Need help with a garage design.

Suzie WhyteAugust 26, 2013
We plan on building a garage and not sure if it should be detached or not. Either way the issue is the roofline of our home and how to design a garage that won't stick out like a sore thumb. Any ideas?
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
Hi Suzie, Could you share where you are located? There may be other issues which affect the kind of garage you can build. If in the US, have you checked your local zoning ordinance for set-back requirements (distance to the property line) in your yard and whether you are allowed to build a garage on your property?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzie Whyte    August 27, 2013 at 10:32AM
Christopher James Interiors
What's behind the wooden fence? I am thinking an addition on the right side of the house similar to the one on the left with the 4 windows, with the roof pitch at the same angle as the one at the highest point but lower down the side wall about 1/4 the wall length to add interest. Depending on what the lower floor houses you could leave a walkway that leads to the backyard. Drive way is in place already. Copy the the same vertical lines as in the left side near the main entry on the garage door. Those are just some ideas its hard to tell without seeing the current plans. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzie Whyte    August 27, 2013 at 10:51AM
lkg1984
This booklet has nice solutions for dealing with split-level houses - there might be an idea in it for yours. http://www.dakotacda.org/pdf/splitvisions.pdf
    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzie Whyte    August 27, 2013 at 11:28AM
Suzie Whyte
Linda - I live in Ontario Canada and we have looked into zoning requirements and can build a garage as long as we ensure there is 3 ft to the property line.
Christopher - I should have said that the existing fence will be removed. It's hard to see but behind the fence to the left there is a 14 ft sliding door. The previous owner converted the garage to a family room pannelling and all. I do not want to convert it back because of the angle to drive in and out especially in the winter. We are still trying to decide what to use the room for. I like your ideas and had a similiar one but am having a hard time convincing my husband. He's pretty adamant that he wants a detached 20x24 ft garage built towards the back of the property with a carport in front of it. I of course, want an attached garage but that's my battle to win. We just bought this 4 level sidesplit four months ago as an estate sale. It was built in 1960 and has never been updated so we have our work cut out for us. Thank you all for responding. Have a good weekend.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:23AM
Need help finally adding a Garage
need ideas for design to match the rest of the house,...
mdalvarez
Need help designing an additional garage to our house.
We have a lovely home on a pond, with post and beam...
geysan
Need help designing garage/carport
Stumped on what rood line should be next to this house....
Carol Flowers
Need help for exterior re-design, garage too big
We are thinking of buying this house, but would want...
lbll5
Need design help on a bathroom and turning a garage into two bedrooms!
I do not have photos of the two rooms identified above;...
Melissa Gregg
Exterior paint ideas for odd house!
This dull, monotone brown house needs some curb appeal....
Jen
Need help picking the backsplash for maple kitchen!
Hello, I had initially planned on painting my kitchen...
Remodel Junkie
Need advice pulling this room together!
So many dilemmas in this one! I moved into this rental...
rr24
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Please help make my Master Bedroom beautiful!
Hi! I am trying to create a spa-like feel in my Master...
Karen Peters