2 story great room help
jsbishara
-Thinking of putting in a chandelier to make the room more cozy, any recommendations?
-Do I need a larger rug, what colors?
-Tips to give the room a more cozy feel
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
This is what I would do to make it "cozy"
1) Get rid of those curtains.
2) Re-arrange the furniture, perhaps the sofa can face the window, put a sofa table with two lamps behind it. and the chairs will have more room,
3) Put the floor lamp next to the rearranged chair.
4) Consider getting a lighter rug with a large pattern..like a Moroccan trellis or a Fun Zebra Print, or Floral, if you are up for it
5) Hang New Light Linen Curtains from all the way from the ceiling to floor, like in thi image

[houzz=Jane Lockhart Interior Design]
7) A Chandelier is a Great Idea, or maybe a cascade of pendants?
[houzz=Bocci 14.26 – 26 Pendant Canopy]

[houzz=Amy Butler Hand-Tufted Wool Rug, Coventry]

Wall Color is fine
Get brighter pillows and accessories.

[houzz=Maze (multi) graphic zig zag throw pillow 20" x 20"]

[houzz=Denton Lamp]
August 26, 2013 at 8:16AM        Thanked by jsbishara
jsbishara
Thank you, what about the loveseat? should I move the library table?
August 26, 2013 at 8:27AM   
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Put the library table behind a sofa (when it's moved) as a sofa table, put the two chairs by the paintings, with a floor lamp on the side and a new small end table in the middle, put the loveseat (with two new lamps and two end tables) where the two chairs are now.
August 26, 2013 at 8:31AM        Thanked by jsbishara
Dar Eckert
It is a good conversational area but too cramped together. Move the library table and move the sofa to that location. Two chairs by window. The rug will need to be adjusted to fit better and may include turning it 90 degrees to fit between the sofa and fireplace.

Remove curtains.

Also fresh colors like Aggie suggested would do wonders.
August 26, 2013 at 8:37AM        Thanked by jsbishara
Yes, remove the valance curtain treatment. For softness and light control at the windows try motorized Silhouette shades from Hunter-Douglas. It will be an investment but worth it. I do think the furniture arrangement is not working because of the library table. Everything seems to be too close to the fireplace side and the two chairs with their backs to the TV make no sense. I would put the sofa on that wall under the picture arrangement. You may have to lower them to be within 5-6" of the sofa back. Pull the rug so the front feet of the sofa are on it and put the hassock/coffee 18" from the sofa. Loveseats make for difficult arranging, so if you don't need that amount of seating, I'd remove it entirely and put the two chairs there instead. They'll need a table between them to serve the purpose of a coffee table (putting coffee cups, cocktails, etc.) If you like them angled, then add a round or oval table. If you want to square them up use a square of rectangular table with them. On the window end of the rug I'd set the library table and a chair with its back to the windows. You should have room to put it entirely on the rug. You'll have to play a bit to get the rug right. If you must keep the loveseat, I'd place it on the end with the library table behind it unless the table is wider than it is.Try to keep the entire rug and furniture arrangement balanced with the windows and FP - that's the tricky part.
Eclectic Home Office
Portfolio of Work
August 26, 2013 at 8:42AM      Thanked by jsbishara
Dar Eckert
Florida Beach Home
Santa Lucia Preserve, Carmel
Tanzania

