bedroom and living room. Lets make my tv room fit the theme without too much spending or too much color. I'm easing into color. My kitchen is white with black counters. Ill send a pic when I can. Overall, my home is a simple cottage.Thanks.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:22PM
Ashleigh Weatherill Interior Design
I designed this tiny TV area for a single female client (with dog)...we went big and comfy with a sofa/chaise combo and a lucite coffee table so she could still have a place to set a drink, but we didn't have to worry about too much visual clutter. Good luck!

PS. Love a dark color in small rooms. BM Hale Navy is a great neutral color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:32PM
mefor
Sorry readbetter, the color I gave you before was SW Naval, not commodore, commodore is more royal blue than the naval. The one I meant to post was naval, so at least the color you looked at was correct. Sorry :)
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:47PM
abbyjean
For sure, a blue and white room and that is such a comfy cozy type of room.....a room the pelican or the pillow from your bed COULD go in, but they wouldn't. Maybe THIS would be the room to do the reverse in and instead of the big things white, make the big things the blue and the accents the white.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:48PM
readbetter
Ashleigh, thanks. I love that room but my colors, of course, would be different. Where did you find that comfy-looking sofa? mforr, thanks for the color check. abbyjean, I'm warming up to the idea of going in reverse. It may take a while but it's interesting. I'm working on it! If I don't change the wall color, would you guys go along with a blue sofa and wall art?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:01PM
PT Designs Inc. Paula Tranfaglia - Decorating Den
I highly recommend using a small low profile sofa...as previously mentioned, an "apartment" size sofa...71/72" long and ideally 30"- 34" outside depth max...most standard sofa's average 89" long x 38" deep and up! So you must be careful when selecting a sofa to check it's measurement. I am not recommending a love seat as they appear "fat and pudgy" with little or no aesthetic value. There scale of 65-63" and again 38" + deep give them that boxy look.

Looks like you lean toward traditional/transitional...A trick for fooling the eye and making a space appear larger is to have the sofa be the same or similar to the wall color so it literally blends into the wall. This alleviates the eye from stopping and noticing one item (sofa) but rather the eye takes in more of the entire room! I have attached an image of a room of mine that I used this trick on. Although larger than your space...it was a small space that needed to seat a family of 5 + friends!

In addition to the sofa, I strongly recommend a metal frame, glass top coffee table...either a small round (32" diameter to add some curve/softness to the small linear space) or a set of 2 small bunching squares. You will "see" through them and again, the space feels larger.

As for end tables & lighting - in a perfect world - I would go with rectangular end table(s) that are narrow on the front but run the depth of the sofa...lamp(s) with rectangular or oval shades that run in the same direction as the end table offer needed light yet table/lamps again are bulky for the space.

If you wish to run the nautical theme through into this space...stick with white wash end tables...a soft cream/white sofa with perhaps nautical pillows, glass coffee table, and then carry the nautical theme over to the built ins by painting the back of the open cubbies a blue (taken from pillows) this will create immediate impact and interest very easily...then add some textured woven or "rope" baskets into a couple of the cubbies for texture and visual interest and to hold items while you display photo's / accents in the other cubbies. White/cream accents/frames/nic nacks will pop right off of the blue!

Area rug depends on your direction...a simple textured sisal or man made sisal would bring in additional organic texture...Will post pictures of the sofa similar to wall color soon - when I get to my office computer! Keep in mind it isn't a nautical theme - but you will see how the sofa blends into wall.

Good luck!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:31PM
Here are a few images
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:51PM
mefor
Certainly, readbetter, I love light colors too. Total renovation and rebuild of old beach bungalow, every wall is white, with a few pale, pale blue SW buoyant blue walls in living/dining areas. But my walls everywhere else are white beadboard. I have introduced color to a few ceilings. SW buoyant blue and SW green trance.
So I completely understand your desire to stick with light colors. But it might be nice to get some color in sofa or pair of chairs and pillows. And also in artwork. Some of the artists here, like Angelina, have beautiful original art and there's also vintage art, things like Mc Bird and copies on sites like art.com. So you certainly can bring in a deep, rich navy blue and some natural sandy colors to add a bit of cozy and warmth in the ways that make you comfortable. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:56PM
readbetter
Mforr, that room is pretty. Maybe I can bring in some blue in a rug. The one in your room looks warm and pretty. I also like the color in the window treatment.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:09AM
Angelina Vick
Thank you readbetter! =)

I have it available with and without the quote. Of course, I like the quote, but I am a sucker for good quotes. There is also a turquoise version, which is brighter. And a sepia/brown version. Each one has a different presence. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/inspired+by+the+sea/all?page=2

I can see it working well for you, especially with a white frame. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/ship-2-with-quote-angelina-vick.html
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. angelinavick@ymail.com

I see you are getting lots of great ideas. =)

Have fun choosing...and go slow, there are less regrets when you do it one at a time, versus too much at once.

BTW, I can see why that pelican captured you, very elegant.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 1:08AM
mefor
I like the natural rug you have in the room already. I think you should think about the blue in the sofa or chairs , a bit in the window treatment and a nice mix of pillows. And you can always get that extra slipcover or two to change on a whim. Buying the ikea ektorp and a couple sets of extra slipcovers can be cheaper than buying a sofa from someplace else with only one option in covers.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 4:37AM
readbetter
I looked at Ikea yesterday and saw the ektorp furniture. A good option perhaps. I did find a pretty navy/white striped rug at Home Decorators (Primrose) if you get time to look. I'm not sure yet and will take a long time to play with all the choices. Thanks everyone.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 4:51AM
NexG Interiors
Today we can get many designer shofa sets based on your wish and material quality.. without this my suggestion is place a color full flooring mat. That gives nice look and place some art things in your table and lamp place..

