Can you think of Anything better...
draper09
This is the best I could come up with for this wall. I have to keep these mounts on the wall (blame my husband). Anyone have any better ideas???
oneofeleven
Well if you have to keep them could you put them over the fireplace so you're not staring at them while watching the telly? Or how about dressing them up with some silly hats , scarves, necklaces etc. Looks like you have a baby and this would make them laugh. Good luck with this.
August 26, 2013 at 4:55pm     
Laurence Tillett
Oh bless you honey! Maybe if you painted that wall a deep co.or...browns, pumpkin(?) it would make the wall look smaller, as well as make the heads not as "in your face". Then, I'd add some non-animal wall art...a round mirror, some prints...with plain black frames but with some bright colors....you'd have a "gallery wall".
August 26, 2013 at 4:56pm     
If they have to stay, I'd prefer centering the big one above the tv, then two on either side level with each other for symmetry. Leaving the one on the far right there, but raise the left one the same height.
August 26, 2013 at 5:01pm     
draper09
The big one is too tall to fit anywhere but where it is :(
August 26, 2013 at 5:04pm   
studio10001
What would think of stacking them, totem style, w wooden seat at bottom? The big one needn't move. Move TV slightly right to balance the rest of the wall
August 26, 2013 at 5:10pm     
draper09
I don't think that would work because of how high the horns are. Gonna check on that tho. Thanks everyone.
August 26, 2013 at 5:13pm     
oneofeleven
How about changing husbands? Just kidding!
August 26, 2013 at 5:14pm     
If the buck was hung just high enough not to hit your head on the chin, I think there is room above the tv
August 26, 2013 at 5:15pm     
oneofeleven
would it be possible to get pictures of the entire room?
August 26, 2013 at 5:18pm   
2taniya
The 2 African heads are turned away from each other, while the deer faces straight...could you exchange the 2 so they are looking into the center toward each other? I think they might look better mounted closer together instead of spread out on the wall. Would it be possible to put one over the TV where the rug/blanket is now? Or make a small triangle of them to the left of the TV. Deer stays where it is, antelope (a sable??) just below it, since it is facing right the horns should clear the deer, and then the wildebeast (?) below that. Wait - that sounds more like a stack...so put the bottom two at the same height to make the triangle. Do you have more heads to position?
August 26, 2013 at 5:26pm     
studio10001
Are you suggesting her husband's?
August 26, 2013 at 5:29pm     
2taniya
Ahahahah - no - I would NEVER....well, most likely not....
August 26, 2013 at 5:31pm     
lol...I was also thinking like 2taniya regarding the way the heads are facing. I'd at least reverse the two lower heads.
August 26, 2013 at 5:40pm     
studio10001
August 26, 2013 at 5:44pm     
2taniya
oh boy studio - and just what do you suggest the speech bubbles say? "Just shooting the breeze" , "love hanging around", " what - haven't you seen a stuffed head talk before?" "Oh the trouble I've seen", " change the channel , I don't like this show. " etc etc
August 26, 2013 at 6:00pm     
2taniya
And the more I look at it, the more I think the rug needs to be moved from over the TV...are there other artifacts you could incorporate with it? Or there might be a way to fit it in with the (talking) heads or perhaps over the fireplace or with the stool?
August 26, 2013 at 6:02pm   
mkmort
At least they are not in the bathroom like this one,