A chandelier would certainly add warmth but make sure it is big and bold.
August 26, 2013 at 8:47AM     
Snaggy
Why do they make these rooms so high !?
August 26, 2013 at 9:02AM   
jsbishara
The table is 2.5feet by 5feet, and the columns pose somewhat of a problem
August 26, 2013 at 10:17AM   
turboe5
I think this has two different threads going.
August 26, 2013 at 12:07PM   
Ah Ha! Now we get the picture! Forget about the column end and put the table at the window end. You are going to have a much roomier space in no time. I'm assuming that the columns align somewhat with the vertical center of the windows. Step 1) table to the window end, 2) sofa to the wall, 3) love, chairs and hassock off the rug, 4) rug so edge is under sofa, 5) hassock/coffee 18" from sofa, 6) love to the window end in front of the table 7)chairs to the column end of the rug, squared up, 8) table and lamp right of the FP to between the chairs, 9) lower the art right of the FP to have its center 60" above the floor. After that, we can simply tweak the accessories and positioning!
August 26, 2013 at 12:07PM     
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Even if you pull the Sofa away from the fireplace wall and expand the whole seating arrangement?
August 26, 2013 at 12:10PM   
dlbconductor
Decoenthusiaste absolutely has the right idea. Everything simply needs to breathe. Use the whole room and allow space between the furniture. It should be spacious enough to walk in front of the fireplace or through the furniture arrangement.

Get rid of valences and drapes. I would put white plantation shutters on the lower windows and doors; leave the lower clerestory windows and all upper windows bare. If money is no object, put motorized plantations shutters on all the windows.

Lower art work behind the sofa to start six to eight inches above sofa back. The center of paintings should ideally be at standing eye level.

Great room. You are almost there. Double height ceilings are not always easy to arrange.
August 26, 2013 at 2:55PM        Thanked by jsbishara
janeinfo
I have an 18 foot ceilinged room similar to yours except mine has 8 sides with 4 sides being open. I just had an Ethan Allen designer come and totally re-do my room. Love the result. However, you probably do not want to buy all new furniture. My kids are now off the payroll so it was a treat for us. We put two 24 inch wide window panels all the way up on the outermost windows made from fabric that almost matches the wall color. I would flank your two arm chairs on either side of the fireplace. Secondly, put your sofa table in front of the windows and put the love seat up against it. I would move your sofa all the way back to the wall. Your walking space now is in front of the sofa, but you open up your room a lot! Also, I agree with above poster that you need some new throw pillows. Your furniture is a great base. We ended up choosing a large rug (9X 13) but we did have the option of putting the rug under the sofa legs only. Good luck!
August 26, 2013 at 4:09PM      Thanked by jsbishara
jsbishara
Thanks for all the great suggestions, played around with the furniture placement, there is a door leading to the patio on the bank of windows, will need to look at window coverings, maybe artwork placement, and lighting.
August 26, 2013 at 5:49PM     
amcox_us
Great suggestions! Huge improvement with the furniture move. @Decoenthisiaste - Silhouette sounds great. I think wood blinds will work as well. I've considered both myself, but I'm unsure if the mechanical lifting device will work well with the wood blinds.
Thoughts?
August 26, 2013 at 8:03PM      Thanked by jsbishara
As predicted, it looks more spacious with the rug and furniture centered in the space. The main issue now is that the two chairs and small table are too visually "light" to counter balance the weightiness of the massive FP opposite them. The second issue with this arrangement is that the room appears to be "blockaded" by the massive sofa and library table combination, rather than welcoming and open as it would be with the looser arrangement of the two chairs at the column end of the room. A larger table surface, preferably one table from the nesting set, would provide adequate area for those seated in the chairs to place their drinks. The present table is too small even if the lantern were removed. The library table now finds itself half in and half out of the room and may require some circling around it to pass through the space between it and the columns. Tweaking needed.
@amcox_us - would want to investigate the mechanicals of the lifting devices via the companies that produce them. They do look great though!
August 26, 2013 at 9:18PM        Thanked by jsbishara
amcox_us
Hunter Douglas
August 27, 2013 at 3:56AM   
jsbishara
How large of a table between the chairs?
August 27, 2013 at 4:01AM   
I think one, or both of the stacked nesting tables right of your fireplace would be a good size and height.
August 27, 2013 at 4:09AM      Thanked by jsbishara
Littman Bros Lighting
With such tall ceilings I think an oversized chandelier will really tie the room together. You could even keep the dark rug in place and lighten the room with a shaded chandelier or one with a lighter finish.

I would consider putting the 3 seat sofa opposite the fireplace and the two chairs where the loveseat is now, and the love seat where the 3 seat sofa is. I think this will tie the seating area together.