< a href="http://www.nexginteriors.com/kitchen_designers.html"> kitchen designers | < a href="http://www.nexginteriors.com/interiors_decoration.html"> interiors decoration
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 4:57AM
Kim D
I didn't read all the post so apologies if this was already mentioned, but I would remove one side of the bookshelves so the tv could be pushed back a bit. The shelves next to the door could be removed and the tv would sit in the space without looking awkward.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 5:05AM
Angelina Vick
Can you post the link to the rug you are talking about?
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 5:58AM
carolins
Is it this one?
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:05AM
mefor
This one, in the blue/cream/green? Must be :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:06AM
mefor
Ooh, scary carolins, we looked that up at precisely the same time :o
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:07AM
mefor
Don't you like the rug in the room now?
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:08AM
mefor
Perhaps painting the ceiling is a good option for you, SW open air and buoyant blue are both lovely open sky colors.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 8:43AM
readbetter
I was just poking around and found that rug - I like the one that's called navy. The blue one you posted is called denim and that is nice too but I think navy and white looks crisper. I was just trying to add some easy color. Just looking around getting ideas. I will not be doing any painting as the room was just gutted and painted so, although your color choices are nice, I can't do it right now. this is what happens with Houzz - so many ideas that it takes time and patience to decide.rivers300, I just bought that wall unit and planned on the TV being that way because it was the only way I could have my cake and eat it too - I missed my old wall unit and it wouldn't fit here. In fact, not much fits in this room so I have to be very creative. thanks for the idea though.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:21AM
franrg
I had a dark blue rug once and it showed every bit of lint and dirt. Just saying. Has anyone else mentioned that the TV is too big for the space? It should be recessed.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:36AM
mefor
Sorry readbetter, here it is. It would be lovely in the room. Though I'm very taken with the one in the room already, perhaps you are tired of it. :)
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:05AM
mefor
:)
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:05AM
readbetter
I thought it was pretty and it caught my eye. The one there has been with me a long time, first in the living room, and I am a little sick of it. We will see where this leads.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:57AM
mefor
Here's a few ideas for footstools, sofas, chairs and color combinations. My husband brought a bunch of mail for me from other house, PB catalog in the middle, just looking at it and they're featuring that SW Naval color. I beat them to it!!
Peruse at your leisure :)
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:06PM
mefor
:)
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:08PM
mefor
:)
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:10PM
mefor
:)
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:10PM
mefor
:) last one
1 Like    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:11PM
mefor
In that last one, not suggesting yellow and green, I like the small stools for in front of sofa area :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 27, 2013 at 12:12PM
Lynne Forrestal
That navy rug looks nice, and with all the white will be striking too. Have you thought about keeping the sofa you have but getting a fabric slip cover for that? It seems to fit the space well.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 2:07PM
Lynne Forrestal
You could do light or dark slipcover, and white shades or white semi sheer panels to soften the edges of the window/ patio door. Just a few special pieces in here will go a long way.. RE: the tv and space above that,
if you put floating shelves above the tv, or a print that takes up most of that space there, perhaps it would tie the tv in a little better, since the cabinets will remain the way it is.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 2:10PM
readbetter
Lynne, I am going to ask my carpenter to build me a bridge shelf and match the color. He's coming soon for the window. Does anyone know where I can look for white slipcovers?I've only seen cream. I was thinking of exploring that option. Ill probably have to vacuum every five minutes, but I like that rug. Maybe some navy and white pillows. Once the window is in, ill decide about treatments. This might be a cheap fix for now as I still have some renovating left.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 3:34PM
rb - possibly not used this way / but as a bargain cool thing 10' x nearly 4' pillows? wall hanging/art? . . . http://www.potterybarnkids.com/search/results.html?words=nautical+map+swag&cm_sp=OnsiteSearch-_-GlobalNav-_-Button&type-ahead-viewset=ecom
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 27, 2013 at 3:46PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I think the sofa is OK for the small space, No to a larger one. A couple of chairs would be OK too, but you have to consider the scale... Try a picture grouping on the wall behind the sofa. Add some simple window treatments,
    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 27, 2013 at 4:16PM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 27, 2013 at 7:05PM
readbetter
OK, the sad truth is that school starts in six days and I have to finish this project fast! I think I'll spruce up the room with a new rug and a white slipcover. I'll put the other rug in the living room. Now I need a few white/navy nautical pillows. Any picks? Thanks so much for all your help. Now the house is second and my school kids come first. I'm having a big party here in two weeks so the house will have consistency and look pretty. Window treatments to follow installation of the new window.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:46AM
mefor
These are from west elm
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:04AM
mefor
West elm
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:05AM
mefor
West elm
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:06AM
mefor
These are from pottery barn
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:07AM
mefor
Pottery barn
1 Like    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:08AM
mefor
These are also from west elm
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:18AM
readbetter
Thanks. I looked at the little blue and white flag pillow from PB and liked it. I also found some at Etsy. I think I can choose now. Thanks so very much. I'll send in a pic of the room in a week or so when I get it together then again after the window is done because I'll need to do something there. Happy Fall!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:16AM
spitfire60
I like the idea of a small sectional with recliner or like I have a loveseat sofa with both sides as recliners. You have the seating and the footstool all in one. And when not in use the recliner goes down and keeps the space open.. A picture above the wall as suggested would be nice.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:43AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Whoadaminute! cover that ug ottoman with some fabric and ties... it is a useful footrest.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:00AM
spitfire60
Yeah and you could use it for a table too.. I didn't say get rid of it.. just trying to create a visual of more room
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:17AM
bumblebee728
Hi readbetter, I'm a little late, and I know you're focusing on school now, so I'll post these ideas for future reference, and not to miss the updates in a week or so :).
Since you need a piece of furniture for both sleeping and sitting comfortably, I think you should stick with a sofa that's just long enough to stretch out, and comfortable enough to sit on. An ottoman to put your feet up on that also acts as a coffee table could be a real workhorse. You could get a wooden tray with sides on it, one that can carry your drinks and snacks from the kitchen. An ottoman with storage would hold your sleeping pillow and blanket nearby.
How about a very pale, soft yellow sofa with the navy and white striped rug you like? You already have a white sofa and bedding in the rest of your cottage, but of course another white one would be fine too. I think fabric would be more comfortable than leather for sleeping. For pillows, maybe one solid navy, one white and navy, and one yellow and white.
Do you need task lighting? One of these floor lamps from PB would eliminate the need for a side table and save room.
One more idea: since this is your own little private space, have you thought of painting the ceiling a lighter version of the blue that's already in your house? It'll give the tiny space a little 'lift'. And, it would still tie in with the rest of the cottage's decor. Another little spot of yellow in the room somewhere to accompany the pale yellow sofa, and the room would still be only blue, yellow and white ( I know how you are about color :)). Hope you like some of these ideas, enjoy the start of your new school year!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 8:44AM
readbetter
Thanks everyone and I will recover the ugly ottoman as I do like using it. I have so many ideas now. Can't wait to show you.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:07PM
Angelina Vick
Glad you got all the inspiration you need, can't wait to see pics!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:32PM
dlanier1
I like the cabinet but I think that you should get a larger sofa. There is dead space to the left and right of this sofa so why not max out the wall with one large sofa. In front of the sofa I would do a rectangle storage ottoman with a tray on top for drinks. If you need task lighting use wall sconces. The advantage of a sofa over chairs is a sofa can serve as a guest bed a chair can not.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:27PM
spitfire60
Are the cabinet pieces separate. you could move the outside one and put your tv on the wall!! that's how I have mine
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 8:02PM
readbetter
Can you folks take a look at an artist on Etsy that I've fallen in love with? Her paintings are whimsical which I thought would be great in my TV room especially since the living room is so serious. reniebritenbucher is her name and the two I especially like are entitled, Winter Folk art Ice Skaters Christmas Fun and Colorful Shoreline Houses Sailboats. I live on Long Island and they remind me of our local harbor. I was thinking one on either side of the window. I'm not sure about the "rules" of art - size, color, coordinating pieces. Thank you. I am definitely buying something fun from her.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:45AM
carolins
Sure readbetter, if you provide the link to her Etsy shop.... :-D
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:51AM
mefor
Here you go carolins :)
They're great readbetter, there's your color !!!! :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/reniebritenbucher?page=5
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:55AM
mefor
North shore readbetter? Grew up on the island, reminds me of a specific place too.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:57AM
carolins
Thanks mforr. Love them. Very colourful, storytelling art. Nice!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:10AM
mefor
I was thinking of Port Jeff, next guess would have been Cold Spring Harbor. Lovely places, love it out there.
I like the artwork very much and I don't think it will be a problem with the rug. The area rug is just a foundation for the room. If you introduce just a tiny bit of one of the colors from the artwork to a pillow and a few accessories in room, it will work beautifully. Plus the artwork speaks to you, so it will work because its a part of you. Yes, one on each side of window, depicting two opposite seasons will be great. Maybe you should delete the last comment about where you live. Thank you for sharing though, lovely place to be. :)
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:25AM
readbetter
Deleted. Good idea. I'm so excited about my introduction to art - a big step for me - and these pieces will bring a bit of color as well as fun into the room. So, bring in a pillow with a little yellow or red? Each side of the window is 30 inches wide. How about the sizes?
http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5168380/il_170x135.107479061.jpg http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5168380/il_170x135.245238163.jpg

