NEED HELP! To choose the right hard wood and colour for our flooring

shamrockanneAugust 26, 2013
Hello, we recently purchased a new Town home near Vancouver BC and want to remove the very cheap laminate flooring and replace with Hard wood or Engineered hard wood. I really need help to choose the right flooring and the best colours to work with the space. We are looking for a tried and true design, that will not only work in the space, but will stand the test of time. (We think the present flooring is too dark?) What do you think?
If this is a new built, even the cheapest laminate flooring could last a few years, I would wait until they need replacing to get some value out of them instead of tearing them out now. The current color looks fine with a contemporary touch.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by shamrockanne    August 26, 2013 at 10:29AM
It's is dark, and is hard to maintain. Go lighter with a mix of colors. For interest.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by shamrockanne    August 26, 2013 at 10:39AM
shamrockanne
We have a 13 year old dog, a small breed and sad to say sometimes she doesn't get outside in time - the laminate is not an option. It is very hard to maintain - even when I have cleaned with different products or none at all it remains streaked. It only looks good in the pictures. :-(
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:50AM
Zone 4 Architects, LLC
As far as timeless looks are concerned, you can't beat reclaimed flooring for timelessness and character.

This flooring is what we just installed in our office and has a nice mix of color contrast, while adding a lot of warmth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dylanmj/9078748619/

It was sourced from Old West Woods (http://www.oldwestwoods.com/flooring.html) , and they can give you just about any look and color. Many of their floors are available in either solid or thick veneer floors (thick veneer is important if something is dropped, the substrate will not be exposed to view, and it will allow the floor to be refinished without being ruined).

If you want a more uniform look for less money, I would suggest a mid-tone gray floor or a lighter walnut hue.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by shamrockanne    August 26, 2013 at 10:51AM
shamrockanne
Zone 4 Architects, LLC Thank you for your comment. I do like what you installed in your office ....and agree with the nice mix of color contrast - thanks for this information
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:56AM
Zone 4 Architects, LLC
No problem, and good luck!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 11:00AM
chrisinky
Since you have a dog I suggest a lighter color that will not show as much hair and dirt. Dark floors show everything! That doesn't mean you have to go with a very pale color though. Also look at a more textured finish because the dog's nail will scratch the wood some. I've seen very shiny wood floors & they are hard to keep that way even with no dog. I like the idea of the reclaimed flooring & solves the scratches problem.
    Bookmark   Thanked by shamrockanne    August 26, 2013 at 11:16AM
shannajensen
Love Love Love the floors that that photo of the office! Gorgeous!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:29PM
Patrick Peyton
First, solid hardwood vs engineered. Solid wood is for wood subfloors, can usually be refinished more times but is usually more expensive and more prone to warping and cupping. Engineered floors can be installed on wood or concrete subfloors, are very dimensionally stable(less probe to warping), usually more affordable but cannot be refinished as many times. I've had a lot of luck with these manufacturer, have them in own home and I think the ones with the grey cast will tie in nicely with your kitchen colors.
    Bookmark   Thanked by shamrockanne    August 26, 2013 at 11:21PM
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
Having been at it awhile, I can attest to the fact that the flooring choices that are ALWAYS in play are going to be the OAK & WALNUT species and they can be considered in many finish styles.

We've always had MORE requests for flooring that was leaning toward a "light character" grade than upper grades, but both are acceptable for many interior design looks... whereas too rustic becomes dated.
Same with the finish style... smooth, LIGHTLY hand-scraped/ distressed, & wire-brushed textures never seem out of place, however TOO heavy will also become "dated".

For example we sell flooring in the lighter textures that will fit nicely even in a contemporary design setting.

Colors... there are many options which will always be in style... the "wild" ones are probably good to steer away from. A nice warm brown in medium to darker tones is safe... but I have to admit, we've been doing many variations on the "gray" tones for years, and they are very popular currently... as well with the white washed finishes.

I guess the bottom line is that interior design ideas & trends are always in motion, but the better ideas will follow a circular path. Sort of like clothing you toss because it's "out of style" and 15 years later you're wishing you had it back.

For residences & areas that aren't very large, I think the trend to steer away from is the wider widths... they have a tendency to "shrink" a room as well as drive the costs higher. Narrower widths or random widths can have an enlarging effect by "scaling" the room more favorably.
Feel free to see our Houzz profile for some different approaches.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by shamrockanne    August 27, 2013 at 5:46AM
Need help choosing wood blind colour.
We have redone our whole house with grey walls, white...
katt58
Help choosing colours to update our home and any other suggestions
I love our new home but it looks dated and needs a...
Melissa Gennings
Need help in choosing paint colour for our fireplace
Can you give us some ideas as to how we can revive...
sfus
Need help with wall colour, accessories and flooring for our living room.
We have just moved in to a house that needs serious...
Fungai Blake
Hard wood floors in the kitchen?
I love the hard wood floors in all white kitchens and...
Renee Jalbert
Follow Along with my DIY Kitchen Remodel
I have hired Inspired Kitchen Designs to design my...
Terri
Help With Paint Color for Dining Room
I'm lost on what color to paint the dining room. It...
hayeshearns
Bookshelf nightmare!
This built in was here when we bought the house years...
yram45
Looking for an oak tv stand
Looking for an oak tv stand about 40 inches wide and...
pastaguy
Sponsored Products
Simple Lines Ten Arm 2-Tier Chandelier by Hubbardton Forge
$850.00 | Lumens
Tahoe Rectangular: 3 Ft. x 5 Ft. Rug
$408.60 | Bellacor
Dusk Blue Circle Rings Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Beverly Tufted Sofa - NAVY
$3,299.00 | Horchow
Furniture of America Krasila Classic Twin over Twin Bunk Bed with Storage
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Windsor Hunter
$79.00 | Home Depot