How high are the ceilings? What are the dimensions of the rug? I would be happy to send over some lighting suggestions. Feel free to email me danielle@littmanbros.com

Regards,
Danielle Littman
August 27, 2013 at 8:54AM      Thanked by jsbishara
jsbishara
Rug is 9X13 room approximately 21x17, thanks
August 27, 2013 at 11:46AM   
Delmarva Blinds & Shutters
For the motorized wood blinds amcox_rus suggested hunter dougles and normally I would suggest them to but as a alternative I would go with Somfy they specialize in motorization.because of the lift system hunter has it may be to heavy for there lift system.Your windows are so high you are going to want to get a detached satellite eye.In blinds the satellite eye is normally in the heads rail and that is about 10 ft up.So you don't have to go upstairs to hit the ultra violet eye you can get a satellite eye. Somfy also uses radio waves instead of the ultra violet.
August 27, 2013 at 12:20PM     
I hear the practical side of all that Delmarva, but we get exposed to enough radio waves without deliberately bringing them into the home. The power of electronic living is eating our lunch and don't even realize it.
August 27, 2013 at 12:42PM     
jsbishara
Any recommendations for traditional chandeliers?
August 27, 2013 at 12:44PM     
You might want to install a chandelier that echos the style statement of your home's exterior, but you'll need something with enough presence to stand up to the stone and the glass. Also consider the other metals used in your home and whether or not they should influence the chandy.
August 27, 2013 at 1:29PM   
Littman Bros Lighting
I have several suggestions that would look great - what price point do you want to be at?
August 27, 2013 at 2:38PM   
Scottish Stained Glass
Have you thought about stained glass for the top (transom) windows? Below are a few examples. Please let me know if you would like more information: 1-866-846-5758. Thank you!
August 27, 2013 at 4:24PM   
sharpkl
How would it look if you switched the sofa and chairs. Just have front feet of sofa on rug. Move sofa table behind love seat. Still room to walk out doors and nice place for table. Chairs will balance love seat and open up room.
August 27, 2013 at 5:24PM   
janeinfo
I have seen several suggestions about blinds or shutters. You might like them, but on my wall I saw a neighbor with same floor plan with the plantation shutters on the two story windows and in my opinion, it seemed like a LOT of horizontal lines. My suggestion would be BEFORE you order something that expensive, try and find it done on windows similar to the ones in your home. Again, you may like it. It was a bit overwhelming for me.
August 27, 2013 at 5:40PM     
jsbishara
I would like to stay under $1500 for chandelier. My desire is for the room to not only look great but also to be functional, as the family watches movies, sporting events in this room the couch is the largest sitting piece and therefore should be able to comfortably view the television which is the the left of the fireplace.
August 27, 2013 at 6:21PM   
Move furn off rug move chairs back. Why is everything so close together. You could drop a chandelier it would have to be very big to make a impact in this room.
August 27, 2013 at 6:24PM   
Remove table in back of sofa and move sofa back 2 ft. A lighter color on rug. Maybe a cream shag.
August 27, 2013 at 6:26PM   
Don't angle chairs.
August 27, 2013 at 6:27PM   
Make rug smaller. 5x7 is big enough no furn on rug.
August 27, 2013 at 6:28PM   
A big 36" or 40" chandelier, round. Drop low.
August 27, 2013 at 6:30PM   
jsbishara
Newest arrangement of furniture
August 27, 2013 at 6:43PM     
I can't see that anything has changed from yesterday? Did you post the wrong pic?
August 27, 2013 at 6:54PM   
jsbishara
If I put the library table behind the loveseat would that look odd as its a bit longer than the loveseat?
August 28, 2013 at 4:06AM   
Loveseats are notorious for being difficult to arrange, so unless you need the seating it provides, I'd remove it from the equation. That way the table would stand on its own at the window end, and it actually has the presence and interest to do that very well. If you must have seating for 7 (and usually sofas are not filled with people on every cushion) consider using the table elsewhere. I'm thinking you may have a foyer or it could stand alone in the passage on the other side of the columns if there is floor space for it. Layering the entry into a room can often provide more interest than just viewing the entire space at one fell swoop. The table with a large bouquet of flowers could lend mystery and interest to the room beyond it. Last choice would be a second full-size sofa. If you'll post a picture taken from the room toward the area behind the columns and one of your foyer, I'll help.