How do I copy the pictures of the paintings?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:35AM
mefor
How's this?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:57AM
mefor
Be sure about the new window trim and final window treatment. When you're sure about these things, talk to artist about how you want to display art. Will it be framed? She can help,advise you on what size will work best for your space. Don't go too small though. This will be the main statement in your room, you don't want it to be tiny.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:01AM
mefor
Actually a reddish orange color would work well. This is just an example of one pop of color that would work well with blue and white pillows. It's from crate and barrel, cotton velvet. Just one in the center of sofa should be enough of color to tie in with the art.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:07AM
mefor
Good luck, readbetter, I can't wait to see what happens next :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 29, 2013 at 5:08AM
mefor
Ok, these would be fun too. Really plays off the feeling of the artwork. Also from crate and barrel the first one is reversible.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:19AM
mefor
:)
readbetter
http://img1.etsystatic.com/013/0/6673487/il_170x135.446849641_rr9m.jpg

These are the pillows I ordered - isn't there a rule about 3 or 5 in numbers of things? Then I need 2 more - 2 orange too much???
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:24AM
mefor
2 orange in that size would be too much. Can you order another striped one? Then you could have two striped in corner with either of the two sealife on top and the orange in the middle. Also look for throw with orange or the muted yellow like the pillow I showed in last post.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:29AM
readbetter
Gotcha! Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:39AM
bumblebee728
Love the artwork and the pillows, especially the eyelash, reversible ones!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 29, 2013 at 7:47AM
franrg
Don't go overboard with the pillows - too many and they'll wind up on the floor. Try a throw for that splash of color - and it's practical because you want to nap there.
    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 30, 2013 at 8:22PM
personette
I love tiny rooms, and agree that if you like to stretch out on the sofa, you need a longer one that fills the entire window wall. I like the idea of a bright Caribbean blue on the walls to accent your pretty white shelf unit and maybe a wider bright white glossy woodwork and crown moulding. There are some nice storage ottomans out there made from woven grass that could double as a coffee table or be moved in front of your glass doors with some colorful pillows for extra seating. Also wonder if you could hang pendant lights on each end of the sofa with linen shades for reading. Or have an electrician mount some small sconces on each end of the sofa wall above some corbels used as as wall shelves ( great place to display some shells). If you put plantation shutters on the window above the sofa, you could control the heat gain and have some views and privacy when needed. There are some very lovely small and affordable leather swivel chairs (recently saw a buttery yellow) in mail order catalogs if you wanted to add a chair on the wall opposite the patio doors; also some reasonable woven grass or jute rugs that would add to that cottage feel. Good luck with your room!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    August 30, 2013 at 8:51PM
simplify52
I'm so excited that you have a new space to decorate. Love your style probably because it's my style!!! I guess when you get finished with this space we will have to collect funds to buy you a new house to start all over again!!! I'm so McHappy I found this this morning!!!!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 10:08AM
readbetter
simplify52, so McHappy that you found my new room and, yes, small house is almost done so I will need a new one to start over!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 11:46AM
sharpkl
This reminds me of your room.