August 26, 2013 at 6:32pm     
draper09
Hilarious! Here are more pics.
August 26, 2013 at 6:44pm   
studio10001
Depth will tell, but I think I'd be tempted to move one head to join the one on the right wall.
August 26, 2013 at 6:54pm   
quercus2
Assuming replacing the husband is not an option, move them to the side wall so you don't have them staring at you when you watch TV. Good luck.
August 26, 2013 at 6:57pm     
studio10001
I'm gathering space for a single grouping is part of the problem? And if so, pairing them opposite will at least keep some balance. I like the idea of having them separated from the TV sightly, rather than attempting to decorate -or watch- it, and also think having one pr. vertical and the other horizontal may provide better interest. The TV could still stand to shift right a bit, as it seems off center.
August 26, 2013 at 7:06pm   
brendakusan
There are a lot of different vibes going on in this room. They are thrown in together, like they were leftovers from the rest of the house. They need to be tied together and rearranged. The animal heads, rug, etc are very strong decorative elements. They make a big statement, so you need to go with the look whole hog! Go all in girl, commit! I'm thinking an Ernest Hemingway look - masculine, world traveller, tribal, exotic, mysterious etc. Firstly, paint a rich sand colour or a terra cotta, think desert colours. It will help tie together the multiple brown colours in your stuff. Move the long horned antelope to the left middle of the other two heads. This will group them together nicely. Put the stool underneath. Remove the rug from the wall, make a floor pillow from it. Put some logs in a colourful basket near the fireplace. Get started with that and see where the rest takes you. Think texture and use Africa as your inspiration. It will be beautiful and might even become your favourite room.
August 26, 2013 at 7:07pm     
studio10001
Another thought re. the totem idea. If the antelope goes on top, the stag horns might cup it and provide more space? I agree re. painting, if that is feasible for you
August 26, 2013 at 7:16pm   
oneofeleven
Just curious, where exactly do you live? South Africa? I like the idea of the strong colour suggested by brendakusan. Would it be possible to move the large hutch and use that wall to display some of the trophies?
August 26, 2013 at 8:04pm     
Well, it could be worse Yikes

August 26, 2013 at 8:15pm     
draper09
We live in California! Lol. So I should lose the pottery barn pillows and go with the African theme it seems. I will measure to see about moving the mounts but they are very large when you consider the length of the horns.
August 26, 2013 at 8:39pm     
brendakusan
@MargoC - yup, that house needs a design intervention.
@draper09 - I was thinking more along these colours and looks.
BTW if you can, put all the heads on one wall. That big-ass one over the couch is eerie, kinda like someone always looking over your shoulder.
August 26, 2013 at 8:42pm     
oneofeleven
whatever you do please post an After picture, please and thank you.
August 26, 2013 at 8:43pm     
HI -- I think it would be best to make your husband his own room so he could have them in there . I would not want to try and watch TV or visit with company and looking at those .Kind of sad and creepy at the same time . Your wall color is a little too weak for the furnishings you have . The volume of the space needs a stronger color tone.
August 26, 2013 at 8:54pm     
Maguire
I would go all out with the theme only if you like it. Is this your only family room or hubby's ego room?
If its a family room I'd counter the heads by painting huge butterflies on the wall, getting floral drapery and pink velvet bean bags.....
Don't you think one head is enough? The rest can go in the garage. Too many and none look special.
August 26, 2013 at 8:58pm     
My husband is going to have me commited LOL, every time he walks by the office (where I am) I am sitting here laughing with myself out loud. He shakes his head and asks me if I am on Houzz LOL - love this stuff!
August 26, 2013 at 8:59pm     
2taniya
I can't believe anyone can sit on the sofa underneath the kudo and not bonk their head on it when they stand up. Oh wait - that would be really bad - then you would have another head to hang up. And mkmort - which head in that bathroom are you referring to as being a problem?

Are those hunting pictures over the fireplace? If not, that would be a good place for the woven rug.

I would like to see all 4 heads together in one place but can't follow your room well enough to do it. Can they all go together under the peak of your ceiling with the skin rug below them? There would be room if you could move the TV - your husband will have to decide which is more important to him. LOL! It looks like there is a step up to possibly a door just to the left of the wildebeast head...can you post a pic of that area?

We are determined to make an African scene in your living room - with some antlers and a North American deer here and there....
August 26, 2013 at 9:01pm     
Ann
If it were my husband, I'd just say no to the heads.
August 26, 2013 at 9:05pm     
Maguire
Spray paint them all white, paint the pearly gates behind them on the wall and clouds on the ceiling.
August 26, 2013 at 9:06pm     
anne dee
You could frame each head ?

August 26, 2013 at 9:09pm     
anne dee
In a grouping on a darker colored wall?

