Ideas for a cozy, comfy, but fabulous family room??!
shmooz44
We are moving into a new home in 2 weeks and our first project will be the family room. The space is great, with tons of natural light coming in, but we are not sure what to do with the space. My husband wants to mount our TV (51") on the wall, but what kind of furniture to go with, and what to do with the walls? As a point of reference, we love color! Would love some ideas!!
Terracegallery
Is this your decor or the previous owners?
August 27, 2013 at 8:47AM     
Do you have furniture of your own you'll be using? If so, I'd wait and post the dilemma once you're moved in. If you're purchasing new furnishings I strongly suggest a minimum of one sofa and two chairs, and if you prefer a sectional, get one with equal wings, not a chaise which makes for difficult arranging. If there is space for two sofas that will be even more flexible for you.
August 27, 2013 at 9:54AM     
shmooz44
Thank you! This is the decor from previous owners. The couch we have will not work in this room (black leather sectional with chaise), so we will be buying furniture and coffee table new. We will also do new carpet and paint walls, and hang TV most likely above the fireplace.
August 27, 2013 at 10:14AM   
Rachel Stephens
Is that a bathtub n the background through the door?
August 27, 2013 at 10:16AM     
How many required to be seated at one time for TV, etc?
August 27, 2013 at 10:28AM     
shmooz44
@Rachel - it's the "spa room" with an indoor jacuzzi. The owners currently have this room full of lounge chairs and lots of plants. I am not sure how we will decorate this room either (walls in that room are painted the same as the walls in the family room). @decoenthusiaste, my husband is a big sports guy, so watching TV with at least ~6 people should be comfortable. He also loves to have something comfortable to put his feet up on, so some type of hybrid coffee table/ottoman could be a good option for us. I would envision putting some family photos on canvas up on the wall. A comfortable couch is important to us, as well as getting a "warm" feeling and not too overdecorated.
August 27, 2013 at 11:26AM   
Is he a big guy and are pets or toddlers a consideration?
August 27, 2013 at 11:44AM   
Here are two good concepts. If the clock were a TV and the table a sofa, this might work. In the second one the chairs are swivels which are perfect for a TV/social room. You could simply switch out the coffee table for a large ottoman. Do you like either one?
Gathering Place
Kiawah Family Home
August 27, 2013 at 11:50AM   
shmooz44
He is 6'1 and sporty (played baseball in college). We have a chocolate lab who will sit on the couch/ottoman, and a 2 year old little girl who will not sit down for more than five seconds!
August 27, 2013 at 11:50AM   
Well then, I'd go for this look in leather or high quality ultra suede. I hear lots of good reports on the suede but I've only seen issues with it when clients obviously bought inferior grade furniture and had it sag, tear, lose nap and look terrible.
August 27, 2013 at 11:59AM   
Since the lab gets the ottoman some, you'll want some side tables for all the pieces so folks will have a place to put drinks, etc.
August 27, 2013 at 12:01PM   
Here's another view of #2 above and a couple of other more formal settings with the same 4/1 arrangement.
Kiawah Family Home
Garden City, New York
Living Room
August 27, 2013 at 12:03PM   
nancy22032
What an interesting room! Since your decor is going to be casual and your husband is a sports buff, why not include some sports memorabilia? There are some great pictures and paintings of famous stadiums, players and memorable games etc. You could pick a color scheme based on the picture or on your husband's college team (subtly of course)
no rah rah. It would be fun to have a theme that your husband and his friends would relate to and really good for your relationship. Men usually feel completely neglected or discounted when interior decoration is the subject. I have room in teal with lots of white woodwork and its gorgeous together - you can go brighter or softer - whatever your taste as there are many shades, some more blue, some more green.
August 27, 2013 at 12:27PM   
nancy22032
I looked at All Posters.com and they have a multitude of sports-related posters that are colorful. In the baseball line there is one by Norman Rockwell for the cover of the Sat. Evening Post called "Bottom of the Sixth". These posters reproduced as a Giclee print are quite nice and inexpensive. There are beautiful and colorful posters af many sports: skiing, surfing, tennis, football, are just a few. I think a group of these would be a fun and unusual way to decorate. All Posters will frame pictures - you pick the frame, and this is inexpensive also.