3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    September 2, 2013 at 8:12AM
bumblebee728
I love how that photo shows the outdoor area as an extension of the room!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 8:49AM
readbetter
Sharply, I agree and I like that outdoor bench. When my railings are installed, ill see if I have room for one.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 9:02AM
readbetter
Sorry, my iPad spelled your name it's own way.
Spa Parts Place
Then you have to figure out how high to hang the TV, or place it on furniture, so you can see it well. Over the fireplace is too high. You should position the TV so that your eyes are level with the bottom third of the display.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 9:28AM
sharpkl
Bumblebee, I noticed that also. It also draws the eye beyond the room and adds color. Flowers or plants.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:04AM
sharpkl
Readbetter, I love your cozy spot.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:05AM
spitfire60
I'm lost , did we get the room done?
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:08AM
bumblebee728
sharpkl, yup and a little coordinating between the outdoor and indoor furnishings, readbetter has another room at the cottage!
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:23AM
spitfire60
and what does it look like?? I like my outdoor patio too.. always create another room
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:28AM
bumblebee728
Spitfire, the outdoor spot isn't done yet, but you can scroll up and find a photo readbetter posted of it. It's very pretty.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 11:01AM
readbetter
Since we are moving outside, ill send a pic of the two stoops I had done this summer. Just awaiting the black wrought iron railings that match front originals. Grass has been seeded. When I'm on my other computer, ill send you last years backyard project of gardens.
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:10PM
readbetter
You can't clearly see the stoop behind the umbrella. It comes off kitchen
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:11PM
readbetter
Oops, I cant edit on the iPad. I am getting a white grill for the slider and new bathroom window will come next year when that room is gutted. I'm really going to need help with that shoe box of a room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:24PM
Angelina Vick
Looking forward to seeing pics of your room redone. =)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:30PM
readbetter
Thanks Angelina. Slowing down somewhat as I'm a teacher and start back tomorrow. Ill get it done though.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:32PM
Angelina Vick
You're welcome.

No hurry. Slow is better, less regrets and changing later. I like making small adjustments in my decor. Change one thing and see if I like it...then add another thing...or remove. =)

Ya, the season is here again, both of my kids are in HS this year, exciting times.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:55PM
papoodles
Thanks to Mforr- I just found out that you have another room up on houzz! I am delighted to follow this next adventure.
Good luck with the new school year, readbetter, first days are always exciting!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 3:43PM
mefor
Papoodles, I'm glad you found that one, there's another one for her guest bedroom. Can't remember the name of it, but I'm sure someone will let you know where to find it. Lovely discussions. :) my favorites
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 4:26PM
readbetter
Morris, guess what? That guest room is now that TV room. It was so crowded with the bed that I couldn't walk in the room and I still needed a place to watch tv and relax. So I returned the bed. Ill probably end up with a sofa bed when I can afford it. That little back room has seen many changes. I only have one tiny bedroom on main level and one upstairs where I sleep. A new walk in closet sort of divides the long narrow room. I have a desk and chair on other side. Might put a twin sleeper chair there. Whole house only 1100 sq ft. Have a basement to finish one day so ill keep you all busy.

I love first few days of school meeting all the kids. Also love becoming an ameteur designer in the summer.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 4:59PM
readbetter
Oops sorry iPad can't spell
mefor
That's great, readbetter, I hadn't realized that. I lost track of that thread when I stopped my notifications. It was getting too crazy. My notifications, not your thread, lol.
Morris, haha, the cat, very finicky.
Have a wonderful first day of school tomorrow. :)
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 5:11PM
hollywaterfall
Readbetter, I think I am caught up now on all your adventures. I like the bedroom in the attic. Is that all finished now? I think if this sunroom is not finished I might throw in my two cents. I think some of the pillows and rugs that are pictured above would go very well in your home. I like the starfish one especially. I also like the light blue painting idea. I might though due to cost and in keeping with the rest of the house leave it white and paint the backs of the shelves the light blue and get some airy curtains on the slider in about the same color. Also, have you thought of replacing the couch with a daybed? I will post some pics if I can find just the right thing. Best wishes.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 5:15PM
readbetter
Thanks everyone. Keep ideas coming and ill check in every night. I'm a finicky work in progress. Ill get it right.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 5:41PM
readbetter
Holly waterfall, I did have a daybed I there but was not comfortable to sit on for TV. Not against idea as long as I'm comfortable. That's my little hideout
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 5:43PM
spitfire60
can't see the pics.. all I see is the original one's and the area that is being finished outside.. what I was asking was is the Tv room done yet?
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 9:12PM
spitfire60
I love the daybed that has the big back on it.. the black one, that's what i want for the spare room when my son is on his own
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 9:14PM
readbetter
hollywaterfall, thanks, I like the daybeds - but are they comfortable to sit on everyday? Maybe a small chair would also fit. Food for thought. spitfire60, sorry for the confusion, TV room is not done. I can't make up my mind about sofa vs daybed. What happens is that I get confused when I don't have a "vision" for the room - and I don't. So keep the ideas coming as I'm open to anything. I purchased a white slipcover for that dark loveseat in the hopes of keeping it but it looked awful. Be patient with me - I'm getting there.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 2:17AM
spitfire60
Take it back if you don't like it.. get your money back to put on something else
    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    September 3, 2013 at 2:27AM
mefor
Hi readbetter, hope you're having a great first day of school and all your kids are enthusiastic. I thought I'd leave you a little eye candy to look at. I know you've already ordered pillows, but this is such a nice collection all in one place, I imagine you'd enjoy checking it out. Happy browsing :)
    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 9:40AM
readbetter
Thanks, mforr, but I don't see a link. Please send it again because it would really be nice to have some eye candy about this time of day. First day was great - hectic but great! No kids until Monday but meetings, meetings, meetings,
1 Like    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 12:59PM
bumblebee728
Until mforr gets back, here's a few photos:
Stripes on striped
Shutters
Look at the style of this sofa! Those little ruffles on the skirt! And it looks so comfy with those cushions and low arms!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:55AM
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 9:09AM
Elisa Jed
Would you consider painting the cupboards, like with a darker colored edge to add something to tie in the couch? If you got the right paint that matched the couch, a little edging could make a nice change.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 9:12AM
hollywaterfall
I like the shutter and dark blue couch that were posted by bumblebee. I also like the starfish pillow in the top of the link that mforr posted.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:20AM
mefor
Readbetter, the link I gave you, expires after one day. The pillows are at one kings lane. They have loads ofvsalesvon very interesting things. You should sign up for some of their emails, never know what interesting little McFind you might come across. I'll post another link later today, if you're unable to use that one. I think you'll like it. Have a great Friday, first week done. Catch your breath !!! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 4:13AM
bumblebee728
Beautiful parade of pillows, mforr! I saw them late last night, I hope readbetter got to see them before the time ran out.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:27AM
mefor
Weren't they lovely? And some of them were right up her alley. I think that sale runs out today, so I could post the link one last time, she may check in here before tomorrow. I don't even want her to buy any, just really thought she would enjoy a viewing :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:39AM
mefor
Just checked, it's ended. Shame. Next time around maybe. There's a French inspired pillow sale at the moment. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:40AM
bumblebee728
Ooh, can we see the French ones? I don't think readbetter will mind at all. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:53AM
mefor
This one ends on Monday, here you go bumblebee and readbetter :) enjoy https://www.onekingslane.com/sales/26053
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:56AM
Bella Home Interiors
Rita
I do agree with the suggestion of warm colors, like a mocha. I also like the couch. It fits well in the room and if you like it - dont waste money getting a new one. The idea I have is - it looks like the top open shelves can be removed from the bottom cabinet. Why not get rid of the one on the left altogether and hang the TV in that spot on an adjustable mounting bracket. It would open up the top of the bottom cabinet so you can potentially use as a work surface, if needed. Love to see you change the rug with something with a little color and coordinate with some curtains and pillows. Good luck!
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 10:02AM
bumblebee728
Ooh la la! Thanks mforr!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 10:06AM
readbetter
Loved the pillows, thanks
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 1:50PM
abbyjean
Put your feet up and smile as you made it through inservice.....whew! It will really feel good when you get to be WITH KIDS again!!!
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 2:24PM
readbetter
Hi abbyjean. Yes indeed. I have morning bus duty so am the first greeter of the day and I like to think I help set the tone of the day. I love starting my day walking up the hill to the buses. If only decorating a house was that easy!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 4:56PM
abbyjean
YOU DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!! With that attitude, it is a win win!! School is such a safe haven for so many.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 7:04PM
readbetter
I've been busy on another thread and have been neglecting this little corner of my world. This is what has happened - I put the blue striped rug in the living room because I was having a nervous breakdown with my paintings and the blue stripes and all that blue! I put the sandy rug in this room. Ok so far so good. The paintings above have been ordered.