August 26, 2013 at 9:12pm     
anne dee
August 26, 2013 at 9:15pm     
brendakusan
draper09 has a very unusual decorating dilemma, and fortunately a good sense of humour. She clearly loves her husband and family as evidenced by the stuff in her photos. I say all this because this is forum for people to get help with their dilemmas, not to be scoffed at, not to subscribe to our personal dogmas. It does not matter whether you dislike animal heads, butterflies or the colour beige. Some of the comments made here are borderline bullying. Please say something constructive or move on.
August 26, 2013 at 9:16pm     
oneofeleven
I love all the comments (except the semi-bullying ones), who was it that said "ten heads are better than one?" :)
August 26, 2013 at 9:18pm     
brendakusan
@anne dee - good pics and ideas
August 26, 2013 at 9:20pm   
Sherwin Williams reads the fur on these beasts to be Keystone Gray - try that on the walls! lol!
August 26, 2013 at 9:20pm   
draper09
Believe me I don't love the mounts but they aren't going anywhere. I have tried! lol. This was my father inlaws house and his mounts. He passed away 3 years ago(at 55) and my husband refuses to get rid of the mounts. I can do anything to the house but the mounts stay (his words). I understand the sentimental value since his father was an avid hunter. Anyways.. Not trying to write a sob story but that is the background of the enormous animals!
August 26, 2013 at 9:27pm     
studio10001
I like the shade brenda showed for the walls, and have also seen deep greens and rust shades used to good effect w taxidermy. If the sofa can be moved, just a bit into the room, high drapery panels could help,too.
August 26, 2013 at 9:28pm     
Shahmiri Fine Art
I like the idea of going darker on that tall wall as well. I feel the TV and furniture are dwarfed by all that wall space and the large heads. The darker color will make that wall seem visually shorter. I like to see how you solve this decorating dilemma, what a challenge!
August 26, 2013 at 9:28pm   
soberg
Mancave filled with lovely mounted animal heads....then your house can be normal.
August 26, 2013 at 9:37pm     
studio10001
Best of luck, draper09 - I hope some of this has proved useful, and that you will share with us whatever you decide. Tell your husband when he goes to rearrange that we said,"Bend at the knees!", and I look forward to seeing the 'after'.
August 26, 2013 at 9:40pm     
anne dee
I know I said last one but I can't help myself "Look what I found"
Is that some trophy room or what !!

August 26, 2013 at 9:44pm     
brendakusan
LOL Ann Dee! Watch out, this could become an obsession. But, the room is beautifully decorated.
@draper09, what a beautiful homage to your husband and father in law. Forget Pottery Barn - are you 'all in' now?
August 26, 2013 at 9:55pm     
2dogssashatess
I do not mind a few of these trophies on the wall. You just need to arrange them better. The deers and antelope are ok, I just don't like the animal on the bottom left. I think they make your home a bit interesting and quirky as not every home has them. As much as I love houzz, some the rooms here are very generic, you know everyone loves white subway tile, white kitchen cupboards, polished floorboards etc. Dare to be a bit different:)

Ps men are entitled to have some of their taste in a house
August 26, 2013 at 10:01pm     
nwduck
draper09: You are an awesome wife. There. It's on the internet now, so it must be true.

C'mon, Houzzers! This is a real challenge. So many people on here are really creative, there's a solution waiting to happen.

