On budget - Just bought home and need to lighten and brighten kitchen
Jess Spurling
Just bought this house....Until I am able to afford a renovation I am thinking of painting oak bottom cabinets black with Licorice Caromal Brand paint and top in White or Versailles Caromal brand glaze.

While I appreciate the stone backspash it is not my style at all. I am more into lights....whites and creams. I dont mind the granite counter top. My new refrigerator will be stainless.
Ann
Those cabinets look nice as they are. I'm not sure I'd change them. The backsplash works well with everything too. The only thing I'd do is get all the appliances in stainless as soon as you can afford it. I think that would be the best way to spend available money in that kitchen. Other than the black appliances, the kitchen is quite nice looking.
August 26, 2013 at 9:14am        Thanked by Jess Spurling
Jess Spurling
this is the idea I have. I would like to exchange the stone tile with white subway tile.
August 26, 2013 at 9:38am   
Jess Spurling
I hope Angie doesnt mind me posting that pic from her blog. This in another idea I found.
August 26, 2013 at 9:39am     
RosemaryR
I'd start by painting the walls a light cream color. I like the 2nd px you posted better than 1st.
August 26, 2013 at 9:42am        Thanked by Jess Spurling
Jess Spurling
Thanks. I think I prefer the grey too. =)
August 26, 2013 at 10:02am   
iwantit
I agree with Ann. The cabinets are too nice to paint over. Having said that, I think the backsplash has to go. It darkens the room too much. (Maybe it just me, but I'm partial to the hate for slate.)If you put in a cream or white backsplash it will break up the darkness caused by dark counters and backsplash and will blend with the floor. I would also suggest you get stainless appliances when you're able.
August 26, 2013 at 10:09am   
Jess Spurling
I just cannot live with orange oak cabinets.. besides, they are mostly veneers and look VERY cheap in person. The Caromal Brand has been the best option I can find for refinishing in lighter colors. The stone backsplash is very nice just not wanted in my kitchen. I am hoping to salvage as much as I can for a backyard project. =)
August 26, 2013 at 10:14am   
Paint all cabinets same white. Change all appl to stainless. Backsplash go tumbled travertine. Granite is fine. When you remodel go a lighter granite.
August 26, 2013 at 10:19am        Thanked by Jess Spurling
iwantit
OK, I can understand that. I like the gray with the white better and I'd still get rid of the slate. Although if you had light cabinets it, maybe, wouldn't look so dark, if you get good light in your kitchen. Otherwise, I think it would still be too dark. I think I can like slate in the backyard where it belongs. My hate for slate, is due to buying a house with horrible DYI. Previous homeowner badly installed slate on the kitchen floors. They are a nightmare to clean and soak up all the light. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just hose them down.My kitchen floor look like a patio floor and I've been living with them for 3 years. Can't wait to remodel! Hopefully next year.
August 26, 2013 at 10:26am     
Ann
Sounds like you've decided to paint the cabinets white. Please give a bit of thought to your floor before you do that. White cabinets look especially nice with wood floors (darker wood floors are really great). I'm a little worried you'll start with redecorating that kitchen and then realize one change will have to lead to another and it will all get too expensive trying to get it to a cohesive look with the new changes. I'm not sure the current floor will look OK with white cabinets.
August 26, 2013 at 10:27am     
jabbott2012
I'd paint all of the cabinets white, not some in black.
August 26, 2013 at 10:39am   
Jess Spurling
Just found the below link from a user here on Houzz and also a blogger. She refin'd her cabinets in Caromal Brand Paint. I think I will see what happens with Caromal's green on bottom and Off white, maybe white on top with the slate to see if it gets lighter. I like how the Cobblestone green she used looks with her black appliances. I can deal with black for a few more months.......I am a University of Tn VOLS fanatic...But this Orange oak has got to go. =)
http://thevirginiahouse.blogspot.com/2011/01/kitchen-reveal-before-after.html
August 26, 2013 at 10:54am   
Jess Spurling
p.s. I close on the house this week and will get started next week on paint and will post pics as I go. Thank you all for the help and suggestions..... YAY!
August 26, 2013 at 10:55am   
RosemaryR
Go for it, you live there, you have to love it.
August 26, 2013 at 12:49pm        Thanked by Jess Spurling
Cheryl Khan
If you don't want to replace the cabinets, I would refinish them. Sand them down and re-stain to a tone of your liking. With this weekend project, you can have them looking like a brand new modern set in no time! I would also suggest swapping out the handles while your at it! :)
August 26, 2013 at 1:05pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Good plan. The oak finish is very dated but the door style is simple enough that it will look more contemporary painted!
August 26, 2013 at 1:05pm        Thanked by Jess Spurling
Jess Spurling
Cheryl Khan - Its not that I do not want to replace...I am just trying to get them to a point where i can live with them until I can renovate entire kitchen. Its very small. I have found Reclaim works beautifully without all the extra sanding, etc. I already have the handles as depicted in the picture of the refin'd virginia house. Thank you for the suggestions though. =)
August 26, 2013 at 1:08pm   
julianay
Paint the cabinets a gloss cream color (easy to clean) and update your knobs to stainless. I don't see anything wrong with the counter or backsplash (I actually LOVE slate!) but with those horrible orange cabinets everything goes very dark. I agree with updating your appliances to stainless as soon as you can. You'll feel better with everything all shiny and clean.
August 26, 2013 at 1:20pm     
Cheryl Khan
No problem Jess! Sounds like you already have an idea of where you're headed. That's great! Post some pictures when your done so we can all see and share in your accomplishment! :D
August 26, 2013 at 2:00pm     
Ann
I think the sagey green on the bottom and white/off white on the top idea is a good one. It should work well with the floor.
August 26, 2013 at 4:39pm   
How to brighten-lighten this kitchen on a budget?
We are purchasing a new home and I really need ideas...
Just bought 19 year old home. Needs updating and new kitchen
I am trying to decide to replace floors or refinish...
We just bought a fantastic new home, but we need to make it OUR home
We have been painting and taking down wallpaper, its...
Brighten or lighten up my kitchen
My kitchen feels a little dull. I'm wondering if painting...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
HELP on side tables...
So, I finally decided on a coffee table and now my...
second floor patio flooring
Hi, I live in a second floor condo. It has a covered...
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...