What to do with my basement

Ar LiaAugust 25, 2013
We are building a new house with a basement. There is no windows, only two small high ones at the front. I want to make it as cozy and looking huge as possible and thinking what design & color scheme it should be, also the furniture-arrangement. I am thinking of putting semi-permanent "walls" using aluminum frames & filmed-glass (for safety & privacy) for the entertainment area.
thanks a bunch for ANY input regarding the basement.
Ar Lia
recent state of the basement
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:13PM
Becca Darling
What is your budget? I, too, am thinking about having work done on my basement.

Right now, it is painted, but probably just for dampness, all one color, walls and floors - sort of pale blue-green. Ceilings are high, but duct work, etc. showing.

Windows are in wells. They had been painted, were peeling, and to avoid costly labor or replacements, we ordered window well scenery and had it cut to fit the half circles of the wells. We made grommets in the scenery tops and hung them on the wells with wire, rather than the flimsy Velcro that came with the scenery roll. I like how it turned out.

Considering: repainting to form waterproof base on walls and floors; building waterproof "boards" part-way up walls to limit damage in case of flooding; reconsideration / possible replacement of Watch Dog back-up system and sump pump to be certain of no flooding.

Plan to have flooring slightly up off floor. Might use something cheap and easy to replace like self-stick look-like wood flooring.

Have electricity checked. If I plug in two heaters it trips the breaker.

Not sure what will be put on walls or ceilings.

Have Pottery Barn indoor-outdoor, many piece sectional couch, dark wood with cherry red cushions, great brightly colored patterned and plain pillows, red matching chaise lounge, red edged grass cloth large rug, and dark console, coffee and end tables.

Also have a large space used for crafts. Had an extra large rectangular counter top that matches my upstairs kitchen counters and island, bought a TV console and had carpenters affix console to bottom center of counter top. Makes a fantastically sturdy crafts table.

Have dark wood, attractive tall storage cabinets for craft supplies and in between the two, an old dark wood dresser. Have dark wood bookcases and another chest of drawers. An extra, long wood table extends the length of the crafts table when needed.

Finally, outside this end of the large basement, are four heavy sets of gray metal shelves with created wood shelves. These are used for more craft supplies and other things.

There is an area already set up to hang many coats or seasonal clothing storage. It is open and will need to be closed in.

No bathroom us planned because of cost and there is one across from the top of the stairs.

Don't know if any of this helps you. Am interested in seeing what others will say.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Ar Lia    August 26, 2013 at 12:22AM
gnecg
Here is my tips I want to share with you about my basemant & something you can choose with to brighten up.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ar Lia    August 26, 2013 at 1:17AM
carolins
Think about lighting. Lots of recessed can lights for example. But also uplighters along the walls.

Arched Mountain Home · More Info

Contemporary Basement · More Info

If you search the ideabooks section of houzz and type in the search box something like lighting, or uplighters...

I would keep the colourscheme light but warm.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Ar Lia    August 26, 2013 at 1:57AM
Ar Lia
Wow! your basements look great!!! I don't know if I can pull off such great designs & interior.
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:45AM
Ar Lia
gnecg : I love the lighting above the island. it's super stylish.
carolins: The basement looks so spacious. I wish I had space for a pool table. I love the seating area you attached on the reply. you are right, lighting is everything.
thedarlingsbecca: sounds great (and a big job) for your project. I live in Asia, my budget would be in lower end for those who live in America. I will try my best to utilize my old furniture into the basement. Plus I want to build a children's loft on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:49AM
Trying to finish the basement, how do I make the most of my space?
We have about 1600 sqft of space we would love to do...
zmudzinski
We finished our basement, now what to do with it?
The furniture in the pics will go. Any ideas for decorating...
aricia13
how to have a dry basement
What's the best way to stop a leaky basement?
adb3
Need advice for remodeling basement. PLEASE HELP!
I have no idea what to do with my basement!. I'm definitely...
pratikp93
Would love to do my basement in my new house in a OSU theme.
We have alot of Ohio State art work and there is an...
nursernlady
What would suit my house - painting exterior windows
I'm looking to buy some aluminium bifold doors for...
Sarah Day
Need your help completing this room, please.
I appreciate all your advice and feedback. I would...
sums4you
Which Cabinets to Choose
We are upgrading our small kitchen in our beach house...and...
ehmmatz
Who's responsible - Developer or Homeowner
We recently moved into a brand new subdivision where...
vytec1
What Kind of Wall Storage Unit in this Living Room?
Hi everyone! We have a long, slightly off-white wall...
hemp19