I even ordered a big white sofa from ikea with washable slipcovers. I'm not painting and I'm not changing the wall unit shelves or tv because it is want I want and need.

So, what do you think of a white sofa - big enough for me to take a nap? Pillows that don't clash with paintings. And window treatments. New window on the way.

7 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 3:21PM
papoodles
You are making the best, most sensible decision for you- and I support you on that! I would do exactly the same, though my room would be a riot of colorful chintz, Persian rugs and needlepoint pillows..with antique, gold framed landscapes to boot. We have to be true to ourselves, don't you think?
And that big squishy sofa will be your nirvana :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 3:33PM
mefor
I love it readbetter, the white sofa with a few colorful pillows that compliment your gorgeous artwork is the best answer for the room. Cheery but true to your minimum color requirements. It's going to be lovely.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 3:43PM
Lynne Forrestal
readbetter, I can't find the paintings that you refer to. can you repost or guide me to them... I've been following, and also just scrolled up through but don't see the paintings, thanks... it sounds nice though so far,
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 3:46PM
mefor
Here Lynne, :)
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 3:52PM
Lynne Forrestal
Thanks!, now that I see these I do remember the discussion on them, just didn't realize they were decided on.
Any idea of size , framed? etc.. and placement< either side of the window? or stacked on one side?
We need someone with photo shop working on this room LOL... wish I had it myself.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 3:59PM
mefor
I'm only good at painting the walls, and that's definitely not an option here :)
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:01PM
Hi guys, just stopping in on my world tour here, but I cannot stay and read 181 comments to catch up, besides readbetter you are in good hands. Thanks for the cake and coffee...............see you on flip side;)
P.S. I like the sand rug in this room;))))
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:19PM
readbetter
Lynne, I got paintings without frames and they will each pretty much fill in the spaces on each side of the window. I like big art. We will see in a few week when they arrive.margo, that's why I changed out rugs. Those paintings will bring a lot of movement and color. The blue rug was intended there at first.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:33PM
readbetter
Sorry mforr, no painting.maybe I should post a pic when the sofa and paintings are here so you can see. Then we can move onto pillows and window treatments. Don't think I forgot you. Will be a few weeks for paintings and sofa next week. See you soon.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:38PM
hollywaterfall
readbetter-You do what's right for you but am I understanding you correctly in that you put the blue rug in the living room and the sand one her in the TV room? I personally would do the same. I think you have enough links to pillows somewhere to find something you're happy with. The paintings are great!
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 5:45PM
obytheway
The big white sofa sounds so comfy for an afternoon nap and the art work is just right. The lighter rug will be great in this room. I can't wait to see how this room turns out!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 5:58PM
Lynne Forrestal
I love the paintings with out frames too. Once they are in the room we can all judge better, but my first thought is solid colors pulled from the paintings. Perhaps colors other than the blue for the most part. Window treatments simple lines so as not to distract from the art.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:28PM
spitfire60
181 posts?? I'll be glad when I can see the final results
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:26PM
spitfire60
Sorry, not too many of anything.. it means what it says, I'll be glad to see when it's finished..
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:45PM
spitfire60
I'm anxious to see the final result
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:48PM
readbetter
Here is new window and door with grills. Still need sofa sleeper solution but later. Awaiting paintings
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 12:54PM
abbyjean
LOVE the grills and how they go with your window!!! I miss the ones we had in our other home now.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 12:59PM
Looks great readbetter;) I remember this room now, I stopped in once but it was way to far along so I just said HI;) Is that your red shed I see out the window?
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:01PM
mefor
Looks great, readbetter. This room will soon be as lovely as the living room and kitchen. Can't wait to see the artwork in there.
Margo, do you think your raccoon is visiting readbetter in her shed? ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:08PM
carolins
BEE OO TEE FUL
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:13PM
Sure, I go over to the attic and you guys run down to the TV room pfft... I see how it is..
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:14PM
NO, Chubby ( that's what we call him) has a routine snack stop here each night, he likes us:)
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:16PM
carolins
ROFL
(About the attic/TV room comment. I can see us all running up and down the stairs...)
carolins- can you translate?
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:17PM
carolins
Rolling On the Floor Laughing
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:19PM
OIGI
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:23PM
carolins
And I got that too :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:24PM
You are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo smart;))
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:28PM
carolins
Hrmpf (Which isn't a abbreviation by the way. 't Was the sound I made when I read that ;-))
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:32PM
mefor
Private party? We need you for the corner desk reveal and the measurements, lol. Calling all elves!!!! ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:37PM
readbetter
Yes, Margo, I built a big shed and use it for a summer eating cottage. Table and chairs inside. Open side barn doors and adds seating to outside patio set. Had it painted red to match house. Glad you noticed. I recently had a party for 23 people and they sat all over very comfortably.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 4:47PM
readbetter
You folks know how undecided I can be. I moved around the wall unit in this TV room, moved the TV to the living room (which I never used), layered the shell mirror on the dining room console, and ordered a platform bed frame and mattress which are going in between the cabinets and shelves.The brown loveseat shown in the pic will be moved to the basement. Now I have a guest room but still have room for all my "stuff" in the drawers. I will be giving Tim (grandson) my bedroom for several nights over the upcoming holidays and now I'll have a true bed to sleep in downstairs. With the other design plan, I had pretty rooms but no comfy place to sleep and an unused living room. With such a teeny house, I thought I should be using all the rooms to their fullest.