For my 2 cents, I'd consider a darker wall with some texture. Dare I Say Grasscloth Wallpaper? You've got that rustic mantel, so maybe you could pull color/tones from that. Putting all of the heads on one wall seems to be the way to go, as the one behind the couch does seem a little bothersome. The frame idea has merit, too. Just don't know quite how to do it. In the additional pictures, there are other antlers in and on the hutch. If one is going to "go for it", can those work in somehow? What about mixing in some sepia pictures of your husband's dad out in the wild? Or classic sepia photos of the locations where these were obtained? If you can negotiate out of the hide rug on the floor for something highly textured in maybe that blue/gray from your PB pillows, it may feel like there's some of you in there! (Good for children to crawl on?)
August 26, 2013 at 10:02pm     
studio10001
An antler chandy wouldn't look well here, but perhaps for the dining room: http://www.realantlerchandeliers.com/images/products/412.jpg
August 26, 2013 at 10:08pm     
oneofeleven
thanks for sharing your story with us, I'm sure it's made a few people rethink their comments. Try making a mockup of the mounts from cardboard , measure out a space equal to the wall with the hutch and place the mounts on it to get an idea of how accommodating the wall space might be. I do think getting most of them together would help and would still satisfy your husband's need to feel close to his dad. Also, we have a pair of antlers that we have mounted on either side of our door and use for hats.
August 26, 2013 at 10:25pm     
brendakusan
@draper09 you have some great ideas here to get you going. We are all anxiously waiting for in progress and after pics.
August 26, 2013 at 10:38pm   
Sustainable Dwellings
These are very nice mounts.( Someone dear hunted them). You don't have space for these, uou actually need a room about four times that size to do them justice. I agree with NWduck, you need pics of the location of the hunt and other memorabilia. I think warmer walls and a man-cave feel is in order. Trust me, I live in the Ozarks, I am not some Frilly-Lily that hasn't seen a dead head before, but there is a code of decor for Duck Dynasty too...Think about grouping the two in kind, and moving the other somewhere else in your home.
August 26, 2013 at 10:40pm   
My uncle and aunt were avid hunters, but they only have one huge mount per room - elk and moose - very large but their own focal point in the space.
August 27, 2013 at 4:28am   
Terracegallery
Less is more...one per room as decoenthusiaste says....
August 27, 2013 at 4:41am   
2taniya
My friend's husband hunts in South Africa and has brought many or most of his kills back to the US and they are all mounted in their home - the count is much higher than yours and yes, there is even a full lion and I think I remember a bear or two. These heads really do look much better mounted together rather than spread around a room. Currently, they live in a humongous log home with huge rooms and the heads take up much space - your room is smaller but I still think the heads should be together on one wall. I did like the darker wall color also as a backdrop for them. I agree you should go "all in" and gather all the hunting things into one room (or at least one area of one room) - especially the African pieces - the North American ones probably but not necessarily. The heads, the rugs, the small blanket (on the wall), the stool should all be together.

As for all the antlers in the display case, you could possibly pick out the ones that work best to curve around a tall fat pillar candle on a dining table as a centerpiece or group several together as a holder for a clear glass bowl - again as a centerpiece.

From the few pictures of your home, it seems like some rearranging might be in order so that you can group all the heads on the big A frame wall... What is opposite the A frame with the heads? Is that another A frame with the china/glass front cabinet? The chest below the TV is lovely (as are the candle lights on either end) but it is too big if you want to put all the heads there. I think hunting photos would work best as a grouping on a different wall not is line of sight with the heads. Could you move all the heads to the wall where the glass front cabinet with the antlers is and put the cabinet elsewhere? Seeing as it is so easy to move those heads and all....
August 27, 2013 at 8:20am     
draper09
Thank you everyone. I have a lot to think about :)
August 27, 2013 at 8:24am     
Maguire
My husband likes to fish and collect old Porsches, neither belong in the house on a wall, and he would never ask to bring them here. He's taken pictures of big fish and every car, and keeps those in an album in the house, but the cars are in storage. That's where the mounts should be. I understand the connection to your FIL but trust me, if he knew you didn't want them he'd feel horrible about this "legacy" he's left behind.
Your husband should honor the living (you!) and be trying to make you happy rather than pay homage to his father in this currently very non PC way. Thank goodness his father didn't have 10 whole elephants in his collection! He should take some nice photos, sell the mounts, and next year on his fathers birthday, take you on your dream vacation in his honor, or set up college trust funds for your kids.
I wouldn't have gotten on the soap box except for the fact that you had mentioned you don't like them and have tried to have them taken down. You can tell him that at least one Houzzer thought he's out of line.
August 27, 2013 at 8:58am     
charliebeth
I agree that the wall needs to be a darker color, or maybe needs texture, or the illusion of texture. Would it be too crazy to have one of those wood appliques added? Stikwood has very cool stuff. Check out their site here:
http://www.stikwood.com/

Oh, and i think all heads on one wall, but in a grouping and I like the idea of having them all facing inwards, so switching the two end ones.
August 27, 2013 at 9:07am     
charliebeth
Relationships = compromise.
August 27, 2013 at 9:11am     
Stella Mengels
hang a big picture of him between the trophies ..... after 2 weeks he'll let you make any change you want.
August 27, 2013 at 9:21am     
14thstreet
I have a husband that hunts as well - I can relate!