August 28, 2013 at 6:52AM   
bellesum
Most arrangements with 2 sofas facing each other have sofas of equal lengths for symmetry. A 3 seater facing a 2 seater is a bit odd. I never quite understood this facing arrangement where there is a TV. How does one watch TV? It only works if the room only has a fire place. I think you should reinstate original sofa placement. Now there is more space and it will not look as cramped. So the 3 seater should be where the chairs are against the wall. The 2 chairs should move to where love seat is and love seat goes to spot where 3 seater is. This way, more people can sit on more comfortable sofas, rather than the chairs, while watching TV.
August 28, 2013 at 7:35AM   
sharpkl
I understand your reluctance if sofa table is larger than love seat....how much longer? I would try and see how it looks. Is there a smaller piece of furniture you can switch with the table?
August 28, 2013 at 8:04AM   
Have you taken exact measurements? While, traditionally, sofa tables are designed to be shorter than the sofa they're with, it isn't "set in stone" when you're dealing with an item that wasn't designed for the sofa table purpose. You can see the ones below come close to being what we might call too long, but they really aren't serving in their original design capacity. With the decorative corners you table has, it may not look as bad as you expect behind the love. My point, and the focus the the design layout I've suggested is that the library table has presence and interest that the other furniture is lacking. Not that it isn't fine, attractive furniture, but the eye-catcher is the table. I'd rather see it as a focal point of the room, so certainly don't eliminate it. We can figure it out together. Once the large sofa is opposite the FP, I think you'll start to see where we're headed with this.
Living
Highcroft Residence
August 28, 2013 at 8:32AM      Thanked by jsbishara
jsbishara
I have not moved any of the artwork as it will take some time, but want to get the layout right first. Also, I have no outlet if I put the table and lamp between the chairs, should I just put a table? I have this table available also. Thoughts?
August 28, 2013 at 10:50AM   
sharpkl
I like the layout. How do you like it? Now to tweak.
August 28, 2013 at 10:55AM   
sharpkl
I would scoot rug more under love-seat and I'm not sure I would put anything between chairs unless you have a small narrow table. If not, just move chairs closer to match dimensions of love-seat. The table looks really nice behind love-seat.
August 28, 2013 at 11:01AM      Thanked by jsbishara
Littman Bros Lighting
If you go back to having the three seat sofa across the fireplace - I would move it several inches onto the rug, creating a walkway behind the sofa. This is most likely the more comfortable seat that should face the fireplace. Do the same with the love seat and two chairs. Have them situated enough on the rug, while still being able to pass through in between each.