Now, back to you - I need help with the window/sliding door. There are room darkener shades on both but it seems a bit "cold" to me as a bedroom. I think I'll put a drape to cover door at night but what should I put on the window? A valance, Roman shade, half curtain on bottom??? It will match the drape on the door. As always, thanks. BTW, the bedding is all white and I'll add pillows to match the drapes. Want to keep it simple and calm.

Hope you are all well. I've missed our coffee chats!
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 5:43AM
Hey readbetter- natural woven roman shades reads simple and calm and beautiful;)

1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:02AM
I also like this French stripe fabric roman shade;)

1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:03AM
readbetter
Thanks, Margo. The natural woven shades add a beachy feel, I think. But what would I do with the sliding door? I could probably do without one there but I definitely need something over my head if i'm sleeping under that window.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:24AM
Rina
Love this looney community. I absent myself from a discussion for a while and then find that "need help with tiny TV room" has turned into "need help with tiny bedroom" ... and it's the same room. But the switch sounds eminently practical. It's still a charming nook.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:30AM
readbetter
Thanks, Rina. Trouble with such a teeny weeny cottage is that I have four spaces downstairs - LR/DR combo, kitchen and bedroom and one long bedroom upstairs in the attic space which I use as master and a desk/sitting area. I was not using the living room and never had a place to sleep another person. I figured I should be using that living room so stuck the big, ugly TV on top of the fireplace and I'll learn to live with it. Any thoughts on the windows?
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:38AM
abbyjean
Where did the tv fit in the living room? Would love to see it there...hint hint hint.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:53AM
Rina
Oh dear Readbetter, it's Sunday evening here and I am working on two jobs, both to do with education, you'll be glad to know, and simultaneously trying to watch television (don't tell the kids) and wondering whether the egg I boiled for 20 minutes earlier in the day for reasons of distraction is going to be choppable into an egg salad for supper. My brain is not working. Maybe I'll be better in the morning.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 7:39AM
hollywaterfall
Readbetter-I love the postion of the cabinets flanking the window. I know you are a minimalist and don't really enjoy color but as with your other rooms, I think you need a splash or two with the curtains/shades. I think a navy or aqua to carry the theme you've used in the other rooms would be appropriate. Maybe you could create a valance with a touch of some color and then have white roman shades or a thicker oilcloth type fabric to block the light when needed. This picture's border is fun:
Showhouse
And here is are roman shade pictures:
Morgan Hill
Turn of the Century Cottage
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:07AM
chookchook2
Just a general note, squishy sofas are not good for people as they get older. That is why I recommend occasional chairs with arms in a room. All the best.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:32AM
readbetter
Holly, thanks, I would not be opposed to adding a splash of blue to the room - in windows or pillows. chookchook2, I totally agree and am on a mission to find a comfy chair to watch TV on and don't really care how ugly it might be - just need one comfy place.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:55AM
readbetter
After all our work in the LR, I hope I didn't ruin it. Not ideal, but practical, and I could use everything. You know me, I'm a work in progress Sorry about the mop and open bathroom door in the pic - didn't realize they were there.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:11AM
abbyjean
THAT totally works! Thanks for sharing. You have such a nice home!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:24AM
readbetter
Thanks, abbyjean, I'm trying to get it right and be comfy at the same time.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:32AM
Rina
Good morning Readbetter. The living room looks lovely -- down the road a bit, would it be possible to put the TV on a low console to the left of the fireplace? I can't tell if there's room there. Then you'd get your mantlepiece back.

I'd put Roman shades on both door and window, very simple (Morgan Hill above), and then drapes on the window, ceiling to floor and in a light fabric so that they are not too bulky to be drawn to the sides to reveal the whole of the window. A navy/white or navy/cream print would look fine.

What happened to the art you bought for the room?
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 10:28PM
readbetter
Good ideas, Rina. Ohhhhh, the artwork! I don't really like it. Winter scene too busy and the other one might work in opposite window but very bright blue for my taste. I'm still thinking about that one. And, I thought of trying to find a low and narrow cabinet to move TV from mantle. I'm still working on that too. The room is sooooo tiny, that it must be narrow. Thanks.
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:35AM
readbetter
Hi Houzzer Friends,

Here is the final version of that back room. I love it as a guest room. Can you please offer input about window treatments. There are new black-out shades already. I don't want anything bamboo or wood. If I add something I would like matching fabric to warm it up. Thanks.

You know me by now. Lots of changes still going on so I'll send more pics soon.