I think the mounts are dramatic, and the rest of the room is on the quiet side. Changing the paint to a more saturated color would help balance this a lot better. You have a lot of great pieces already. This room could be quite beautiful. I do like your pillows, what colors are in them? Also, I think the mounts should be grouped together on the same wall as the vault, and not above the couch. The closer you can group them together, the more cohesive they'll appear. Just like a gallery wall.
August 27, 2013 at 9:33am     
tfbarringer
I'm coming into this discussion late, but have really enjoyed reading through it! i think that you should paint the wall a terracotta brown color, put all of the heads on one wall-where the three existing ones are now, then paint the brick fireplace a dark color- almost black, perhaps, and add leopard pillows to your sofa. E en Zebra ones. There is no way to hide the elephant in the room, so have fun with it! I see that you have a rustic piece of wood on the mantel of the fireplace. Why not continue this theme ad add to the hunting lodge feeling? Add vertical strips of rustic would to the wall out outline the wall with rustic aged wood as if in a lodge. then the walls could be grey or cream, or dark, and the heads would look like they belong. Put a couple of large zebra striped floor cushions or a cheetah pattern if there is room, or similarly covered bean bags. use the glass cabinets in the center of the cabinet under the TV to display some more curiosities- I'll bet that there are more around! shells, squirrels, skulls, anything? Add a couple of glass cases on top with some more of your family's collections and go all out.
August 27, 2013 at 9:38am     
mmilos
Agree with 14thstreet, the light wall doesn't help. The mounts look very high quality - stunning animals. I would try to consolidate them all on your largest wall (make a gallery out of them) and paint the wall in a darker earth tone. Edit down the other accessories.
August 27, 2013 at 9:52am     
Quality Bath
Oh dear. I'd better make sure my husband doesn't see these, he'd start harping (again) about how our living room NEEDS a moose head. You're a good wife!

Can you move the tapestry that's over the TV and put the fourth head up there? That way you'll have all the heads together (although they'll be looking at you when you're watching TV, but they're doing that already). Go darker on the wall and maybe frame the heads like Anne Dee suggested (good idea!) so that it looks more like a gallery and less like a random gathering of dead animals. Also, then you'll have that wall over the couch to decorate the way YOU want!
August 27, 2013 at 10:14am     
oneofeleven
I think that any comments that are of a personal nature are uncalled for. They are not helpful. Draper09 did not ask for help in removing these objects from her room she asked for help in making them a part of the room. Comments about her husband do not belong here (although, yes , I did make one in jest).
August 27, 2013 at 10:16am     
Actually oneofeleven you were the first one to make a personal comment about changing husbands ...just sayin' ;)
August 27, 2013 at 10:20am     
nikawareham
Paint the wall with the mounts a dark greige color get drapes similar to flank the window and add more drama to the other side of the room. It is the focal wall because the tv is there also so all of the main things are on one wall. Take the tapestry down and put the mount on bottom left in its place, raise one on right slightly and lower left one to almost make a straight line.
August 27, 2013 at 11:37am     
zippyvt
Is there a way to possibly divide the wall horizontally, with wood panelling etc, along the lines of the photo below? The panelling would give a clubby/study/trophy room vibe, and arranging the heads above the panelling would make the arrangement more purposeful. I also agree with the comments above on darkening the wall color a bit to more of a taupe.

By the way-if you plug in "trophy room" to the Houzz picture search bar, you get the most amazing photos of mounted heads galore with great ideas for decor.
August 27, 2013 at 1:33pm     
No, I feel sad for the animals. Sorry.
August 27, 2013 at 1:36pm     
tfbarringer
Good luck draper09! can anyone help me on my discussion? its not as interesting but I need help! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/623491/Need-help-for-back-of-CT-18th-century-house
August 27, 2013 at 2:45pm   
draper09- just concentrate on the kitchen- make that all about you and spend your time there, leave the heads to rest in peace;)
August 27, 2013 at 5:26pm     
oneofeleven
@MargoC, I acknowledged that in my comment, but my comment was clearly meant in jest. Some of these comments about her husband are quite serious. Perhaps Draper09 is not a "kitchen" person. What then? I find that comment to be stereotypical, kind of like the old saying about women being kept barefoot and in the kitchen.
August 27, 2013 at 7:55pm   
@oneofeleven- draper09 has another post in the dilemma's for her kitchen. I was giving her a poke to spend more time with that thread as she is redoing her kitchen as well. Sheesh, what is it with the stereotypical remark???? after all I am a female, and by no means a timid one LOL however I am a shoeless home so I am often barefoot in the kitchen :)
August 27, 2013 at 9:50pm   
bellesum
You should go all out with the hunting lodge look. How about getting a wall paper for that entire wall in a design that resembles a rock wall?