August 27, 2013 at 12:51PM   
shmooz44
Hi! Thanks for being so helpful! I really like the look of the Kiawah Family Home. My only concern is that the room is much wider than it is deep (more room on either side of the TV, as compared to directly in front of the TV). Still, there should be enough room to do the set up similar to this photo. I especially like the idea of the individual chairs that swivel. Now I just have to figure out where to find the right furniture.... Thanks!
August 27, 2013 at 1:04PM   
shmooz44
@nancy, thanks for the additional ideas! My husband would LOVE the idea...but we might have to save this one for his "man cave" once we finish the basement. Thanks :)
August 27, 2013 at 1:05PM   
14thstreet
You just can't go wrong with a great leather couch to start...

[houzz=34A ave]
houzz=Transitional Family Room]
[houzz=Alamo Square Living Room]

Super comfy, super durable. Pop your colors in a great area rug, accent pillows, artwork.
August 27, 2013 at 1:11PM   
14thstreet
Oh and I love the new space, it has LOADS of potential.
August 27, 2013 at 1:12PM      Thanked by shmooz44
If this is room of other owner, why not just copy it? It's working why mount TV when there is place for it? Just get a dark wood media for that corner. If you don't like so much furn. As in pic. Go a sectional L shape with return by TV or right side return. Paint, the numerous grays that are out now. Walls are just a back drop. Then bring in color though accessories. Big pieces of furn like sec should be a dove gray not brown or black. Very hard to work with. Chairs can be a print with dark gray. Yellow or teal or blue green shades are great for accents. Love the ceiling. A great room. Enjoy.
August 27, 2013 at 1:14PM   
Looks like carpet is gray? I would not use area rug over it. Even better to go gray on walls.ceiling white.
August 27, 2013 at 1:16PM   
Use only big art pieces with these high ceilings. They had too much going on. Reduce some tuff.
August 27, 2013 at 1:17PM   
Big square coffee table like pic. But go darker. Or big ottoman square in zebra. 36-40"
August 27, 2013 at 1:18PM   
I don't know about putting the TV where they had it. My husband's first comment was that that end of the room was off balance due to the dark TV closet.
August 27, 2013 at 1:19PM      Thanked by shmooz44
14thstreet
I agree with you on moving the TV. The cubby looks odd and dated...it needs to be turned into a built in bookshelf. Also, right now there are too many focal points.
August 27, 2013 at 1:21PM      Thanked by shmooz44
shmooz44
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas! Agreed about the TV, @decoenthusiaste/@14thstreet. I think the TV being hung will make the center of room a focal point and will balance the room nicely. The cubby is too small for our television currently. Also there are too many pieces of furniture and art statues in the room for our taste. I prefer not to do an "L" shaped couch - would prefer a straight couch with a few fun and cozy chairs that swivel. Would like to change the walls as they are currently textured as well.
August 27, 2013 at 1:36PM   
shmooz44
@14th street - by the way - I LOVE the color and accent walls in Alamo Square Living Room. Thanks!
August 27, 2013 at 1:55PM   
14thstreet
Me too! That was my favorite. Do you have the ability to put a large chandelier in that room like in the inspiration pic? It would be fabulous.
August 27, 2013 at 2:01PM   
Need ideas to make an awkward family room cozy
Our family room has a very awkward layout. I have two...
Design comfy family room
Long room with fireplace in center and TV in corner...
Need help to make my family room look & feel cozy
Does anyone have any ideas of how I could re-arrange...
Need Lots Of Help To Make This A Cozy, Family Friendly TV Room
Pictures show this room as it currently sits. Looking...
Need help to make high ceiling family room feels cozy
I am not the fan of high ceiling design. Any ideas...
kitchen faucet
looking for brushed stainless steel faucet with a sensor....
How much should professional painting cost for 1800sq.ft
We are in the process of getting a quote from a custom...
What plants can grow in the shade of bamboo?
Help! My neighbor planted bamboo on her side of the...
what tile sealer to use on honed travertine tile
I need t have travertine tile sealed. Would like to...
White hardi?
It's time for us to choose exterior paint colors and...