Match or contrast floor in Kitchen? Change direction into diagonal?
Preston Smalley
OK. So my wife and I are knee deep into a major remodel of our kitchen and need help selecting a hardwood floor.

Our remodeled kitchen will be quite long (30') and somewhat narrow (10') so I was leaning toward installing a 45 degree diagonal floor guiding your eye across the room to the rangetop and windows and avoiding the bowling alley effect. We're putting into shaker white cabinets, white cararra marble countertops, white farmhouse sink and white subway tile backspashes... so lots of white. I figured we should go with a darker hardwood (espresso/coffee/ebony) to contrast the whites and want something really welcoming (like wideplank oak). Here's a design on Houzz that's quite similar: Sf Kitchen

However, a couple years ago we put in a beautiful Brazilian Cherry hand-scraped engineered hardwood in our entryway and dining room. That space is connected via a doorway with our kitchen and if the product was continued into the kitchen would floor perpendicular to the length of the room. I attached a photo of our entryway as well as a rough floorplan to give you an idea. But even if I wanted to match it 100%, the particular product we used has been discontinued and I'm not sure the redish tones would fit our kitchen color palette.

ADVICE? :)
1. Should I try and match the entry/dining room as best I can with another brazilian cherry and keep the direction of the floor the same? (drawbacks: no diagonal in kitchen, redder floor than we want)
2. Would changing material and the direction to diagonal look choppy and not well thought or am I stressing about it too much?

Other solutions?

OnePlan
Could you have the flooring matching the dining room and hallway in the breakfast end of the kitchen - then change direction in the kitchen part ?!?
1 Like   Thanked by Preston Smalley    August 26, 2013 at 10:25AM
Matching hardwood or changing direction in kitchen
We have hardwood in our living/dining and hallway....
Alison Sharpe
Contrasting or matching wood floor for newly joined kitchen/liv room?
I live in a small, 2 bedroom 1939 bungalow in Austin....
austincaitlin
Changing direction of wood flooring
Hi, Santos mahogany wood flooring runs parallel to...
sushak
Is it a big deal to change floor direction?
Beautiful design! Our foyer is smaller with Brazilian...
cindyhzhao
Perfect Greige?
I painted a section of my living room SW Pavestone...
kcovey24
Source Adel glass door (horizontal) outside Ikea?
We have the off-white Adel doors and have to quickly...
li11807
Heighth of Dining Room Chandelier
What is the correct heighth for a dining room chandelier...
jsann
Need help for Kitchen - what should I do?
What should be done in my kitchen to get cosy athmosphere....
Rok
Bathroom help
Need to redo my only bathroom with shower and tub....
1pez