August 29, 2013 at 7:28am     
frkhansson
I suggest you hang the carpet where that thing with the long straight horn is hanging now and put that longhorned thing together with the rest of the heads, as a group, on one side of the TV. Leave the space above the TV empty.
August 29, 2013 at 7:35am     
bellesum
Here's a possibility. http://totalwallcovering.com/p21613/Fieldstone-Wallpaper.aspx?cid=74

Wallpaper would be a lower cost and witty nod to the look.
August 29, 2013 at 7:40am   
weatherwife
Bless your heart. Is there no other room for the animal heads? Perhaps (for lack of a better word) a "man cave?" If there is any way at all to convert a basement or even garage room for him I think that would solve your dilemma. If not, I think the best idea is to group them all on one wall if possible; sort of a gallery wall. Add some touches of animal print or an animal rug. Good luck!
August 30, 2013 at 9:59am   
weatherwife
Never mind- I see that you do have an animal rug. Are you attached to it? A zebra print one would add some pop.
August 30, 2013 at 10:01am     
FRED HOFFMAN ARCHITECTURE
Hi, Can they be moved to the dinning room? Then you can plan a special dinner for their new home.
August 30, 2013 at 10:07am   
nikawareham
So I thought about your room more I personally think the animal rug is a bit much in the room. What about a rug like this? Paint the fireplace wall the blue color to bring the eye to that wall. Still paint the animal head wall a darker color and curtains in the same darker color. Paint the inside back of the wooden China cabinet the same blue so the items in there pop more. Most of the room is very brown and it makes the mounts the only thing you focus on.
September 2, 2013 at 6:29am   
nikawareham
Also what about side tables like this?
September 2, 2013 at 6:39am   
nikawareham
These vases where the logs are on the fireplace and put the logs on the other side.
September 2, 2013 at 6:42am   
nikawareham
Or these
September 2, 2013 at 6:46am   
hacketts24
I'm moving in with my finance and he has a few mounted ducks (so I understand the problem a little). it's certainly not exactly the same, as hopefully he'll be more lenient about his mounted animals (since they don't belong to a deceased father), but I found this article to be helpful: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/d9e7cb7d#/d9e7cb7d/124 (pp 124-125). It's a little stereotypical in terms of gender roles, but poses an interesting strategy to take when it comes to making decorating compromises. Best of luck!
October 15, 2013 at 9:24pm   
studio10001
It has been awhile since the start of this dilemma - any changes happening at your house, draper09?
October 15, 2013 at 9:27pm   
sunnydrew
Nice to know I am not the only one still awake at 12:30 am looking at this "dilemmas". It is a nice change from white subway tile backsplashes,
October 15, 2013 at 9:40pm     
ikdrew- I never get tired at looking at white subway tile backsplashes;) Pure perfection!
October 16, 2013 at 5:42am   
sunnydrew
Good morning Margo. I know you and many others love the white subway tiles, They do look beautiful, clean and simple in most applications we see. However I think sometime in the future they will be regarded as passé as "Avocado Green" appliances. We both remember those :) I wonder how the animal heads are this am.
October 16, 2013 at 6:26am   
Hi lkdrew- I do not think white subway is going anywhere but the good news is it is only backsplash;) Only draper can tell us how these heads are feeling...waiting....
October 16, 2013 at 6:29am   
sunnydrew
I have chosen a stacked 4 x 12 glass tile in grey/ green to go with my petrified wood counter. I just see it everywhere now....I am hoping that it will be timeless for me too. Thanks for understanding.
October 16, 2013 at 6:53am   
draper09
The living room has stayed as is for now as we have decided to remodel our kitchen first. The kitchen should be done mid November and then I plan to start working on the living room. I will post more pics of the living room and bar area to give you all a better idea of the room. Thanks!
October 16, 2013 at 7:46am     
Don't forget to show pics of the kitchen draper09;)
October 16, 2013 at 7:50am   
oneofeleven
Thanks for the update, anxiously awaiting your pictures
October 16, 2013 at 9:31am   
studio10001
Just in time for its Thanksgiving duties - good luck!
October 16, 2013 at 9:34am   
Get Back JoJo
My husband has 3 mounts...only three because I like odd numbers and 5 is too many, for our space. YOU have a lot of space! Go out, hunt more, get more mounts and put them up! They are a fabulous collection. keep the larger bigger mounts on the bottom and smaller ones on top.
October 16, 2013 at 3:53pm     
nwduck
draper09: I just opened up the new Pottery Barn catalog, and thought of your room. There are several pics incorporating antler mounts in gallery settings that might be of interest to you. In addition, there are quite a lot of accessories and cozy pillows that could work into your scheme. Lastly, there are shots of arrangements around TVs on media centers that look a great deal like yours. It's available online to page through if you don't already have a copy.
October 16, 2013 at 5:48pm     
Darla Scheuerman
All the animals go to the left side at angle. Turn the rug to a rectangle above the tv add several not so dead items on the right that are round and square and rectangle with color that go along with the rustic look ( maybe dream catcher?)
October 16, 2013 at 6:27pm   
jasonbaird
Add some lumber to the walls (stained), make some divisions and shelves. Display the guns or hang some hunting pictures and make it feel like a hunting trophy room, go hang out at a bass pro shop or check out some shooting ranges or clubs for some more ideas. If you gotta keep it then make it your cozy cabin/room.
October 16, 2013 at 6:58pm   
weatherwife
What is that on the bottom left? It looks like a moose without antlers? I only ask because (bless its heart) it is really unattractive. Would your husband agree to possibly remove that one? The other two are not bad at all:)
October 16, 2013 at 7:13pm     
Mary Sheehan Zsemlye
Get divorced!
October 16, 2013 at 8:24pm     
Mary Sheehan Zsemlye
Kidding!
October 16, 2013 at 8:24pm     
Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
Draper, I am laughing as I read the comments, but it is not too funny for you. Hanging them on the TV wall means you have to see them more frequently. They are distracting when you watch TV too. I would paint your room the same color as the deer and antelopes bodies (this would make the "heads" disappear into the wall). Hang all 3 "heads" as high to the ceiling as possible. I would also add a large horizontal piece of artwork beneath the 3 "heads"...maybe an African scene or a large African rug....this bring your eye down to the artwork or rug. With any decorating problem you cannot change, you make it appear to be an intentional part of your design. I would love to know what you decide to do.
October 16, 2013 at 8:53pm     
hme75
I LOVE the suggestion to go Hemingway with this room! His Key West studio could be a starting inspiration, and maybe have a glass of wine and watch Out of Africa for more ideas.