Happy Holidays!
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 12:42PM
A complete change from what you wanted earlier. Good job. Why not use a roman shade, in a great print in accent colors.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 1:05PM
readbetter
Yes, funny how that room evolved! Could I get a Roman shade for small window and same print for sliding door in a drape? Blue is my accent color all over house.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 1:30PM
abbyjean
VERY nice and I soooo love a blue and white combo. Sorry I have no suggestions, just a big ol' pat on the back for a great job on this room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 2:33PM
readbetter
Hi abbyjean and thank you. The local Shade Shop is great and I think Ill have them come over with samples. More pics coming soon.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 3:13PM
readbetter
Here's one to see height.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 3:14PM
abbyjean
How nice to have a local Shade Shop......definitely have them come over!
How many days left until the holiday break? Kids still staying focused?
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 3:25PM
readbetter
Two more weeks and I've been having kids do holiday letter writing so they are staying focused pretty well. Hope you have a good one!
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:04PM
abbyjean
Two weeks left in our area, too. Holiday letter writing.....love that! Sometimes that is a lost art.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:08PM
readbetter
You are so right! They cannot even write a proper sentence. So, I'm on a mission and they love it.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:10PM
abbyjean
Texting has ruined proper sentences.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:13PM
olldroo
Hi Readbetter, just stumbled across this by accident. Sorry I missed all the fun. With respect to your curtains, I have used thermal/blackout roller blinds and then just put a simple white semi sheer gathered curtain on the window in one room and in another I used a double curtain track and put a thermal/blackout curtain on the back track and the curtain on the front one, so it allows me to just have the curtain to finish the room when I don't need the lining to block heat or cold. I can't quite see how your blind is installed, but it doesn't look like it is within the window frame which may make it difficult to put a curtain track there unless you can get an extension piece to bring the track out further. If this can be done, you could have a curtain that opens as the door does and I think you will find this very versatile.

I like the idea of the roman blind on the window but I don't think I would go too much with pattern, it could make the wall look cluttered with the shelving. Perhaps just a soft stripe for interest.

I think you have done the right thing putting the TV in your living room, I had a similar issue years ago had my TV in another room which was always in the way and I had no room for comfy seating and the lounge room was never used. It is one thing to decorate rooms to look nice and another to really use your rooms.

Looking at your deck too, I think I would consider a table and comfy chair out there - somewhere to sit in nice weather for brunch, to balance your cheque book or just laze in the sun with your crocheting .
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:50PM
readbetter
Hi oldroo! Yes, with such a tiny house, I thought I should be using both bedrooms and the living room so here it is - finally. Thanks for the good ideas. I have a white rocking chair that I put there but it is in the shed for winter. I'll look for simple fabrics. Enjoy the holidays.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:14PM
olldroo
You too readbetter, I just need to stay off Houzz and get organised.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:44PM
hollywaterfall
Readbetter-welcome back! I love that room and I love that you are getting the kiddos to write properly. That is an important skill to maintain. I think something simple in a shade would be appropriate for the small window. I am not sure about the slider. I will come back with some pics later.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:27AM
readbetter
Hi holly, I'm sending a new pic. I put some colorful pillow on bed. Maybe some simple white something on windows. Maybe I can get away with nothing.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:37AM
Readbetter- no, just one blue star')
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:39AM
readbetter
Hi Margo, what do you mean.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:14AM
readbetter
Margo, do you mean keep only the starfish pillow? If so, then what on slider and window? You've got me thinking I need a little color in there? Or, no? Is it less cluttered with none or white?
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:19AM
hollywaterfall
I like the new pillows but I think Margo is saying they are not necessary and just the one starfish pillow is better with the rest white. There are 4 different picture ideas above. It depends on what you like. I don't know if you would want to put so much dark blue on the sliders as the last (bottom right) picture. I think you need something more that light airy white on the slider though.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:19AM
abbyjean
What do you have now? White blinds and sliders? Could we see it with those closed if you do?
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 1:05PM
designerparexcellance
As an interior designer, my suggestion would be to have your carpenter build in your larger screen tv by removing parts of the shelving on either side of the unit. Also remove the top molding and take the shelves to the ceiling. Cover the TV with cabinet doors, same color as your current cabinets or paint every thing a soft cream color. One very comfortable nicely upholstered chair in a linen stripe with a separate ottoman is all you really need for seating and it will open up the space visually if it is not overcrowded with furniture too big for the room or out of proportion for a small room. Keep the walls light, in a cream or light taupe, and go neutral print on the chair. A small table with a drawer in it and a lamp behind it will make a cozy reading corner when you don't want to watch tv. Be sure to include a neutral patterned throw for extra comfort. Art on the walls is very important, but don't overdo it with too many, or art that is too contrasting. The more contrast you have in there, the smaller the room becomes. Go for either a few nicely framed original pieces or some soft abstact prints in brass or silver simple frames. Accessorize the shelves with a combination of books and special pieces you like. Window and slider should be treated with simple draperies to the floor, on cream colors rods. Since you have a louvered window treatment, use that on the smaller window to give privacy, but those draperies can be stationary. The ones for the slider can be traverse draperies on a matching rod with the window. Repaint your entire unit to match the walls. What you need for a room like this is serenity, not alot of "stuff" in the way. You could even have a built-in desk in the closet, but keep the doors on the closet and paint the same as the room.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 1:47PM
readbetter
Abbyjean, the slider and window both have pull down blackout shades. As you can see from above, the neighbor is close to that little window.

Designer, thank you for all the interesting ideas but the room has just been gutted and rebuilt and all furniture is new so there will be no more construction. The room is way too tiny for anything else - nine foot square! I've been under construction for six years and have one more year to finish. I'm done with the noise and mess. So hopefully I can add a few touches to make is cozy.

Thanks everyone.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:07PM
readbetter
Oops, abbyjean, I forgot. Just these ugly shades that are new and must stay. I was hoping to add a little warmth.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:09PM
readbetter
Omg, just uploaded an app upgrade and it's awful.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:09PM
abbyjean
But how nice you have those blinds and that they are black out ones, too. I am guessing roman shades then?

Ya know, I am dying to see....is it your neighbor's house.....that we got to visit with the pumpkins on display a few months back and the one pic was sent for a new frame......I would love to see it NOW! Any chance you could knock on the door with a plate of goodies and your camera? LOL
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:50PM
readbetter
Oh boy, abbyjean, I'll get arrested as a peeping tom. Haha! I'm trying to remember it.

