Who might be this kitchen designer?
camey0388
This kitchen was posted by acrpho on houzz but no longer has an account. Does anyone know who might be the arch. designer of this kitchen floor plan. We are building our home and my wife loves it! Thanks
Main Line Kitchen Design
The kitchen isn't particularly well done, it's the architectural features that distinguish the space and make it beautiful. The high coffered ceilings with the giant eyebrow transom. Also the vast space that allows such a large island. To achieve this type kitchen design you are going to need a multimillion dollar home. Show your builder and architect the photo and they will know if 12 foot high ceilings and those windows etc are out of the question. If not any higher end kitchen designer can create a similar and probably better kitchen design. This one looks like it was done by the architect and not a kitchen designer (the architect did do a great job on the house though).
August 27, 2013 at 6:29AM   
kathy
@ Main Line - Just being nosy - but can I ask what you don't like about the kitchen layout?

After reading your comments, the thing that jumps out at me is distance between cooktop, sink and fridge. Anything else obvious that we should think about when planning our kitchens - even if only our imaginary dream kitchen?
August 27, 2013 at 6:57AM   
Main Line Kitchen Design
@Kathy
No usable countertop on either side of the range. Hearth or "Grotto" is unimaginative and too bulky and square. Looks like duct for hood runs across ceiling under coffer. Countertop and cabinetry to the right of the wall ovens is neither useful or particularly attractive. I don't have the floor plan for the home but there is probably a basement door or other doorway entering the room to the right of the wall ovens. If at all possible that doorway should be moved, it is dropping people off right in the middle of the work area. If there is no doorway there then the design is flat out terrible, because the cabinetry and tops should be turning the corner in a completely more functional layout. That's from what I can see, and is why I said it looked like a kitchen designer had very little input on the layout.

The most beautiful homes often have the most poorly designed kitchens because the architects are the kitchen designers and you truly can't be great at everything in this world. To believe you can be a great part time kitchen designer is not realistic. Most people accept that they need a mechanic to work on their car, an accountant to do their books, a hair stylist to do their hair, and of course doctors and dentists to work on their bodies. Unfortunately many architects, real estate agents, contractors, interior designers, and homeowners believe that they can come up with just as professional a kitchen design and even save money designing a kitchen themselves. Their kitchens look to professional kitchen designers like what their hair would look like if they cut it themselves, and they usually spend more money and spend it less effectively than if they had our help.
August 27, 2013 at 8:19AM     
apple_pie_order
@Main Line: thanks for the explanation. A professional eye can see quickly what is well designed. Love the windows and the photography. The range area would bug me no end.
August 27, 2013 at 9:13AM   
kathy
thanks for the lesson, Main Line. Hopefully, the original poster and wife look at enough pictures to recognize what they like about this kitchen and then get good advice about their future kitchen.
August 27, 2013 at 12:48PM   
Double /triple garage design
Hi all, we are presently knocking down our existing...
Master bedroom flooring
Is tile that looks like wood planks ok for a master...
Granite for kitchen
I need help with choosing granite with black kitchen...
Bathroom in the new house needs help. I love the old subway tiles
This is the bathroom in the house we just bought. I...
paint color for brick house
I want to paint the brick here. I'm leaning towards...