Accent door color?
maddiegirl210
Just painted our shutters black, any suggestions for a accent color for the front door?? Thanks!
Donna Thomas Vintage Chic Furniture
plum, dark olive, dark red, mustard yellow ???
August 28, 2013 at 3:51am        Thanked by maddiegirl210
Timberlane Inc.
We have seen many customers go with brighter colors for their front door when they paint their shutters black. A very popular door color choice to make a statement is a bright red, but what about a burgundy or an olive green like Donna Thomas Vintage Chic Furniture mentioned? Do you want the color to "POP" or simply just accent?
August 28, 2013 at 5:38am      Thanked by maddiegirl210
The Color People
Historically shutters and doors should be the same. This house is pretty formal and understated so I would keep the door black. You don't want it to look cheeky. It is a gray house after all and you can't expect it to have a lot of pizzazz. So great flowers and colorful plants are the key.
Landscaping experts, suggestions?
August 28, 2013 at 2:21pm      Thanked by maddiegirl210
maddiegirl210
Thanks for the all suggestions! I like the burgundy idea! We still have to landscape. Trying to jeep it simple with two plam trees on the right, and then some grassses and leafy stuff on the left. We live in Charleston, SC so I'm trying to keep the landscaping consistent with the ear.
August 29, 2013 at 5:29am     
Timberlane Inc.
Historically, yes shutters and doors should be the same color, but it is all up to you and your design preferences.
August 29, 2013 at 5:34am   
maddiegirl210
Think I want something a little different -- so I'm up for the colored door. Thansk again!
August 29, 2013 at 6:11am   
maddiegirl210
Was just thinking again...woudl the mustard yellow be too much? Think I'm looking for a pop!
August 29, 2013 at 6:12am   
NexG Interiors
I prefer ash color.. or otherwise choose some contrast color to what you have painted.

interiors decoration | chennai modular kitchens | chennai interiors
Timberlane Inc.
Here is an image of a mustard yellow front door and shutter match. This is in Philadelphia and on an old brick Row Home. We are positive it will pop, but not sure if it will clash too much with the siding of your home.
August 29, 2013 at 6:16am   
maddiegirl210
Good point about the clashing...think I'm back to the burgundy or maybe a gray??
August 29, 2013 at 6:34am   
Christina
If you're keeping the storm door, a dark or muted shade wouldn't really be noticeable from the street. If you paint it a nice, lighter color, I would make sure to tie it in somehow with your landscaping, otherwise it might stand out and seem cheeky as The Color People said. For example, if you painted the door yellow, you could replace the two smaller boxwoods that flank the entry and put some potted plants there, incorporating the yellow to a degree into the pots. It will keep it balanced and help it look intentional.

Traditional Exterior by Other Metro General Contractors Van's Lumber & Custom Builders, Inc.

Or, maybe planting something like ever-blooming hydrangeas and picking a color out of the flowers to tie it all together?
August 29, 2013 at 7:07am   
Kitchen granite
My wife and I are doing a new build. We are roof tight....
need help with choosing a colour to paint wardrobe in master bedroom
I have mirrored bedside tables and a mirored dressing...
Photo wall help
Which wall? Can I use different frames as I did already?...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...