Roman shade that pulls down or stays put? I'm guessing for small window. Then matching drape on slider? Do you remember the white with blue stripe from Pottery Barn we looked at for upstairs? Something like that perhaps? Or I can go to the Shade Shop and look at fabrics.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:59PM
abbyjean
We had this disagreement about the color of pumpkins and maybe it was a dress that was being framed? The room was all white and striking! I mentioned centering a piece of furniture and you said you had just talked her out of that look.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 3:01PM
abbyjean
I would love that striped one in this spare room!!! And I see no reason to have the roman shade pull down...just some color at the top....so maybe it would even be more of a valance then? And yes, matching drapes on the slider to tie the two windows together.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 3:02PM
readbetter
I think it was my friend and neighbor, phancynancy. She's around the corner not next door. Her house looks great and she has little lights on her indoor ficus.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 3:24PM
abbyjean
YES! Phancynancy is the one! I bet it looks special for the holidays right now.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:04PM
readbetter
Yes, very dainty like her.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:10PM
readbetter
Abbyjean, are you in the US? Starting to snow here in east coast Long Island. Going to be a messy morning. Glad I'm only a mile from school.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:13PM
olldroo
Good morning Readbetter - I like the extra cushions on the bed and if you keep them there I don't think you will need any extra colour at all. A plain white roman blind and white curtains will keep the room light and fresh looking but maybe a fabric with some structure to it for some interest. My only concern with using colour in the curtains especially, is that it will darken your room - the blinds will already do that, but by keeping the curtains light then you have options while still maintaining your privacy.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:17PM
abbyjean
I am in the US......midwest. Bet it looks pretty with the snow coming down! We got some on Wednesday and the lights on the outside trees truly sparkle now. Had a 2 hour late start on Thursday to get the roads cleaned off for the bus routes. Just survived a couple of days with waaaaay below zero temps and it feels like spring today at 8 degrees!
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:17PM
readbetter
Brrrrr! I won't complain. Going upstairs to look at drapes on my iPad under covers. Having work done up there and can't wait to show you all when done. You'll be surprised. Stay warm and I'll let you know what I decide. I'll see what Shade Shop offers too. The owners live in town and give us teachers a discount because their children all went to school here.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:33PM
readbetter
Hi oldroo. I will keep that in mind. You know how long it takes me to make a decision! I'll check out a few things but won't go too dark at all. I love the whites.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:36PM
abbyjean
How nice is that, to have a business appreciate teachers with a discount. Makes me think you need to give them your business.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:50PM
readbetter
I will at least go look and get their opinion. They know my house and have installed all my shades in new windows. Plus then I won't have to worry about installation and can get everything the right size. We'll see. I'll let you know. Thanks for all your interest and help. I'm going to go play Words with Friends with my sister.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:02PM
olldroo
I'm not liking all the snow stories I read here, it is 86 degrees here today and despite my dislike of the heat, I will suffer it any day over snow.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:04PM
readbetter
Good Morning, Olldroo. Not much snow but I eye rain now which will be a mess going out. Wow, 86! Is that normal for this time of year? I'm putting off getting ready as long as I can. Instead of thinking of fabric, I'm wondering where I put my boots. Have a nice sunny day,
    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 1:14AM
olldroo
Yes, we are right in summer now but the temps have only been in the mid teens C for the last couple of weeks making us wonder if summer went elsewhere. By next month we could be up around 100 - how high it will go this year, no one really knows. Boots (or shoes) - yep search for the regularly.
    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 5:32AM
hollywaterfall
Readbetter-you should keep the shades and definitely put up some sort of valance. It's nice that you know people so you have help with shades and fabrics. I am excited to see the upstairs that you have hinted at. Keep warm and cozy. We got a little snow here in PA and then a little ice to go on top. Pretty but messy.
    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 8:00AM
readbetter
Here are a few pics of room now as a guest room. I am thinking of keeping only little starfish pillow and getting drapes and Roman shade made in a white and blue simple print. Will look at fabric after Christmas. What do you think?

I found the little tree packed in the basement. I'm decorating it with waterford collectible seahorses and eventually little sea things that sparkle.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 3:31AM
carolins
Lovely!
Merry Christmas :-)
    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 3:34AM
olldroo
Keep to the plain white roman shade, you have a lot of options there, don't tie yourself down.

Merry Christmas to you too Carolins.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 4:23AM
readbetter
Good advice, as always. Thanks olldroo.. Happy holidays!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 4:42AM
olldroo
I hadn't seen that quilt before, be a pity not to use that to ring changes from time to time and a pattern in the blind could restrict you.

Happy Holidays to you too readbetter - I wished you that on your other thread, but we can cover all bases. :))
    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    December 16, 2013 at 5:27AM
hollywaterfall
:) Lovely! Happy holidays!
    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    December 16, 2013 at 6:33AM
bubbasgma
Lovely. Nicely done, as always, readbetter!! Happy Holidays!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    December 16, 2013 at 6:36AM
abbyjean
That little tree with those decorations? Perfect in this room! Sounds like you have a plan in place for 2014.
    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 11:41AM
readbetter
Thanks, abbyjean. I like themed trees and, when I started to decorate my cottage in a beachy theme, I treated myself to some waterford wine glasses called seahorse. Then a matching bowl for dining table. Now I've found the seahorse ornaments. What can I say, I'm hooked on the little. Ute creatures! Look them up some time.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 12:34PM
abbyjean
Waterford wine glasses.....ultimate luxury! And then ornaments to boot? SCORE!
    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 12:40PM
readbetter
I meant cute, you know. Can't type today. Only a few of those really fine things make me very happy. Luxury, YES! Nice treat but you know me - I don't like "stuff."
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 2:09PM
Television over a fireplace?
Is it ok to put a Television over a Gas Fireplace.
frauleinleni
My husband has an outdated television set and stereo system I need help with the room
Somebody asked me to send another picture of the fireplace...
marybraue
Fireplaces and Televisions....
Need some advice on how to incorporate stone fireplace...
Cindy Bowers
How high can I install a television over my fire place before it becom
I have to many focal points in my great room, the fireplace,...
julesheath
Need help to camouflage a television set!
How do you disguise the large digital television when...
pamelaallingham
Help me salvage this budget bedroom update!
So. Our master bedroom. After two year here, we finally...
Laura
PLEASE help: Exterior Rock, Window Trim and Shutters
Hi All, I feel like something is missing or wrong...
mamabear03
Can I remove half a porch?
Will it look weird if I remove half the porch and put...
sunnysideforever
bathroom faucets dilemma
Thanks in advance for guidance. Maybe too many...
shawncostello
Challenging ensuite need MB ideas besides hubbys.. "it needs a torch"
ISSUES: No focal point for bed(realtor sold same model...
mcatmoore