That deer is amazing! We have mounted wildlife which are currently in our unfinished basement, but when we do finish the space I'm going to have a Hemingway idea board ready to go. :)
October 16, 2013 at 9:29pm     
whalewatcher99
I would say def re gigging them so they can all fit on the one wall, the rug hanging over the fireplace, it's a big expense but I think changing floor to real wood or tile and having sisal rug with your animal skin down.
I would hang all the pictures behind the chair maybe a grouping of 4 In the same size frame. Can you take the antlers off top of dresser to make the look cleaner.
Buy new cushion to introduce some colour some plain some maybe with woven or textured finish.
Lastly paint walls and ceiling same colour with the trophy come tv wall being your darker feature wall. Take from tone of sofa but lighter.
October 16, 2013 at 9:47pm   
whalewatcher99
Had a quick look at PB website (real shame we don't have it in the UK) anyway I love their kilim pillows for the room.
Anyway hope you liked some of my ideas
October 16, 2013 at 9:58pm   
zippyvt
Weatherwife-I think bottom left head is a wildebeest (a.k.a. Gnu).
October 19, 2013 at 6:04pm     
cathyjoco
Hi, I know you said you were going to work on the kitchen, but couldn't you move your TV and cabinet from the current position to the corner of the wall and window? They make TV brackets for corners. Then move your couch 1/4 turn to sit on the wall it is on and in the middle of the room. Then use the wall with the pitched ceiling to make a group display of everything. I think you might need to move the tall cabinet and chair to the wall where the TV currently sits. I think you should paint a warmer color and hang some curtains.
October 19, 2013 at 7:20pm   
draper09
My kitchen is coming along! Here are before and after pics. I need backsplash, dining table, bar stools, rug, and statement piece for island. Any ideas? And any ideas for an accent color? The kitchen and living room(room with the mounts) are an open plan. I'm thinking the accent color for kitchen should be same for living room?
December 28, 2013 at 2:57pm   
grobby
Do you have a room that you could turn into a man cave for your hubby and use the mounts there.
December 28, 2013 at 3:08pm     
speedingkars
I love it just the way it is, but I really enjoy taxidermy. I may have gone a bit overboard in my house. Oh, well...it's my house :)
December 28, 2013 at 3:21pm   
stonezgirl
Draper, maybe this has already been said but how about putting the really big fella - currently top left ( our left as we look at him) over the fireplace. Then line the others directly on the adjacent wall so they are all together. Then you could watch TV and only see them if you look to the right. The animals will be happier together too. When they.'the clustered together in a grouping they might not seem as overpowering to the room. Husband happy, father in law remembered and honored and you're the best wife ever for making it work!
December 29, 2013 at 3:44am   
mjdon
Whatever or however you can do it move them to a man cave or find a extra room just for his trophies! LOL
December 29, 2013 at 5:03am   
Monique Jacqueline Design
If we look at the fireplace wall, there is not enough height for the rack on the large mount. So, over the fireplace would not be an option. Draper, correct me if I am wrong. I think that the large rack needs to stay at the tallest wall height possible and the other two need to collage in that vicinity so that you do not feel you have racks all over the room. I am wondering if the one on the far right moves to the far left, creating a bit of triangular feel between the mounts and out of the television view.