Here are a few chandelier options...some multi-tiered options and other large bowl-pendants. Let me know if you have any questions :) danielle@littmanbros.com
http://www.littmanbros.com/kichler-larissa-2313-TZG-foyer.html http://www.littmanbros.com/kichler-builder-2087OZ-chandeliers.html http://www.littmanbros.com/kalco-amelie-5534-CC-1531-chandelier.html
August 28, 2013 at 12:02PM      Thanked by jsbishara
Littman Bros Lighting
A 3 seat sofa perpendicular to a love seat can look fine. It can essentially be replicating an L-shaped couch. It definitely depends on the sofas though :)
August 28, 2013 at 12:11PM   
jsbishara
Here are 2 more angles
August 28, 2013 at 1:17PM     
Littman Bros Lighting
I like that! Opens the room up a lot! I would pull the 3 seat couch forward towards the ottoman about 6 inches and pull the ottoman towards the fireplace so that it is "centered" with the two green chairs...
August 28, 2013 at 1:33PM   
Littman Bros Lighting
You want to create a "walkway" behind the 3 seat couch so that there is easy access to walk up to the beautiful bay window. It seems like there is plenty of room to achieve this by pulling the couch and ottoman closer to the fp..
August 28, 2013 at 1:35PM   
jsbishara
If I do that, won't I be almost back where I started, and the furniture will looked too cramped together?
August 28, 2013 at 1:38PM     
I'm loving it now! I don't believe you need a "walkway" since you've opened up the room. Now just remove the drapes and re-hang the art above the sofa. Put the pair of nesting tables with the two chairs and lower the art by the FP so the center is 60" above the floor. Do the same with the one on the wall by the column. The chairs need a table for drinks as the tray is on the hassock for the same reason. If you want to try it, that chest by the stairs might look nice where the nesting tables were and then you can just lower the picture to be 5" above it. Then we'll have to consider the area by the stairs! lol
August 28, 2013 at 1:49PM      Thanked by jsbishara
julianay
It's like taking a breath. We couldn't breathe because the arrangement was too tight. Everything is relaxed now.
August 28, 2013 at 2:00PM        Thanked by jsbishara
jsbishara
Thank you for all the help, I will post new pics once I do something with the windows.
August 28, 2013 at 2:57PM   
bellesum
Much better!
August 28, 2013 at 6:08PM   
sharpkl
Very nice!
August 28, 2013 at 6:29PM   
laurav507
Wow what a difference! One small suggestion. I like that round table you showed us. There are a lot of rectangles in your room. Can you swap it with the one next to the sofa? Great great room!
September 4, 2013 at 8:45PM      Thanked by jsbishara
jsbishara
What about taking down the drapes and leaving the windows as they are?
September 7, 2013 at 4:37PM   
3245355
First I would take down draperies, then add wood raised panels between the upper & lower windows then paint to match trim.
Drop long drapery panels on decorative 3" poles at the outside
And the corners of the bay. A horizontal stripe would be an excellent choice.

Set your two chairs side by side to create the look of a love seat
Then put a sofa table behind them with a lamp & accessories.

A chandelier is needed,but it needs to be big and visually heavy
As not to be lost with the very large stone fireplace.

Large area rug will help define your seating area and give you the opportunity to bring in pattern and color. Also a runner in front of the bay door will define that area as an entrance.
September 7, 2013 at 6:40PM   
Galilee Lighting
for more pictures of our beautiful options for high ceiling visit www.GALILEELIGHTING.com
September 9, 2013 at 10:11AM   
I think removal of the drapes is key, whether or not you replace them with anything. You'll see a big difference with them out of the way, and you can take your time deciding about the window treatment that works best for your space. You've done a great job! If you're working on the picture arrangement, you can remove them and use butcher paper to cut out their shapes, arranging the pics on the floor, then taping up the paper pix with painter's tape until you get it right. Then you can hammer in the nails where the hangers are on the paper ones, pull them off and put up the real pics. Show us when you're done!
September 13, 2013 at 4:37PM   
printesa
I would remove the curtains as well. If you decide to replace them, you could something that comes from all the way up. Hawthorn Woods Columbia Living Room
Overview
Two story window treatment
December 23, 2013 at 9:51AM     
printesa - this post is from 4 months ago, but we did have fun helping with it. Glad you're in agreement. Hope we'll see photos of the completion eventually.
December 23, 2013 at 11:08AM   
Need help with echo in my 2 1/2 story great room
30 ft ceilings are beautiful but I can't stand the...
Need Help Decorating and Furnishing 2 Story Great Room
We just moved into this home In June. I am trying to...
need help with window treatments for a small 2 story great room.
2 lower windows flanking a fireplace, with smaller...
2-story great room/TV room design dilemma
We just moved into a house a few months ago that has...
Window treatments for a 2 story great room.
Please help! We're moving into a house we just built...
You spilled WHAT? WHERE?
I'm always horrified at the notion of spilling something...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Would you rearrange this room?
Me and my mom are debating if we should move the piano...
Over the toilet cabinet??? Good or bad design???
Over the toilet cabinet good or bad design? Is it out...
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...