Need some wisdom for external staircase please
pv237
Hello,
I am just about to buy a flat, which is above a shop and has a staircase to access it (photos attached). The staircase however is rotted away and need serious fixing or fully replacing. Have been trying to figure out what to best replace it with (materials in particular), and cannot decide which one is best/most practical, whether wood, stainless steel, or whether I should try to make it of brick or concrete or something of the sort. Am also hoping to use the space underneath to make a bike shed. It is based in Cambridge UK. Any words of wisdom would be very appreciated. thanks!
Jamie Stemen
Have you given thought to using composite decking material? It will stand up to the weather plus you can cut it to any length. I am using it my current home and I'm happy with it.
August 25, 2013 at 11:41am      Thanked by pv237
Dennis Hartford
Since a bike shed be useful for you, I would stick with either treated wood, or composite. Treated is much cheaper, but needs maintenance, where as composite does not. Construction costs are also cheaper with wood as compared to concrete or brick.
August 25, 2013 at 11:52am      Thanked by pv237
brickln
I would do it in plain metal. Once and right.

August 25, 2013 at 11:53am      Thanked by pv237
pv237
Thanks. Didnt know that existed. will look them up. Any names or something you could direct me to?
August 25, 2013 at 11:56am   
pv237
Someone mentioned the possibility of using a metal frame, and then use wooden/composite steps and decking. Does that make sense or would it make the whole thing more complicated/expensive?
August 25, 2013 at 11:58am   
TMK Remodeling
Pressure treated framing with composite decking treads. Buy a rail kit made of composite materials. Metal and masonry materials and installation multiple times the cost. You will need side and center stringers made of pt lumber.
August 25, 2013 at 3:47pm     
brickln
If you're speaking of the metal stairs, pv, there's more info if you click on the link. Your staircase is a little complex, so this option would be expensive. If money is a factor, best to have the current setup replicated in pressure treated wood and stained. Despite its current state, it is an appears well crafted.
My pressure treated double decks have withstood 20 New England winters and are still solid, if that helps your decision. If you could possibly add a roof, it will help tremendously.
August 25, 2013 at 6:43pm   
nwduck
I would get a professional's assessment of the basic stair structure to see if it is ok, and if some maintenance (checking screws, support pieces, condition of wood at the foundation supports, treating wood for protection) will prolong its life. Oftentimes it is the horizontal parts that go first, as they suffer more impact from standing water, as can the bases of the supports. If possible to go with the existing basic structure, replace the horizontal members/handrail with composite material in complementary color. Rebuilding--TMK's post above is the ticket. You should be able to enclose that bit under the highest landing for a bike locker...and maybe even do something a little decorative, as it leads the way to your flat.
August 25, 2013 at 11:17pm   
Should we paint interior doors in newly painted paneled den?
We are in the process of priming our paneled den to...
Need help with my kitchen
We just bought a 1925 Craftsman style bungalow. The...
Kitchen Layout
Dear Houzzers, I need some advice on my kitchen-in-the-making....
Modern mudroom storage attractive enough for dining room
We live in a small home with an open first floor floor...