Oh, kitchen is looking great, by the way!
Cheers!
m
December 29, 2013 at 5:24am     
melchiade
Oh Boy! How about removing the TV altogether and hanging the big animal head where the tv goes instead. So every time your husband sits to watch TV he will find himself staring at those eyes instead. That might work, try it! This might also help him change his mind not only about his poor decorating choices but hunting as well.
December 29, 2013 at 6:30am   
weatherwife
Has your husband read any of these comments? I think the suggestions/opinions speak volumes whether or not he agrees to any of the changes. I sincerely hope that he is not offended and that he can put his feelings aside. (Explain to him that if he likes these animal heads, he should want them displayed in a way and in a place (preferably in another room) that best showcases them.)
Good luck.
December 29, 2013 at 6:44am   
weatherwife
Your kitchen is lovely.:)
December 29, 2013 at 6:45am   
draper09
The animal mounts will be staying. I would prefer them to be in a game room or man cave but I don't have that option at this time. I don't hate them I just think the placement could be better. I should mention we live in the country, have horses, and both hunt so it really isn't that unusual for us to have them. Some are my husbands mounts and some are his fathers. I want to find a way to keep the mounts but still have a nicely decorated house. I appreciate all the help and as soon as I finish my kitchen I'm going to start on this room. Right now I'm having a hard time tying in the kitchen and this room. It sounds like I need an accent color but it's difficult with the animals. I don't know what color will work with them. What about a rust color? Terra cotta?
December 29, 2013 at 7:16am     
armipeg
I don't consider animal heads "ART".
December 29, 2013 at 10:34am     
mkmort
Maybe a rich color that pulls from your granite. "Raw Cinnabar" by Behr. I know it's a children's room but it has mounts.
December 29, 2013 at 1:44pm     
Ron Ames Photography
Maybe soften the contrast of light walls against 3D heads by hanging grass cloth wallpaper
December 29, 2013 at 1:48pm     
weatherwife
Love the paint color suggestion and am totally wild about the grass cloth idea!!
December 29, 2013 at 2:30pm     
Scott Shipton
I would suggest a wireless speaker inserted so that when someone gets close you can scare the begibers out of them...I am a high tech man...lol. My Uncle would pull stuff like that!
December 29, 2013 at 2:54pm     
craljh
Draper, what do you think of the suggestions so far ? I would like to see the one under the deer head hung in place of the rug so that the heads are stair stepped down the wall. What do you think ? The big lone one placed on the short wall beside the window.
December 29, 2013 at 3:20pm     
Kitchen ceiling can placement - help please!
The answer to this is probably some where in the 265...
Cabin in the woods/Curb appeal?
Our home is in the woods and surrounded by trees, We...
HELP! We chose the wrong concrete patio finish and we hate it!
My husband I agonized for months over the type of patio...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...
Need help finishing kitchen update - back splash and decor.
Need help finishing kitchen update - back splash and...